PDA

View Full Version : SprayBomb

Datsun-Fever
07-03-2006, 03:39 AM
Hey, anyone know where i can read up some more on painting a car with cans? does anyone who has attempted this have some suggestions on brands, and the process itself? thanks!

Cooked Rice
07-03-2006, 10:39 AM
I've painted with cans all over my car and you can't notice much of a difference unless you really examine it close up. I use dupli-color. I posted this in a thread earlier:

Here's how I do it:
1) Sand down to bare metal or to primer using a orbital sander with 200 grit.
2) apply bondo to dents/deep scratches
3) sand smooth the bondo level with the metal
4) clean surface with dupli color prep wipe
5) prime with a quality filler primer, once again I prefer dupli color for everything, filler primer will get into small nicks/scratches and fill it up
6) let the primer flash
(make sure car is in garage, and wet the garage floor, so dust dosnt lift off the floor onto your wet paint, also close the door, and wear a respirator)
7) clean surface again
8) apply a light first coat of paint, it's important you go light, don't rush the paint job
9) wait an hour, I prefer 2 hours if you have time, don't touch the paint
8) run over the pain with a tack rag to remover any dust
9) apply another light 2nd coat
10) repeat steps 9-8
11) apply final 3rd coat
12) let the paint harden, this can take up to 3-5 days. It's important that you wait till it's fully hardened.
(after paint hardens/cures)
13) clean with prep wipe
14) apply clear coat, you can go a little bit heavier with clear coat than with normal paint especially if your paint job 'oranged peeled' meaning the texture dried like the surface of a orange
15) allow clear coat to cure, about 5 days
16) if your paint orange peeled, wet sand by hand with 2000 grit or higher
17) apply clear coat again
16) allow clear coat to cure, about 5 days
17) now your done

slammed_cb7
07-03-2006, 11:08 AM
I did it on my car too and i found that finishing made all the differnce in the world. I used a one satge though so i didn't clear coat, which would probably have been the better route in retrospect, anyway i did the same as written above except after the paint curing, instead of applying clear coat, i did the finish work. THis all consisted of rubing/polishing compound and a 3 step cleaner/ wax and polish by meguiars. It seemed to work really well. Aside from the shitty body work i rushed through, the paint is a pretty close match. Make sure you know how much of the car (if not all of it) ahead of time so you dont end up painting half your car with the litttle crappy tire dupli color cans like i did.:thumbsup:

Datsun-Fever
07-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys, helps alot, ill take some pictures of how it turns out....
Last thing, when you buy cans of gloss black dupicolor, it is one stage, correct?

Mikey_008
07-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Here's my experience with spray bomb....I painted my whole front end with it.....turned out awesome!

http://www.boomspeed.com/silverdragon/JDM5.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/silverdragon/JDM3.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/silverdragon/JDM6.jpg

Palmiros
07-03-2006, 11:45 PM
^^^ looks good.

Mikey_008
07-03-2006, 11:47 PM
:thumbsup: thanks!!!

Cooked Rice
07-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Here's my spoiler I did:
http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/18/IMG_1243.JPG

http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/18/IMG_1244.JPG

It's sitting in my basement until I repaint the trunk. Before painting it was fading to white. After a finishing touch with some polish it will look new, if not looking new already.

h_s
07-04-2006, 12:32 AM
every time i try it always runs,

3G
07-04-2006, 01:06 AM
I paint bombed half of my old car didnt look too bad

M_K_3
07-04-2006, 01:20 AM
MIKE DONT DO IT BRO ILL SEE IF ILL DO IT FOR U WHEN I DO MINE K

Mikey_008
07-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by h_s

Try not to spray too close to the surface and also not to stay painting one area for more than 2 seconds! The trick is to start from left to right and keep about a 2-3 inch distance from the can to the surface! if you get too close, then chances area you'll probably end up with runs, or a dark lines!

gp36912
07-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by h_s

the reason it runs is your spraying too much paint down, if you keep it at light strokes about 3-4 inchs away you get a nice even coat that dosn't run. :D ive spraybombed quite a few things, not my car though. and it always turns out very well, if you have some patience.

Dayclone
07-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Oh man I did my sideskirts with em you can't tell a difference if I used spray bombs or not... it's fucking sexy as hell... I gotta get you pics of my teggy once it's all detailed and plished etc...

Steve

D911
07-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Spraybombs are a slippery slope mike.

:)

GQBalla
07-04-2006, 10:54 PM
wow some nice work there!

ninspeed
07-05-2006, 01:31 AM
RM has a new spray bomb clear that has a hardner in it.. all you do is hit the can down on the bottom so the hardner tube in the can breaks open, and the hardner mixes with the clear... you have about 1-1.5hrs to use the spray bomb once you activate it.. its great for the small jobs you guys are doing your self. However... you need more than a n-95 dust mask when painting with this... harnders kill you