PDA

View Full Version : Official Ft. McMurray Job Thread

okayplyer
07-07-2006, 01:33 AM
I'll start this off with some basic questions.

What kind of well-paying are available in Ft. Mac for your average Joe who just graduated from university with a useless bachelors of arts degree?

How and where should I go about applying for these jobs?

What's the pay really like for a 20 yr old with very little work experience?

Is it worth it to spend the few precious years of my youth in a desolate purgatory?

Would really appreciate advice from people who have been there or knowledgeable on the subject. I'm willing to endure living in the middle of nowhere where the male to female ratio is 100 to 1 so long as the price is right.

P.S. There's hookers there, right?

Eleanor
07-07-2006, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by okayplyer
P.S. There's hookers there, right?

There's your high paying job in fort mac right there. you won't get much more then that with an arts degree. ERTW!

okayplyer
07-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Female, engineer. ::shivers::

Eleanor
07-07-2006, 01:47 AM
Female, engineer. ::shivers::

Female? What gives you that idea other than my name? :P

okayplyer
07-07-2006, 02:15 AM
Gay male engineer.

Double ::shivers::

Eleanor
07-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Gay male engineer.

Double ::shivers::

Scared artsy?

RawB8figure
07-07-2006, 01:58 PM
go to sait and get a technology diploma and you will get a very well paying job up there..

redblack
07-07-2006, 03:34 PM
do the petroleum engineer course at sait and work at one of the plants up there, my friend just finished this year and is making 80 thousand a year as a plant operator.

other than that, the mcdonalds is paying 14 bucks an hour

okayplyer
07-07-2006, 04:02 PM
How much does the petroleum engineering course cost? And how long does it take? Am I guranteed an 80 grand job after? Does pay get even higher after you've been there for a year?

I'd really be interested in working my ass off in purgatory for a couple years so I can use all that loot to live it up while having enough capital to start my own business. The chance for anyone to make a small fortune in their 20's is once in a lifetime.

Also, I hear living costs are ridiculous. How much of that 80 grand a year would I actually be able to save up?

rip
07-07-2006, 04:26 PM
You might make $80k a yr but everything there costs more.

Take a look at some of the properties for sale for example on www.mls.ca

here is a $180k trailer.

Trailertrash (http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=&SearchURL=%3fMode%3d0%26Page%3d1%26vs%3d1%26rlt%3d%26cp%3d%26pt%3d0%26mp%3d0-400000-0%26mrt%3d-1-0-0%26Beds%3d0-0%26Baths%3d0-0%26f%3d%26ft%3dall%26o%3dA%26of%3d1%26ps%3d50%26ptgid%3d1%26aid%3d6419%26MapURL%3d%253fAreaID%253d6270&Mode=0&PropertyID=4700075)

Plus you are way up in the middle of buttfuck nowhere.:thumbsdow

the_new_santa1
07-07-2006, 04:33 PM
dude, there is no way that realestate there is more than here...in Calgary that trailer would be worth at least 400k...hehehe.

bigbadboss101
07-07-2006, 05:33 PM
I will be flying there Sunday to work as a contractor.
Found a place to stay in Timberlea. Love to find some folks to play tennis, football, softball, ultimate, martial arts, weight train, football, vball, soccer, boating etc with.

redblack
07-07-2006, 07:54 PM
realestate in the fort mac is just as bad as calgary. the petroleum course at sait is a 2 year diploma. Cost of living here is high
i currently work up here for the summer. I rent a room in a house for 825 a month, so yeah its expensive. As for how much you will save, thats totally up to you.

stealth
07-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by redblack
do the petroleum engineer course at sait and work at one of the plants up there, my friend just finished this year and is making 80 thousand a year as a plant operator.

other than that, the mcdonalds is paying 14 bucks an hour

WRONG!

He isnt a plant operator. You need to be a Power Engineer to be a Plant Operator.

He is 99.99% a Field Operator. Which is looking after the leases in the Field, which sends oil to the plant.

;)

Rat Fink
07-10-2006, 12:25 AM

accord885
07-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
look for jobs where you don't have to live in Fort Mac.

get a job with a service company where you can live outside of calgary, and get flown up north, or drive a company vehicle up north and stay in a camp for 2 weeks at a time.

you get a sweet field income, and you don't pay squat for housing.

What compnay is this with?

kaput
07-10-2006, 12:30 PM

DoubleLP
07-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I lived up there for 15 years and was a Process Operator at both Albian Sands and Syncrude. I have my 4th Class Power Engineering Ticket and a Process Operations certificate. I took the 2 year Process Operations Co-op program through Keyano College in Fort McMurray.

I was getting paid around $70,000/ year to start. But within 5 years as an operator, I could make upwards of $130,000/ yr with minimal overtime.

You do get paid more, but the cost of living up there is unreal. It is much more expensive in Fort Mac to rent an apartment. For example, here in Calgary I rent a 2 bedroom apartment, just under 1000 sq. ft. in size in the downtown core, for $820/mth plus electricity which for me is around $40/mth. In Fort McMurray, a 2 bedroom apartment of the same size would run over $2000 a month. Plus all your utilities.

You would have to be living with 4 people just to make rent reasonable.

Another example. My parents house. When they bought it back in 1991 in Fort Mac it was worth $87,000. The only thing that my Dad has done for improvements since was cement the driveway (cost around $3000 to do), and of course keep up maintenance on the house (shingle the roof, paint the fence, etc...). The house is now worth $395,000.

And yet another example. A year before I moved I bought a condo for $170,000. I lived in it for less the 9 months, sold it for $215,000. And I did nothing to it. So I made $45,000 in less then 9 months. A year and a half later, that same condo is now worth $340,000!!

The prices are increasing at a staggering rate in Fort Mac, and now they are starting to do that here in Calgary too. I just hope the prices do not increase as much as they did in Fort Mac or there will be a lot more people on the streets here.

Fort Mac has really gone downhill ever since the prices starting going through the roof (pardon the pun). There is a lot more homeless people there and a lot more crime has come into the city. Drugs are really a big problem now, and that is not going to stop for awhile.

If you want to work and do nothing else, then Fort Mac is a great place to live. But if you want a life outside of work, there is not much to do up there. That is why I left a great paying job and moved to Calgary.

no_joke
07-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by DoubleLP
That is why I left a great paying job and moved to Calgary.

To okayplyer: You'll hear this story a lot... The money is great but that place will take your soul if you stay too long. I heard that on average, people stay ~2 years before they get the hell out of there.

Eleanor
07-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by no_joke

To okayplyer: You'll hear this story a lot... The money is great but that place will take your soul if you stay too long. I heard that on average, people stay ~2 years before they get the hell out of there.

dont think he'll be seeing that, he's been banned.

bigbadboss101
07-12-2006, 09:07 PM
It's my 3rd day in FM. Working for Suncor as a contractor. So far I don't mind it. In Calgary I have lot of friends, play softball, football, ultimate, tennis, golf, vball, hockey, and hang with friends doing various things.

People told me people do drugs and drink lots. Could be true although I haven't seen too much yet. They said customer service isn't good which can be quite true, but it's not obvious at this point. It's not bad in terms of men/women ratio and the women are not butchy as I was told. In fact some seem quite pleasant. Living is more expensive for sure. I got a sweet deal, paying $650 inclusive living at a guy's 3br condo (I knew him when he was in Calgary).

The entertain is lacking, but I guess we just have to find things to do. Not much choices in terms of ethnic food. No bubble tea, Indian food, dim sum, etc, at least they are hard to find.

I am here for 6 months, give or take a couple. I figure I can temporarily put aside all the fun stuff in Calgary (I have vacation to Radium and Washington in July that I had to back out of), and not be able to see friends for a few months. I see it as a good learning experience. Life is what we make of it. Even if things don't seem great, we can see it as half full. This position should be good for my resume, and I am making lot more than what I was making in Calgary so I can pay off some debts.

Will keep you updated :-)

no_joke
07-15-2006, 12:37 AM
^^^^^^
What do you do at Suncor?

redx2nv
07-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Im a HD mechanic up here,

sell your soul, triple your income:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And, if you are all wondering, me and a buddy pay $1400 for a apt monthly, two parking stalls..

Break it dowm, we get $400 monthly living expense, so it only costs me $300/month to live here..

Otherwise, yea, it sucks on the days off. I just pick up extra shifts so i dont have to be bored out of my mind on days off hahah.

RuthelessNazi
07-18-2006, 05:19 PM
OK Whats going on

I'm a highschool dropout with zero post secondary(obviously) and i can make upwards 70 g's just by working saturdays.

i work in calgary and iv'e only been at my job for 5 months.

I'm always thinking about upgrading and going to school but this stuff scares me aways.

Mightaswell
07-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by RuthelessNazi
OK Whats going on

I'm a highschool dropout with zero post secondary(obviously) and i can make upwards 70 g's just by working saturdays.

i work in calgary and iv'e only been at my job for 5 months.

I'm always thinking about upgrading and going to school but this stuff scares me aways.

what the hell do you do?

FlamingC19
07-20-2006, 04:14 PM
what the hell do you do?

Clearly a drug dealer:poosie:

Redlyne_mr2
07-20-2006, 05:31 PM
I dont know how you guys live up there. that place is the biggest shithole ever

bigbadboss101
07-20-2006, 05:42 PM
I am working as an inventory analyst, doing SAP related stuff.

So far it's been good. Play vball and bball at ymca, go out for diin with friends. Tonight there is softball. Tomorrow probably go for a workout then a movie at home.

Roomie has a quad. Might work on cars a bit. Looking for a place to do grappling MMA.

Will start hanging out with some gals. I also play football, tennis, ultimate frisbee, soccer, hockey etc.

DoubleLP
07-20-2006, 05:42 PM
It is almost looking like a personal ad now for this guy. :rofl:

Lexxan
07-21-2006, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by DoubleLP
I lived up there for 15 years and was a Process Operator at both Albian Sands and Syncrude. I have my 4th Class Power Engineering Ticket and a Process Operations certificate. I took the 2 year Process Operations Co-op program through Keyano College in Fort McMurray.

I was getting paid around $70,000/ year to start. But within 5 years as an operator, I could make upwards of $130,000/ yr with minimal overtime.

You do get paid more, but the cost of living up there is unreal. It is much more expensive in Fort Mac to rent an apartment. For example, here in Calgary I rent a 2 bedroom apartment, just under 1000 sq. ft. in size in the downtown core, for $820/mth plus electricity which for me is around $40/mth. In Fort McMurray, a 2 bedroom apartment of the same size would run over $2000 a month. Plus all your utilities.

You would have to be living with 4 people just to make rent reasonable.

Another example. My parents house. When they bought it back in 1991 in Fort Mac it was worth $87,000. The only thing that my Dad has done for improvements since was cement the driveway (cost around $3000 to do), and of course keep up maintenance on the house (shingle the roof, paint the fence, etc...). The house is now worth $395,000.

And yet another example. A year before I moved I bought a condo for $170,000. I lived in it for less the 9 months, sold it for $215,000. And I did nothing to it. So I made $45,000 in less then 9 months. A year and a half later, that same condo is now worth $340,000!!

The prices are increasing at a staggering rate in Fort Mac, and now they are starting to do that here in Calgary too. I just hope the prices do not increase as much as they did in Fort Mac or there will be a lot more people on the streets here.

Fort Mac has really gone downhill ever since the prices starting going through the roof (pardon the pun). There is a lot more homeless people there and a lot more crime has come into the city. Drugs are really a big problem now, and that is not going to stop for awhile.

If you want to work and do nothing else, then Fort Mac is a great place to live. But if you want a life outside of work, there is not much to do up there. That is why I left a great paying job and moved to Calgary.

Yeah I rent too after buying condos and making 200K LOL