PDA

View Full Version : Saturn Ion, some notes

Goggle
07-06-2006, 11:50 PM
(This is for the 2006 model, with no options)

Alright, if anyone who is interested in getting one of those searches this up, here are some thoughts about the car.

Alright, I've only been driving it for about a week, but I already HATE this car. The first drive was alright... it's semi smooth and it handles reasonably. it feels okay to drive in.

The second day I drove it I realized that the driver's seat is terrible. It's not particularly comfortable, and I can't seem to find any configuration that allows me proper access to steering as well as the pedals without bending my back too much, one way or the other. I'm 5'10", a very average height

I also noticed its windshield is oddly small. I've never been in a small car with a windshield that felt so small. Don't even bother using the visor because it'll make seeing incredibly hard. In fact, visibility isn't amazing in this car. The posts obscure a LOT. This car's mirrors have some warping problems as well.

The breaks are stupidly touchy.

The body is primarily made of a composite. It's sort of weird. But then again it could probably take a hit from a baseball and come out okay, maybe. I didn't try.

It's not good on gas at ALL. Two hours of driving kills about 20% more gas than Saturn claims.

The steering is soft. It's okay for highway driving but annoying for city.

I got rid of the car anyways. There's more annoying crap, but the bottom line is, you might find this car as annoying as I do. I even liked the ford Fit more, and I didn't like that a hell of a lot to begin with. So if you're going to drop 16000 on a vehicle, look into it a LOT. Don't splurge. The Hyundai Accent is what I'm driving now and so far it seems better. It's not great for the 16000 price tag, but not as bad as the fit or the ion. I'm amazed by how bad the ion is.

I'm starting to think it's not worth it to spend 16000 on an economy vehicle. I'm considering putting more cash away and just getting something older, but far more comfortable, and with way more resale value. Also, something with a reputation. These economy cars come and go so fast and lately they don't get great reviews. So be careful!

The end

edit: I forgot the mention that this is the car with no options. This car comes with no air conditioning, at 16000 dollars. How f*cking bogus is that? Seriously, the rest of the car feels cheap and they can't even pretend it's sweet by throwing in some half assed luxuries? I'm not impressed at all. For the price anyways. This car should retail for 11,500.

eblend
07-07-2006, 12:01 AM
i drive an ion on daily basis right now (my dads) since my car is in the garage getting peices painted, and i don't find it bad at all. Great little car, does the job just fine for getting you from point a to point b, good engin in there, accelarates fast. all the things u mentioned makes me think u were in a wrong car. Nothing wrong with our saturn ion. It is also 100% basic, only option is the auto tranny, rest if all basic as it gets and I like driving it alot actually. We bought ours in september so its a 2005 model, unless they changed something drastically in the 2006 model it seems strange that you didn't like it so much. I love rocking the ion haha, good on gas, fast enough to do what i need to do and drives just fine.

Goggle
07-07-2006, 03:02 AM
Have you compared it to other vehicles? In the price range, I thought it was sort of sub-standard.

Don't get me wrong, it's a hell of a lot nicer than my old 89 probe or the toyota my parents used to drive. But investment considered, and my experience with other vehicles in the price range considered, the ion feels pretty shotty.

Most of my complaint comes from the fact that it's 16000 dollars. I'd never drop that on something that felt a little iffy, you know? You could get an older sedan for that money and probably get a much nicer experience out of it.

Maybe I'm upset because I got totally OWNED by the non-air conditioning the other day in 30 degree weather, haha. That air was HOT

edit: Oh yeah, how is yours good on gas? The one I was using was a pig. I probably used 35 dollars in gas in a week where as with my probe I would have used between 25-30. And I feel like I used the ion less because I wanted to avoid running it, since it's not mine. Maybe this ion has a leak or something? I know it drips a bit of oil.

eblend
08-14-2006, 09:42 PM
hey found this looking for something else haha

I get about 600 km for 40 littres, so not too bad

sallinger
08-14-2006, 10:08 PM
i have a ion and think it is great. good power and handles nicely. very happy with the car.