PDA

View Full Version : New license law?

Gurpy
07-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Hey,

So I heard a rumour that if you don't get your license by october you can't get it until your 18. Anyone know if this is true or not? Doesn't really matter for me, just curious.

nismodrifter
07-04-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that is already in effect and has been in place since the graduated license system was adopted.

C4S
07-04-2006, 08:44 PM
:thumbsup:

Gurpy
07-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
I'm pretty sure that is already in effect and has been in place since the graduated license system was adopted.

Definately not, a friend whos 17 just got his license - and I booked my test for thursday (im 16)

Edit: Forgot, another friend whos 16 got his license less than a week ago.

shakalaka
07-04-2006, 10:41 PM
As far as I know what the GDL did was that you are supposed to keep your learner's for atleast 2 years. And now you can't get your learners until you are 16, so it automatically makes the person 18 by the time they get the proper license.

Gurpy
07-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Still 1 year for learners too, you have to keep your learners for one year then get a license which basically allows you to do everything except no alcohol and less demerit points allowed. Then you have to have that license for 2 years before you can have the gdl thing, which makes you 18. Damn, there's mixed thoughts on this everywhere....i'll ask the people at the registry tomorrow if I remember and let you guys know

finboy
07-05-2006, 07:16 AM
thank god for GDL :thumbsup:

Alex_FORD
07-05-2006, 12:14 PM
there seems to always be some confusion on this matter. I think it has to do with the new vs old definitions of drivers liscense.

Can you get your 'liscense' before 18? Nope.

Can you get a liscense that allows you to drive before 18? Yup.

SunniSunShine
07-05-2006, 12:24 PM
im 19 and i dont have my learners yet, if i got gdl do i still have to wait a year to get my class 5?

the_new_santa1
07-05-2006, 12:26 PM
ok...here is how GDL works...Gdl is a program set up for young drivers to have more restrictions..
Class7(learners)Can get it on or after your 14th birthday.
restrictions-
Cannot drive between the hours of 12 and 5 am...
zero alchol...
only as many passangers as there is seatbelts...
must have a person over the age of 18 that is not gld with them at all times while driving seated in the FRONT seat.....
class5(GDL)Can get it after 1 year of having your learners, 2 years if your 14 when you get your learners...Minimum age of 16 to get it...
restrictions-
Zero alchol
no more people that seatbelts
get 8 demerits as apposed to the regular 15
and when you have your licence for more than 2 years you can go and take another road test and try to get your full licence...
Helpful word of advice:
I live in a small town so it may be difffrent for you city guys...
I was late for school and passed my drving tester as we only have one out here in strathmore. BAD IDEA.....I know when i go back for my full licence test i am going to get anal rangewred by this lady...when I passed her she was PISSED!!!!!!
:eek:

the_new_santa1
07-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by SunniSunShine
im 19 and i dont have my learners yet, if i got gdl do i still have to wait a year to get my class 5?

yes.....

lush
07-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Alex_FORD
there seems to always be some confusion on this matter. I think it has to do with the new vs old definitions of drivers liscense.

Can you get your 'liscense' before 18? Nope.

Can you get a liscense that allows you to drive before 18? Yup.

You can get a learners when you are 14. You can start driving when you're 16 but you'll be on GDL until you're 18 or whenever you decide to get the "advanced road test"

Alex_FORD
07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
im 19 and i dont have my learners yet, if i got gdl do i still have to wait a year to get my class 5? .

:eek: Its costs alot of money to not have a drivers liscense. Do you know how many employers want to hire idiots that can't or won't get a liscense?

Rockski
07-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by finboy
thank god for GDL :thumbsup:

now if they will just start re testing for old drivers as well

SunniSunShine
07-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Alex_FORD

:eek: Its costs alot of money to not have a drivers liscense. Do you know how many employers want to hire idiots that can't or won't get a liscense?

unlike you i am employed already.. im not worried about that

88CRXGUY
07-05-2006, 04:43 PM
It dont cost alot of money if you work at 711 nad your house is within walking distance.

I have a question. I got my full alberta lisence 4 days before the GDL went into effect here in alberta(I had BC learners before). Now my question is on my drivers license(class 5) it says probationary. Why is it like that, I wasn't under the GDL program, so why does my license say that??? Can someone explain that...

Alex_FORD
07-05-2006, 04:50 PM

unlike you i am employed already.. im not worried about that

Dude, I could have been more rude than I was, but I didn't think it was neccessary....

...I could have said:

EDITED because I think it was in bad taste after finding out that 'dude' is actually a 'dudette'

but I would never say that to a fellow beyonder that just acused me of not having a job, so have a nice day!

88CRXGUY
07-05-2006, 05:04 PM
He sounds really proud of yourself for being employed, good for you for doing something that no one else has ever done before...

IDIOT...

SunniSunShine
07-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 88CRXGUY
He sounds really proud of yourself for being employed, good for you for doing something that no one else has ever done before...

IDIOT...

yes he sounds really proud of yourself.. he is also really proud of herself for passing grade 3 engrish :english:

and alex sorry to be harsh, but dont put too much emphasis on driving, i am female what job do i need that requires being able to drive?.. any job ive worked has been bussing distance, and my boyfriend and i work at the same place so he drives me to and from anyways :bigpimp:

88CRXGUY
07-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Ive had jobs to where I didnt need to have a car...Its not like your life is going to end if you dont have a car...

arian_ma
07-06-2006, 02:42 AM
why are you flaming each other? :confused:
Does every thread have to include someone degrading someone else?

szw
07-06-2006, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
why are you flaming each other? :confused:
Does every thread have to include someone degrading someone else?

It started because for some reason Alex_ford is really upset that some people don't drive. I don't get it.

Neil4Speed
07-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Once you get your learners, you must hold onto it for 1 year until you are eligible to apply for GDL.

SunniSunShine, get your learners ASAP, you never know when it might come in handy, and that way, when you actually have the need to drive it won't be a problem.

Kobe
07-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Gdl is useless, been on it for just under 3 years now, Im just 2 lazy to get off of it...

Will it lower my insurance if I take that test? I just don't want to pay $100 for some bullshit test....

vc-kev
07-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
Gdl is useless, been on it for just under 3 years now, Im just 2 lazy to get off of it...

Will it lower my insurance if I take that test? I just don't want to pay $100 for some bullshit test....

Lol I'm the same, i've been on GDL for over 2.5 years, but why waste the extra cash?

Alex_FORD
07-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

Save your $100 bucks and don't take the test :devil:

Alex_FORD
07-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by szw

It started because for some reason Alex_ford is really upset that some people don't drive. I don't get it.

:rofl: :rofl: I just feel that some people end up costing themselves alot more money avoiding the tests than the cost to take.