PDA

View Full Version : I pray this comes True for Nintendo

deadsoulasis
07-06-2006, 10:32 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/05/commentary/column_gaming/index.htm

sputnik
07-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Thats not really that surprising. The way Sony is going with the PS3, I could probably release my own gaming platform before them.

I have always liked Nintendo's games. I find they have a much higher replay value than Sony's or Microsoft's lineup.

deadsoulasis
07-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Theres your target right there ...people that wanna have fun playing games ...regardless of graphics...

I know the wii is gunna sell out ...just on the price and controller alone ...I think they made the smartest move this year doing that so...I wish them the best

Still plays San Fran. RUSH series on n64+xbox...I still love that game :burnout:

Xtrema
07-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Just played Mario on DS Lite the other night. Was entertained as much as I was on Battlefield MC. Part of it may be nostalgic but Nintendo do make fun games.

deadsoulasis
07-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Yes I agree some nintendo games dragged me as well

Cuz people wanna stay/feel young ...in whatever way/shape/form they can ...I feel

I admit ..I bought a Gamecube for just one game ..Resident Evil 4
Same reason I bought a PS1 ..for resident Evil 1

and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPTWDuDTC1U .....cuz I played it 4 hours in the arcade years agohttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e1/Re5screenshot.jpg

heavyD
07-06-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm still a bit of a skeptic in regards to the Wii. I think it will outsell PS3 in Japan (who love gadgets and odd games like horseracing) and do well initially in N.A. & Europe but as the shift to HD gains momentum this will have in inverse effect on Wii. First of all its a Gamecube 1.5 with the new controller. The hardware specs are very similar to the original Xbox so you will essentially be paying almost $200 US ($249 US expected retail for Wii though not confirmed yet) for for the controller alone which is pretty steep.

People say Nintendo makes fun games which I don't argue but I can tell you that my GCN collected dust compared to my Xbox & PS2 and outside Japan the GCN sold poorly and was the cause of several lower than expected quarters of earnings for Nintendo. Nintendo is only doing business today because of the handheld business as their trademark games just aren't system sellers anymore on the console market. I fail to see how a slightly revised unit with a new controller will set the world on fire especially when it won't be a system to show off the capabilities of your new HDTV.

The controller is a great idea but according to the press at E3 worked best on simple games like the Wii sports. Many said it felt awkward on Mario Galaxy and was generally called 'spaztic' on Red Steel which most agree is a dud. The controller will make for great fishing games and other games that are of a simple control scheme but how will it work for hockey (no hockey games announced for Wii) a 3rd person action games such a MGS or Splinter Cell for example. People are high on it because it's a fresh idea but at the end of the day people will realize that the gamepad & mouse/keyboard are the most versatile methods for the majority of games. The light gun has been around forever yet is not very popular today & Microsoft made a tilting controller for the PC which nobody cared about so while there will be initial hype I believe once the novelty wears off & blockbusters like Halo 3 & GTA4 are released, Wii will get the same treatment as the GCN and shoved to the side in a little corner of the store. Last gen consoles already look like an eyesore compared to current 360 offerings in HD, so once the 360 & PS3 kick the visuals into high gear the disparity will be even worse as Wii games look just like GCN games visually.

I'll be shelling out $700 or more CDN for a PS3 but $300 for a GCN 1.5? I didn't use my GCN enough to justify spending more on a console that won't have really anything exciting outside of Mario XX, or Zelda XX.

BTW: I do think however it will be a fantastic system for children and will do well in that demographic.

treg50
07-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by deadsoulasis
http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/05/commentary/column_gaming/index.htm

Wii will do well, without a doubt. Nintendo's on the right track!

Nintendo's always had great/consistent game content. I think it's just a Nintendo tradition and characteristic that will continue on with Wii. Flashy, fancy effects, and hi-res textures don't mean much without a good game to carry it.

I, like most people, don't have an HD-TV so having HD ability really isn't a concern. I also don't have the need to experience near realism, it's nice, but not neccessary. I want to have fun in a game, I want to get away from the 'real world' for an hour, I've already got a real life! I've got an Xbox and it's fun, but I've tried many Nintendo-only (N64 & GC) games, and GEEEEEZ those games are fun AND look great. Give me gameplay over graphics ANY DAY.

Nintendo's lineup of games has always appealed to a broader range of people than Xbox and even a bit more than PS. People from 9 to 29 have found games that they can enjoy on Nintendo systems, that should be even stronger with Wii --- and for the best price out of the three.

The Wii controller is awesome, the novelty will wear off, at which point it will be seen as different type of normal everyday controller that no other system has. It's potential to be used in different applications is also very intriguing and I'm betting Nintendo will find many ways to surprise us with what it can be used for. And, for those not crazy about the 'Wii-mote,' the Wii will also feature a more conventional gamepad controller.

Man I hope Wii makes it for September! :clap: :thumbsup:

deadsoulasis
07-06-2006, 02:55 PM
I hope for September too :)

Cause nothing says 'Hey kids ..get to school'...Daddy will be home playing with his wii' *lol*

(yah thats really gunna get kids to WANT to go back to school)http://games.kikizo.com/media/revolution_sep05/01c.jpg

heavyD
07-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by treg50
Nintendo's lineup of games has always appealed to a broader range of people than Xbox and even a bit more than PS. People from 9 to 29 have found games that they can enjoy on Nintendo systems, that should be even stronger with Wii --- and for the best price out of the three.

As I said before they make fun games but if what you say is true, why did the Gamecube get outsold by the Xbox & PS2 by a wide margin even at a MUCH lower price point? Because it's not true. Nintendo's games appeal to the young and the people that play the odd game. Problem is that people aged 20+ want more adult themed games and they represent the BUYING public, not the people that dabble in the odd game. You can't even argue as the sales numbers speak for themselves.

deadsoulasis
07-06-2006, 03:28 PM
But as the prices point as of today ...
Nintendo's is still is the cheapest of the 3 by x-mas...

That alone will make them sell like hotcakes...you'll see....

But wii's graphics side of things ..(ATI's) is still better then Nvidia's Xbox 1 chip...(thankfully)
Resident Evil 4 proved that on gamecube... :burnout:

kaput
07-06-2006, 03:40 PM

deadsoulasis
07-06-2006, 03:48 PM
they will have a standard controller as a option

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct-uDfGiXhs

heavyD
07-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I wish wii had a non motion controller as an option or something for certain games. I'm going to miss the old school mario style.

They do.

h22aseller
07-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I want to give the wii a try, it sounds and looks like a cool idea, but it involves a complexity that I would almost shy away from in a controller. as much as i think it is cool and unique, I also wonder why they think the controller alone will sell games. I can see many a broken beer bottle while trying to play madden, and to be honest, sometimes i just wanna sit my ass down and move nothing more than my fingers.

I love nintendo, and I truely gave the cube a good shake, but as soon as i picked up the ps2 a couple of years ago, the gamecube just kinda collected dust. More and more the big game makers are loosing interest in nintendo because the system does not sell as well as ps2 or xbox. even when they dropped the GCN prices to pretty much rock bottom, their sales never actually took over either of the two systems.

Nintendo seems to try something different from everyone else every time they release a system. for N64 it was the cartridge system and rumble pack. for the gamecube it was the mini format discs. Both of these kinda limited the hardware. I know a lot of people forgot about GCN because it didn't play DVDs, and the games were a bit crippled because data storage became an issue. The Wii's controller is unique, but it could start to show its limitations quickly if the game makers don't feel like spending special attention trying to port games from other systems to the wii due to controller complexity.

heavyD
07-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by h22aseller
The Wii's controller is unique, but it could start to show its limitations quickly if the game makers don't feel like spending special attention trying to port games from other systems to the wii due to controller complexity.

The problem is while you will be able to port games from 360 & PS3 and vice versa it will be impossible to port a 360 or PS3 game to Wii due to the hardware limitations. We are already seeing many new multiplatform games in developement for PS3 & 360 only. The only non-nintendo sports game in developement for Wii is Madden.

deadsoulasis
07-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Game devolper's dont have to use to program, to use...................... the wii's new controller they said at e3 ...they can opt for use of the standard as well ...thankfully cuz that would shy alot of devolpment away

Its really too bad Gamecube and the dev's really try with it ...cause I know even as ported games ...
they would have looked better on cube then Xbox or PS2 acually with the flipper ATI video from cube...

Its sad ..but thats not Nintendo...

Hardware side ...Cube was the best in the first gen
But not alot will agree im sure with me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxh_pMmewxk

deadsoulasis
07-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Following on from 'industry observers' belief that Nintendo may launch the Wii a whole month ahead of PS3, Nintendo's Yasuhiro Minagawa has hit back saying there are no plans to change the release date of the console in the fourth quarter of this year and an announcement will be made in September.

Quote:
''There’s no change in our plan to release the console in the last quarter of this year. We are planning an announcement in September and it may be causing some confusion.'' - Yasuhiro Minagawa, spokesperson for Nintendo Co. Ltd.

While the statement doesn’t completely debunk a rumored launch in September, it makes it a very tight squeeze. The October release date is starting to look more and more likely, hopefully a mid to late launch.

So much for the September dream
Oh well.... thats still before PS3.good.

treg50
07-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

As I said before they make fun games but if what you say is true, why did the Gamecube get outsold by the Xbox & PS2 by a wide margin even at a MUCH lower price point? Because it's not true. Nintendo's games appeal to the young and the people that play the odd game. Problem is that people aged 20+ want more adult themed games and they represent the BUYING public, not the people that dabble in the odd game. You can't even argue as the sales numbers speak for themselves.

Huh? You missed MY point in trying to prove your own.

Quite simply, I was talking about Nintendo's ability to appeal to a wider age range of ppl than 360. The RANGE of people not the total number of people, there's a difference.

I said, in what you quoted from me, that Nintendo's lineup of games appeals to a broader range of people. What is untrue about that? They have such a wide content/theme range in their games that they can appeal to people from age 9 to 29. Xbox/360 focuses on the approx. 20+ group meaning Microsoft's range of age's that they appeal to is less/ is narrower than Nintendo's. That's just a fact.

Originally posted by h22aseller
The Wii's controller is unique, but it could start to show its limitations quickly if the game makers don't feel like spending special attention trying to port games from other systems to the wii due to controller complexity.

It's part of the reason why Nintendo is so admirable. They don't always care about being able to do a cookie-cutter port easily from other systems like PS3 or 360. By having such a controller as an option they are expressing their commitment to developing new and different games and experiences. I find that interesting and exciting. Really, PS3 and 360 are looking pretty predictable = fancy looking but just the same old stuff = boring.

DeeK
07-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by deadsoulasis
Theres your target right there ...people that wanna have fun playing games ...regardless of graphics...

That's what I have been saying all along. I want I game that is so fun that I dont need to be buying a game every other week just to get use outta my system. I still only have 4 games for my gamecube... Keeps me more than interested.

Nintendo has been the only system to deliver long lasting playability.