PDA

View Full Version : High Peircing Noise?

joyridder
07-03-2006, 08:32 PM
I am really beginning to hate this computer.....
I purchased a Pentium 4 3.07GHz about in April. About a week or so after I initially got it delivered I noticed that the fan was abnormally loud, compared to other computers that I use currently ie)work comp...
Then about a week or ago, I had to have the hard drive replaced as it was not recognizing any partitions upon start up. Good thing it was under warranty! I just got it back on Friday, when now I am noticing a high piercing noise (sounds like my HD or disk drive spinning to fast in a way??). I have no CD in the disk drive, but if I could simply explain the sound it would sort of represent a fan belt that needs replacing??? I hope this makes sense, if not I sound like a babbling idiot....
any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
PS I have called tech support again and they offer no suggestions.....:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

frostyda9
07-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Turn on the computer without the hard drive attached, enter BIOS and let it sit there. You can then listen for the noise and see if it is indeed the HD.

If the video card requires a separate 4 pin power connector, it will screech like a cat getting run over if it isn't plugged in.

JAYMEZ
07-03-2006, 08:45 PM
It might be stupid , but when my comp does high pitch noises , i clean the fans .. just a thought?

joyridder
07-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the help guys!
I am going to look in to this later when I get home from work and see what the problem is.......:devil:

frostyda9
07-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Check the northbridge fan as well (if so equipped)...they are notoriously high-RPM, low quality fans prone to failure. On my old MSI board it was the loudest part of the system...a constant whining sound caused by a rorational speed of around 6000 RPM.

joyridder
07-04-2006, 02:41 PM
The only bad part about checking the fan to see if that is the problem is that I cannot open my tower at all or it will void the warranty....:rolleyes:

sxtasy
07-06-2006, 09:36 PM
out of curiosity, how much did u pay for this computer?
;)

frostyda9
07-06-2006, 10:38 PM
four letters.... first is a D...last three sound like another letter

Palmiros
07-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by joyridder
The only bad part about checking the fan to see if that is the problem is that I cannot open my tower at all or it will void the warranty....:rolleyes:

LOL are you shitting me?
Are you sure its a Pentium 4?:) (if they void the warranty upon opening the tower case..)
You only need to take the sides off.. they wouldn't even be able to tell you opened it unless you fuckup the screws.

frostyda9
07-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Or unless...say...they put a sticker on the edge that's just about impossible to remove without visibly damaging.