PDA

View Full Version : Hydrolocked? I think not!

88CRX
07-07-2006, 09:47 AM
So a buddy of mine drove through a puddle last night in the shit show storm. He has a 00' SIR coupe. Anyways... he hits the puddle splash, blah blah blah. Car studders abit... keeps driving and it gets fine... maybe a mile down the road check engine light and the car is studdering bad and wanting to stall.

So he pulled into a parking lot and it stalls, now it wont start. So he called me, went down. SRI filter has been splashed on the underside, not too bad, we pull the filter off and the inside of the filter pipe is bone dry? Hmmm, WTF. So we leave, let it sit for an hour maybe. Come back and its starts, no more check engine. Studders a bit, and finally idles fine. The exhaust is steaming like its burning off water, hmmm.. so the exhaust is poping or gargling lol... and then bam, its fine. Idles fine, revs fine drives fine.

So the question is... what through the check engine code (it hasnt been read yet) and what might have happened? Theres no where else the water can get in the engine right? And even if some or alot of water got in the exhaust why would it stall out and not start so bad?

3G
07-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Check his distributor cap and spark plugs exactly wat happened to me, my car ran on 2 cylidners in the meantime

RickDaTuner
07-07-2006, 10:27 AM
the only two things that i can think of that would be affected by an engine ingesting a fair amount of water would be
1. the MAF/MAP sensor which ever comes first or, possibly both, and the
2. O2 sensor...

all automotive engine ingest a fair amount of water through their lives

MrSector9
07-07-2006, 10:30 AM
yeah was only a sensor OR plug wires/distribuotr like already stated :)

if it was "locked" well it would seize up almost the second that the water entered the combustion chamber. If it did not seize up then the force ahd to go somewhere, bent rod,blown head gasket, craked block.

03ozwhip
07-07-2006, 10:30 AM
this exact same thing just happened to me in the car wash of all places.(i have a vented EVO hood) and its just the distibutor and because it stalls it throws the CEL.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
07-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
the only two things that i can think of that would be affected by an engine ingesting a fair amount of water would be
1. the MAF/MAP sensor which ever comes first or, possibly both, and the
2. O2 sensor...

all automotive engine ingest a fair amount of water through their lives
+1

I dont think it could be a distributor problem becuse if i remember correctly new hondas have direct ignition

CivicDXR
07-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO

+1

I dont think it could be a distributor problem becuse if i remember correctly new hondas have direct ignition

not the 00 SiR... its still using a distributor... it is most likely water in the dizzy or on the top of the spark plugs... pull off the dizzy cap and dry off, and take out the plug wires and use compressed air to blow out anything in there...

rage2
07-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Theres no where else the water can get in the engine right?
Lucky he didn't hydrolock. Water can enter thru the exhaust side too and hydrolock a motor.

the_new_santa1
07-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Lucky he didn't hydrolock. Water can enter thru the exhaust side too and hydrolock a motor.

This is very true never happened to me in a car..but it happened on my grizzily..Atv...up through the exhaust...and bam..seized as shit...

rc2002
07-07-2006, 10:40 PM
I'll bet any money it's a cylinder misfire that caused the code. I bet he misfired on all 4 cylinders. Clean out the distributor, clean out the holes for the spark plug wires. He should be good to go then.

CryoCarnage
07-07-2006, 11:48 PM
u can fix hydro locked motors IIRC.
-Thomas

BerserkerCatSplat
07-08-2006, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
-Thomas

True, assuming it's a soft lock and you haven't done any component-bending while trying to compress the water. Pull out spark plugs and turn engine over a few times, water should squirt right out.

403Gemini
07-08-2006, 02:54 AM
id still be wary. im dealing with a claim at work right now from a girl who was stuck in a flooded intersection and her car almost hydrolocked, same situation.

took it to the dealership they "fixed" it up. about 2 weeks later engine died.

freakin
07-09-2006, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
-Thomas

Take a look at my avatar. That's from a hydrolock. The block is pretty must unusable as well. It was fixed by replacing the motor.

GTS Jeff
07-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Use compressed air and WD40 to get rid of water on the spark plug galley, dizzy, and the plug wire contacts.

88CRX
07-09-2006, 10:45 PM
if the intake pipe was bone dry then how would any water get into the engine?

jdm_jspec
07-09-2006, 10:48 PM
:dunno:

CryoCarnage
07-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
if the intake pipe was bone dry then how would any water get into the engine?
its already been sucked in. i though that was self explanatory?

MrSector9
07-09-2006, 11:05 PM
the intake woudl sitll be wet, it would not pull every single drop/water residue into the engine.

Also in the "resonator" thing box thing woudl be full of water if it was still installed on the vehicle.

rc2002
07-10-2006, 01:11 AM
So did he end up checking his codes or not?