PDA

View Full Version : Sis needs a new ride....suggestions?

Grip172
07-03-2006, 01:03 AM
ok my sis needs to get rid of her 91 tercel and get something newer. she graduated with her biology degree so she works alot in the forest right now..doing bird studies and boring stuff like that :rolleyes: anyways come late summer she will be looking for a new ride and wants to stick to imports.she doesn't want a HUGE gas guzzler but can't get a car
i suggested nissan pathfinder or a gmc jimmy/chev blazer....what ould you guys recommend to her that would be relatively cheap and better on gas..and something not stupid huge?

XylathaneGTR
07-03-2006, 01:12 AM
If she wants a new import car, she could possibly look into one of the "Grad Programs" most companies have....
For ex, Nissan gives Recent grads some cash back, .25% finance rate, and a few other perks, on most of their entry vehicles (Sentra, Altima, Frontier, X-Trail etc.)
Quite a few other companies have similar programs set up for post 2ndary grads, so check around i guess.

adam c
07-03-2006, 01:42 AM
u would think a biologist would want a smart car or a hybrid

xrayvsn
07-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Subaru Forester or Outback. Better on gas than the others you suggest, has AWD and ample storage for her field gear.

Grip172
07-03-2006, 11:57 AM
yeah she was thinking of forestor but she wants something with more ground cleareance and said she wouldn't be caught dead driving in a baja

yeah she wouldn't drive a smartcar..she may be concious of the environment but she still has some self respect/dignity haha

90Tegra
07-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Celica

FiveFreshFish
07-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Grip172
yeah she was thinking of forestor but she wants something with more ground cleareance and said she wouldn't be caught dead driving in a baja

How about a RAV4?

5hift
07-03-2006, 11:11 PM

yeah she wouldn't drive a smartcar..she may be concious of the environment but she still has some self respect/dignity haha

Pathfinders and Jimmy/Blazers are complete gas guzzlers. If a forester is too low I would consider the Toyota Highlander Hybrid. They cost in the low 30's, trusted Toyota name, and amazing fuel economy.

SC2
07-03-2006, 11:25 PM
^ True, but Hybrids are not completely understood on how they work.

They fuel economy is high whislt city driving, low speeds, stop and go.

The highway? Just like any other car on the road.

cocoabrova
07-03-2006, 11:40 PM
How much does she want to spend?

CryoCarnage
07-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by SC2
^ True, but Hybrids are not completely understood on how they work.

They fuel economy is high whislt city driving, low speeds, stop and go.

The highway? Just like any other car on the road.
they are actually worse on the highway at cruise.

adam c
07-04-2006, 01:07 AM
what about a 4runner? or even a jeep?

That.Guy.S30
07-04-2006, 08:03 AM
i would choose a forester. small SUV that handles like a car. the awd is much better than most 4wd systems in the other SUVS mentioned.

who needs ground clearance anyways? does she take that thing boggin or what?

Mitsu3000gt
07-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Buy a forester XT. It is nice and fast, has AWD and has pretty good gound clearance. If a new car does not fit the budget, I agree with the pathfinder and rav 4 ideas. The pathfinder VS Jimmy/blazer threads pop up every now and then and they always pretty well unanimously say jimmys/blazers are crap.

What about a FJ cruiser also?

Mark

xrayvsn
07-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Buy a forester XT

Originally posted by xrayvsn
Subaru Forester or Outback.

Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
i would choose a forester. small SUV that handles like a car.

yeah she was thinking of forestor but she wants something with more ground cleareance

Thats too bad, I think the Forester would be a good car, if not for the ground clearance. If she wants better gas mileage the XT may not be ideal. I know a couple who just bought a Foreseter after having a Jeep YJ, and the husband is always in the field doing geology work. In his opinion, the Forester is a better vehicle in every way.

If she is dead set against Forester, why not a Jeep? I can't think of too many things that fit the criteria of:
1. Good ground clearance
2. Not huge, but not a car
3. Better on gas
4. Potentially AWD/4WD

dave101
07-04-2006, 10:52 AM
nissan xterra

benyl
07-04-2006, 11:00 AM

I am pretty sure the forester has as much ground clearance as a pathfinder or Jimmy.

The Forrester has independant rear suspension and the diff is way up in the body. The live axel on most SUVs is what limits ground clearance. Don't just look at the rocker panel... look under the car.

Do NOT get a Forrester XT if you want good gas mileage.

benyl
07-04-2006, 11:03 AM

Mark

You need to read what he is looking for. The FJ cruiser has a 4.0 litre V6 and weighs a tonne (5600 lbs). It takes a tonne of fuel too (16 mpg in the city, 19 on the highway).

spyce
07-04-2006, 11:05 AM
what kind of budget is she looking at for her new car?

Khalil.e
07-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Nissan x trail...new
toyota rav4...new

nissan x trail ...used
nissan xterra...used
98 or so pathfinder with the older 3.0 engine...better on gas than the new (2001 - 2003) 3.5 or newest 4.0

Mitsu3000gt
07-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by benyl

You need to read what he is looking for. The FJ cruiser has a 4.0 litre V6 and weighs a tonne (5600 lbs). It takes a tonne of fuel too (16 mpg in the city, 19 on the highway).

I did not know that about the FJ or I wouldn't of suggested it. Thanks.

Mark

khtm
07-04-2006, 11:19 AM
I got a new ride for her! <points at crotch> :D

blitz
07-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by benyl

I am pretty sure the forester has as much ground clearance as a pathfinder or Jimmy.

The Forrester has independant rear suspension and the diff is way up in the body. The live axel on most SUVs is what limits ground clearance. Don't just look at the rocker panel... look under the car.

Do NOT get a Forrester XT if you want good gas mileage.

The XT has 7.9" ground clearance, and a new pathfinder has 8.1" (I believe)

That being said, I went through the same thing, I wanted a XT but needed something good for shitting forestry and lease roads. I've hit quite a few situations that I don't think a forester could have handled.

I think the X-terra is one of the best small SUV's out there. Same basic frame as the pathfinder, same engine and drivetrain, just a little smaller. Still pricey though, a buddy of mine paid 41k out the door on a fully loaded SE Offroad.

Xtrema
07-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by khtm
I got a new ride for her! &lt;points at crotch&gt; :D

Yeah, lots of ground clearance too.

:rofl:

Anyway.....

06 Nissan X trail has clearance of 8" VS RAV4 and Forester's 7.5"

Has a EPA rating of 10.5/7.8 and about a few thousands less than a comparable Forester.

If she can get pass the dated look and style, I think this is her best bet between ground clearance and fuel enconomy.

That.Guy.S30
07-04-2006, 02:30 PM

If she is dead set against Forester, why not a Jeep? I can't think of too many things that fit the criteria of:
1. Good ground clearance
2. Not huge, but not a car
3. Better on gas
4. Potentially AWD/4WD

i had a YJ and it was the biggest peice ever. those things spend more time in the shop than anything else. it was pretty bad on gas 4.0l inline 6.

Unknown303
07-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Buy a forester XT. It is nice and fast, has AWD and has pretty good gound clearance. If a new car does not fit the budget, I agree with the pathfinder and rav 4 ideas. The pathfinder VS Jimmy/blazer threads pop up every now and then and they always pretty well unanimously say jimmys/blazers are crap.

Mark

FJ for the win!! Those things are sweet. and mid 30's depending on what your spec'ing for them i guess.

Mitsu3000gt
07-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

i had a YJ and it was the biggest peice ever. those things spend more time in the shop than anything else. it was pretty bad on gas 4.0l inline 6.

:werd: Then take a look inside - plastic for windows, POS construction and parts throughout, bare metal EVERYWHERE, rattles, squeaks everywhere, etc. etc. And for $30G's++ new??? you would have to be retarded IMO to buy one. There is not NEARLY enough technology or quality in a jeep to even come close to $30g's+. They are $10-12k new cars IMO. Good offroad though, so i guess if thats all you want to do....

Mark

Lex350
07-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Subaru Forester or Outback. Better on gas than the others you suggest, has AWD and ample storage for her field gear.

I was thinking the same thing.