PDA

View Full Version : Car for under $1K?

gstq
07-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Hey.. My sister is getting her G2 this month and is looking to buy a car, however she's on a budget. She's got $1,200 max. to spend on a car. She told me that she doesn't really care about how the car looks (beggars can't be choosers), but she wants the car to last for at least a year or two (that is, things CAN go wrong, but they can't be major and should be cheap to fix).

Any suggestions? She couldn't find anything in the AutoTrader in our area. Everything was "good for parts" or "as is, not running" that was in her budget range.

D911
07-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Buy yourself a festiva.

Those things are pretty cheap.

adam c
07-02-2006, 10:47 PM
remember it has to pass a safety inspection. doubt ur gonna find a car for that cheap that will pass

3G
07-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by adam c
remember it has to pass a safety inspection. doubt ur gonna find a car for that cheap that will pass

most being the key word there are a bit in that price range that will pass inspection, they probably will just need a windshield to pass it. Dunno what the laws are out there for safeties. Try to find a late 80's Honda/Toyota, that would be here best bet, or maybe an early 90's

HiTempguy1
07-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Sprint, Firefly, or Metro. If she can drive a stick, you can procure a turbo model for $1200 hands down that will pass a safety.

adam c
07-02-2006, 11:07 PM
i had to safety my first car
they checked everything even more then u would normally suspect.. like side mirrors

Goggle
07-02-2006, 11:19 PM
nevermind, haha. I said I had a car for 750, and 89 ford probe. But I assumed you lived in Alberta.

gstq
07-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Goggle
nevermind, haha. I said I had a car for 750, and 89 ford probe. But I assumed you lived in Alberta.

Oh God how I wished I lived out there. ;) I'll be moving there in a few years though. :thumbsup:

Proboscis
07-03-2006, 02:45 AM
get intouch with a lease company, they blow out there old inventory that is 5 years old or more. HiTempguy1 has a good point on them cars, very fun to drive and its a blast to see the turbo light kick in. Those 3 bangers are plenty in junkyards, so parts are cheap ;O

Goggle
07-04-2006, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by gstq

Oh God how I wished I lived out there. ;) I'll be moving there in a few years though. :thumbsup:

Hit the island! I love it here. The rain gets a little crazy in the colder months, but the summer is ridiculous. Surfing in Tofino, hiking the west coast. It's hard to live anywhere else.