PDA

View Full Version : Deeper exhaust sound

Palmiros
07-04-2006, 01:21 AM
Yes, i`m a noob, but we all have to learn sometime.
What is the cheapest way to get a "deeper sounding" exhaust? I`m not looking to gain HP, spend $$$ on a performance exhaust or to BLOW OFF the people walking on the sidewalk. Just something mid-size (sound wise) that I`ll be able to hear, and other people as well. This is for an Oldsmobile (obviously American car, V6) So basically, cheapest way to get deeper sounding exhaust. I guess we all have a lil'bit'o ricer down inside. :)

Thanks

adam c
07-04-2006, 01:43 AM
are u sure? it will sound cool for awhile then ur gonna hate it

Palmiros
07-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by adam c
are u sure? it will sound cool for awhile then ur gonna hate it

Yea.. thats why I was thinking something on the mild side. You know, something louder than stock, yet not ear-irritating loud.
Thanks again..

**EDIT** I actually saw a friends car, he had this done on his Honda, he had the option of controlling the "deeper sound" by switch or something (from inside the car), is this possible?:S

adam c
07-04-2006, 01:57 AM
ive never heard of that..

i had an exhaust on my old car and i ended up putting the silencer in because if drove me nuts, i could barely hear myself think, yea it was cool for awhile, but even with the silencer it was still kinda annoying.

what i want to get is an exhaust that is quiet in the low rpm range yet starts to gain in the higher rpm.. thats what i would more suggest then a standalone constant exhaust

Palmiros
07-04-2006, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by adam c
ive never heard of that..

i had an exhaust on my old car and i ended up putting the silencer in because if drove me nuts, i could barely hear myself think, yea it was cool for awhile, but even with the silencer it was still kinda annoying.

what i want to get is an exhaust that is quiet in the low rpm range yet starts to gain in the higher rpm.. thats what i would more suggest then a standalone constant exhaust

Fair enough. What would you recommend?:S

infected
07-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Take out your resonators. ;)

tapout
07-04-2006, 02:24 AM
what motor?3.1,3.8 1 of these cut the cat that alone is good or a magnaflow muffler very nice sound

Mitsu3000gt
07-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Those 3.8 or 3.1L V6's make a "gargling" or "burbling" sound which is made way worse by adding an exhaust. If this is a sound you like, then by all means but if you know what I mean and do not like this, then think twice before you amplify that sound.

Mark

SilverBoost
07-04-2006, 10:04 AM
The best way to make an exhaust sound like it has more performance is to give it some.

True story.

ZedMan
07-04-2006, 10:08 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/thew902/no_wai.jpg

SilverBoost
07-04-2006, 10:26 AM
^^^^

how long you been waiting to use that one?

Seriously though, if you want an exhaust that sounds good add a performance exhaust. Otherwise you're just playing a guessing game with fart cans anyhow seeing which one might sound good. And they will give you zero benefit.

At least with a full exhaust (cat back at least) you're freeing up a little horsepower and you can tune that sound with your choice of muffler in combination with resonators to keep the tone deep and less irritating.

habsfan
07-04-2006, 10:32 AM
what i would actually recommend considering would be to make yourself some ghetto home made intake with an open element air filter. that way you'll get a throatier sound under acceleration that isn't always there to annoy you. so when you're driving your olds like, well, an olds it'll be quiet and civil, but when you hit the throttle a little harder, it'll be that much louder. something to consider.

typhoonslippery
07-04-2006, 11:49 AM
oh yes the 2.8l and 3.1l in late 80s early 90s chevs were horrible .... nastiest sound ever and you could distinctly tell it apart from other cars when it as approaching and anything to take away from the exhaust system will only make it sound worse ... add a resonator or 2 for our sake

Apexi ECV .... Exhaust Control Valve is a flapper valve that can be opened or closed while inside the car to control the volume of the exhaust

variable_x
07-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by typhoonslippery
oh yes the 2.8l and 3.1l in late 80s early 90s chevs were horrible .... nastiest sound ever and you could distinctly tell it apart from other cars when it as approaching and anything to take away from the exhaust system will only make it sound worse ... add a resonator or 2 for our sake

Apexi ECV .... Exhaust Control Valve is a flapper valve that can be opened or closed while inside the car to control the volume of the exhaust

Anyone used the Apexi ECV yet? Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of it? Thanks.

CalgarySupra
07-04-2006, 02:07 PM
i bought a full exhust HKS system with downpipe not cat converter. it was worth about 2500. so i had it installed it gives it a deep sound not a cheap sounding .

But i missed the quiet exhust so i just cut off the hks part and put hte toyota muffler back on didnt loose performance.

Unknown303
07-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Palmiros

Yea.. thats why I was thinking something on the mild side. You know, something louder than stock, yet not ear-irritating loud.
Thanks again..

**EDIT** I actually saw a friends car, he had this done on his Honda, he had the option of controlling the "deeper sound" by switch or something (from inside the car), is this possible?:S

Are we thinking of a Wastegate?? when you flick the switch it bypassed the muffler and then the switch is off it goes through muffler.

Palmiros
07-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Are we thinking of a Wastegate?? when you flick the switch it bypassed the muffler and then the switch is off it goes through muffler.

No, someone mentioned it above.

Unknown303
07-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Oh right, just finished reading the posts again, guess the Apexi was mentioned there.

frostyda9
07-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by typhoonslippery

That is very true. Like a 302 Mustang, your ears tell you what it is before your eyes do. If you want to deepen the tone, remove intake restrictions. Some of the cars used a slitted rubber tit under the air box, all you had to do was yank that piece out and it made the exhaust more "full" sounding.

Graham_A_M
07-04-2006, 06:32 PM
If you add the right exhaust that compliments the sound characteristics of the 2.8 or 3.1... then it sounds stellar. I've seen one with a very high end exhaust; either Borla or Bassani (I forget.. or maybe it was something else) It was phenominal sounding, but yeah a fart-cat on a Z24 sounds awful...

Palmiros
07-05-2006, 12:17 AM
By the way, someone was asking, which engine it is. It's a 2.8L.
Now, ok, so I`m inclined towards the Apexi ECV, so what do i need?, The Apexi ECV(which is like a limitator i guess) and ..?

Steve-O 00
07-05-2006, 12:49 AM
if you want cheap use a coffee can lol

if you want something that sounds good i think you have to spend money cause when it comes to cars or anything for that matter you get what you pay for.

Try a company I think we have all heard of magnaflow they make some nice stuff :bigpimp: