PDA

View Full Version : Do I want one?

FivE.SeveN
07-07-2006, 01:08 AM
OK all help me decide! ;) I just picked up a twin turbo 300zx for summers, and it pulls like a beast but eats gas like a fat kid VS a stack of candy. I also have an integra.. for 1 more day, it (should be) sold by tmrw evening. Basically, I'm planning to get a beater for winters... and to carry stuff cause the Z has no trunk space. ;) I could probably sell the Z fairly easily for another summer vehicle -- say a starter bike.

It sort of makes sense, I'm using the Z mostly for going to work, cruisin', etc. No winter driving. Here's the thing though, TBH Ive never been on a bike. I know they're insane though, and its much easier to get raped by a 20000lb SUV. But they also look hella fun.

The other thing is that summer's already half over, and I'd want to hit 2cool for lessons first. Depending on when I can even get in (probably august), I'd end up waiting till next spring to start riding anyway.

Anyway.. not sure exactly what I'm asking here. ;) Do y'all think it's worth trading a summer car for a summer bike? Sort of a loaded question in the bike forum, but I'm not sure if I should lose the Z asap and recover my $, or hold onto it and start modding.

SOAB
07-07-2006, 09:09 AM
what you gotta answer is can you afford to have 2 summer toys? they are both gonna sit over the winter.

the best solution would be to have a fun daily driver that can be driven in the winter and a bike for the spring, summer and fall.

Goggle
07-07-2006, 05:00 PM
I find a lot of guys think they're going to love having a bike but they're surprised by how dangerous they are. Consider how you have to operate a bike - it requires safer driving ethics than in a car, and you'll have to put up with other drivers respecting you far less. You need confidence and you need to understand how two wheels function with only 400 pounds of weight on them rather than four wheels with 400 pounds on each wheel. It's a different world! See if you can handle it before you invest. I was personally pretty scared the first time I hit the road on a bike. I do tons of stuff that could be considered 'scary' like face climbing or white water kayaking, but on the road it's different. Your surroundings are way more dangerous and you've got to hope that a city worth of people isn't going to do something stupid and get you killed.

Otherwise, riding is absolutely awesome. It's a big conversation starter too.

FivE.SeveN
07-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Cool, good advice. :) I think I'll hit 2cool for some lessons before making a decision, thx guys

Stoppie
07-07-2006, 07:26 PM
and its much easier to get raped by a 20000lb SUV. But they also look hella fun.

dont think about that stuff. people always think that your more likely to get in a car acciedent on a bike... which is sometiems true, but alot of times you can get out of acciedents u cant with a car. You have the pure agility and torqe to get out of any mess. If you take the course, and your smart and aware, you'll do fine.

Plus you grow real balls on a bike... and its more fun than any car you can buy.... except for maybe the Ariel Atom :D if you have lots of money to throw around just buy an ariel atom :D