PDA

View Full Version : Q: Home audio setup

hash
07-03-2006, 10:02 PM
I just bought an lcd tv (26'') and the picture is great, but the audio is a little weak (2x5watts). I was wondering if and how I can set up some external speakers with this tv without having to buy an amplifier.

The sales guy from the store said that I could get an adapter and just hook up computer speakers to it. Are there any other products made exclusively for such an application? All I need is stereo sound, and doesn't need to be very loud at all... just a little bit more than what I have right now. I believe the TV has the regular white+red audio out plugs (RCA?). As you can tell, I'm new to this.

core_upt
07-04-2006, 10:38 AM
If you wanted to run laptop speakers, plus them into the headphone 'out' quality is then dependant on the quality of the new speakers - I would suggest at decent 2.1 speaker setup, make sure the speakers are well shielded too!

spike98
07-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Go to XS cargo and get a $100 home theater in a box. It will be better than any jimmy-rig computer speaker setup you could do. A lot cheaper too.

frostyda9
07-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by hash
I just bought an lcd tv (26'') and the picture is great, but the audio is a little weak (2x5watts). I was wondering if and how I can set up some external speakers with this tv without having to buy an amplifier.

The sales guy from the store said that I could get an adapter and just hook up computer speakers to it. Are there any other products made exclusively for such an application? All I need is stereo sound, and doesn't need to be very loud at all... just a little bit more than what I have right now. I believe the TV has the regular white+red audio out plugs (RCA?). As you can tell, I'm new to this.

This is the adapter if you want to go the computer speaker route, but it's not a great option, IMO

http://www.minidisc.org/soundprofessionals/cables/img/stroadpt.jpg

A cheap receiver/integrated amp paired with some budget Polk Audio R10/R15's would decimate the computer speaker setup for a little more money ;)

hash
07-11-2006, 09:32 AM
thanks a lot for the info ppl. i'll keep my eyes open for a decent amp/speaker setup.