PDA

View Full Version : An end to Registered Owner deals

BlueGoblin
07-07-2006, 05:51 PM
www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2006/07/07/traffic-ticket.html

kolumbo69
07-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Wow our legal system gets bought again by another part of the private sector. I thought the law was supposed to be unbiased but it seems the insurance company is making all the rules.

Dont get me wrong some people do deserve to be penailized especially repeat offenders, but i dont believe those that get the odd ticket should be penalized so harshly (ie: deals with the prosecuter makes).

It doesnt matter anyways being a under 25, driving a sports car never having one ticket, i have already bent over lots and taking it up the ass, while soccer moms in thier vans fly by me at 140 paying $50 insurance premiums.

Just my .02

( dont mind the spelling or grammer was typing quickly):thumbsup:

Sky
07-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Time to slow down to UNDER speed limit. It's going to be such a hassle fighting a speeding ticket when I'm not even speeding<-(I drive a red sports car) cops would pull me over because my car handles awesome in the corners and "looks like I'm speeding":banghead:

jcrules99
07-07-2006, 10:32 PM
wowww thats fucking retarded

01RedDX
07-07-2006, 10:43 PM

rc2002
07-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Haha, that's just going to clog up the court system. Everyone is going to plead not guilty. The worst that can happen is that you'll actually have to pay your ticket.

AllGoNoShow
07-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Yup just got hit with one of those, went in to fight the ticket, ended up goign from 3 -> 2 demerits, said he couldnt reduce them anymore, but cut the fine, threw out another ticket and dropped another ticket of mine more then half. Walked back out to my car to find, low and behold, ANOTHER TICKET :D

Great times, shitty change

Maxt
07-08-2006, 09:52 AM
First off, it question usefullness of photo radar and red light camera tickets.... If demerit points are so helpful what do those tickets accomplish....nothing...
I think this is going to flood the courts with full challenges and bring the traffic court to a stand still, and everyone has the right to a fair and speedy trial... If they cant fulfill the court dates in a reasonable amount of time, the tickets will get tossed... Fight them all...

Tyler883
07-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
First off, it question usefullness of photo radar and red light camera tickets.... If demerit points are so helpful what do those tickets accomplish....nothing...
I think this is going to flood the courts with full challenges and bring the traffic court to a stand still, and everyone has the right to a fair and speedy trial... If they cant fulfill the court dates in a reasonable amount of time, the tickets will get tossed... Fight them all...

Last year, I suggested a change in Alberta that wouldn't slow things down to a grind, it would merely slow things down to the same as other provinces. Yet, I couldn't get anyone - not even one person on beyond - to agree with me.

Here's the way BC handles tickets(it conforms to the same standard definition of 'service' that almost all courts in Canada follows) :

http://www.sense.bc.ca/tickets.htm#how_tickets_served

And here's several hundred posts where everyone thought I was insane for even suggesting the same thing for Alberta. I made passionate statements about the Canadian Charter of Rights and how it should apply even to speeders.....it didn't matter, everyone on beyond still thought I was wrong.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70264

Maxt
07-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Well I know it applies to Drinking and driving offences..I know of one guy that has beat 3 impaired charges through delayed court proceedings, something about 90 days for appearance and no trial date for a year..Next time I see him I will ask him the gory details of it.. But DUI is also a criminal act as well so ?...

b_t
07-08-2006, 05:30 PM
oh what the fuck! time to stop speeding I guess

that is fucking lame!

barbarian
07-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Phuqu
Just plead not guilty to any ticket.

If everyone did that they might rethink that position.

They will just raise the fines to make up for the extra court costs.

canner
07-09-2006, 03:34 AM
thats ghey

Maxt
07-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by b_t

that is fucking lame!
How about writing your elected officials about insanely low speed limits designed to create "speeding"?...In my neck of the woods I know the MLA has been taking alot of heat over some of the revised speed limits.. They will continue to do this until enough people complain...

scat19
07-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Sky
Time to slow down to UNDER speed limit. It's going to be such a hassle fighting a speeding ticket when I'm not even speeding&lt;-(I drive a red sports car) cops would pull me over because my car handles awesome in the corners and &quot;looks like I'm speeding&quot;:banghead:

You think a miata is a sports car? lol

That sucks, demerits are more important to bargain for than money.

blitz
07-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by b_t

that is fucking lame!

This just in........the new system works.

brownchild
07-19-2006, 09:48 PM
plead not guilty to all tickets, its worth the time and effort.

Slashin_
07-19-2006, 10:01 PM
......so we pay our tickets and then have to pay higher insurance? how much does the fkin gov wanna scam off us?
i don't see the roads gettin better but i sure see politican getting fatter....
POWER TO THE PEOPLE FIGHT IT YO

Xtrema
07-19-2006, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Slashin_
......so we pay our tickets and then have to pay higher insurance? how much does the fkin gov wanna scam off us?

You can still fight for lower fines and points but not NO points.

Inzane
07-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by scat19

Are you retarded?? :dunno:

The Miata meets most of the core definitions of a true sports car more than most other cars out there.

Weapon_R
07-20-2006, 03:10 PM

Err, the miata is an incredible sports car...probably the best ever affordable sports car ever made.

95EagleAWD
07-20-2006, 03:27 PM

Don't be stupid, newbie.

Miata's are amazing.

TrevorK
07-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Slashin_

If you didn't break the law you wouldn't have this problem.

That's the simple solution, which is what the vast majority of the population follows.

RiceCake
07-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Sigh... haven't gotten a ticket for a while nor do a plan to, but I can see this posing to be a big pain in the rear...

I still remember getting pulled over for stopping at a stop sign in the winter :( (cop said I was slightly more than a meter behind the stop sign when I did stop) I didn't want to take my chances with icy conditions... :rolleyes:

vietdood
07-24-2006, 10:44 AM
alright i just got back from pleading not guilty to my yellow light violation. they booked the trial date in october so that's pretty much 3 months from now. is this the average wait time? or the result of the new change?

BlueGoblin
07-24-2006, 10:52 AM
^

3 months is a pretty quick trial time, I think. When I was in traffic court some years ago, most trials were set on a 4 month lead, and 6 months was not uncommon at times. There are more traffic courtrooms now, and I don't know what lead times have been of late though.

rc2002
07-24-2006, 11:38 AM
You can always move your court date too. I would think there would be longer lead times because more people will be contesting tickets seeing as getting people out of the courtrooms was the whole point of the RO deals in the first place.

skandalouz_08
07-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Yeah I'm not looking forward to this, have to go in next monday to see what I can do about reducing demerits/fine

SilverBoost
07-25-2006, 06:49 PM
This province has their fucking head up their fucking ass when it comes to controlling traffic. Alberta has the worse drivers per capita that I have ever witnessed in Canada, And I've lived from one coast to the other. They already scam the shit out of everyone with these photoradar and red light camera cash grab bullshit - which everyone knows, does nothing to make traffic conditions safer. And here they go again, making some stupid law that will do nothing more than clog the court systems. Brilliant!

glennc
07-25-2006, 07:06 PM
Thats lame, but I dont much care. I get all my tickets in BC for some reason, and the demerits dont come off of my licence here for some reason.

Ive never fought a ticket. Im guilty. I pay, -3 demerits. 2 months left til I get off GDL and I still have 5 demerits to go. Lucky my 2 BC tickets didnt count or id be suspended.

Really though, the fines are already huge, this government is being a cow.

DayGlow
07-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by BlueGoblin
^

3 months is a pretty quick trial time, I think. When I was in traffic court some years ago, most trials were set on a 4 month lead, and 6 months was not uncommon at times. There are more traffic courtrooms now, and I don't know what lead times have been of late though.

I get my dunners anywhere from 3 months to 6 months for trial.