PDA

View Full Version : Because deadsoulasis started this.....

Xtrema
07-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Sony suffers multiple woes
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32811

NEXT GERENATION is reporting that Analyst P. J. McNealy of American Technology Research announced at the recent MI6 conference that the PlayStation 3's complexity could act as a significant hurdle in the early phases of the console's production.

McNealy said: "This is now the most complex box that's ever been built in this industry ... While Sony has certain manufacturing advantages at the end of the day, this is a very complex process, and they're going to be limited to the yields that they can come up with..." and "The number of pieces that are going into this box are even more astounding [than the over 1700 parts used in the Xbox 360]."

While this is hardly surprising news to anyone in the games industry, it's interesting research groups and individuals are already touting that Sony will have a below-target output of the much maligned PS3 console and attempting to play down the market's expectations, way before pre-production begins.

This analysis from McNealy has been coupled with a June released report from DFC Intelligence entitled 'Could Sony Go From First to Worst?' which is based upon Sony's possible fall from grace and the possibility of a third-place scenario for Sony in the next generation console war. Price is the immediate focus for DFC, unsurprisingly considering the console's extravagant pricing. This isn't good reading for any Sony shareholder, developer or fanboy.

Furthermore, IGN have translated a survey from the oldest Japanese games-rag available; Ge-Maga. 90.29% of the surveyed Japanese denizens feel the PS3 launch price was too much, 56.31% disagreed with Sony's choice of two SKUs and 62.13% feel that the system wouldn't reach the 6m sales mark Sony had set itself, by March of next year. If the Japanese public can't be sure of efforts from its home-grown Sony, its doubtful any American or European user-base is quickly going to take-up the option of the $600 system either.

Prickly analysts and avid gaming fan-mags aren't the only bad news for Sony. The Associated Press are reporting that the Tokyo Regional Taxation Bureau have told Sony to hand over $243 million in unpaid tax due to faults in tax filings related to PlayStation sales in the US from 1999 to 2005 and other CD/DVD businesses interests overseas between 2003 and 2004. Sony are planning to file a protest with the Japanese tax authorities citing double taxation under US-Japan bilateral tax treaties.

It seems Sony would be best-off focusing the organisation's efforts on cutting the cost of its next generation console, as opposed to wasting time on the installation of root-kits on its audio-cds and its other draconian DRM ventures.

heavyD
07-05-2006, 12:59 PM
I have a feeling I'm going to have a harder time getting a PS3 at launch than the 360.:( You know Sony will allocate more units to Japan so North America will get the scraps. Might be a good thing though as I think the reliability of launch PS3's may make the launch 360's look like they were made by Toyota. The high price plus scarcity of units will just make it easier for consumers to purchase the 360 or Wii instead. At least I will have Gears of War this fall/winter.:burnout:

deadsoulasis
07-05-2006, 01:01 PM
I didnt start anything :burnout:

I know Sony is having trouble right at the moment
Personally I too, as well feel they wont reach there target as they did with PS2
Not as quickly ...

But Im sure the PS3 will have huge demands for the system
(Its already been confirmed that over 4 million hits have been made for wanting a pre-order from lik-sang)

That in itself is 1.2 million more then PS2's.

Now do I feel its going to hit #1? :dunno:
Too early to tell ...by 2008 I feel it will ...

What the average person doesn't see is what it [acually] takes for a successful launch...
Xbox's wasnt the best...neither was 360's

Prices will drop though as did every single console in the past has.And that's just history repeating itself

deadsoulasis
07-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Gears of War is porting to PS3 *lol*:D

http://gearsofwar.com/NR/rdonlyres/DCA69F67-62A9-471A-9EFA-4C8BB5666EC5/0/screen2.jpg

Xtrema
07-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by deadsoulasis
Gears of War is porting to PS3 *lol*:D

http://gearsofwar.com/NR/rdonlyres/DCA69F67-62A9-471A-9EFA-4C8BB5666EC5/0/screen2.jpg

??? Wrong link.

Something from MS Studio porting to PS3, I'll have to see it to believe it. That's like saying MGS4 on 360.

deadsoulasis
07-06-2006, 10:10 AM
no i just felt like putting up ...
But only time will tell on ports....

Till then ...its all rumours