PDA

View Full Version : One Car Garage vs. Two Car Garage

fordo_11
07-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Hey guys

I currently live in a house with a single car attached garage and I was wondering if anyone one knows how much value would be added to the house if I got it turned into a two car garage? I live in Woodlands on a block that has only about three houses with two car garages so I was thinking that it would make the house more appealing. I just don't want to sink the money into it if I am not going to see a return on doing it when I sell it, which will be in a year or so. So any help would be appreciated. Thnx.

Tik-Tok
07-08-2006, 05:07 PM
This is calgary, you could dig a 2 foot pit in the ground, call it a swimming pool, increase the price by $10,000, and people will still pay it.

I honestly don't know how much the value would increase, but it would make it a lot more attractive to buyers. Think of all the junk they could store in a DOUBLE garage! (as they still park on the street)

djayz
07-08-2006, 05:15 PM
i think it would increase the value much more

alot of houses that they are building now adays are only coming with a single garage or no garage so selling a house with a double is always more appealing to the buyer.

Its going to cost a bit more to turn a single into a double than it would to put just a double garage up tho since you have to take down the single.

Weapon_R
07-08-2006, 05:36 PM
A double garage can command much more than a single garage. It's difficult to guage how much more, but i've seen comparable homes priced anywhere from 15-25k differently because of the differences in garage sizes.

If you are even remotely handy, you could add a double garage for 7k. You will get at least double, if not triple your investment when it comes time to sell.

FiveFreshFish
07-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Do it, and build it a big as possible. Get an 18x7 or 18x8 door instead of a standard 16x7 door.

Not only is it good for resale, it's also something you will use yourself.

69cougar
07-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Do it, and build it a big as possible. Get an 18x7 or 18x8 door instead of a standard 16x7 door.

Not only is it good for resale, it's also something you will use yourself.

Best advice ever regarding garages!:werd:

fordo_11
07-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Alright thnx guys, I thought that it would be worth especially considering what else there is on the block but you want to be sure about these things considering it will set you back a few grand and if you don't recover it that can kill you in the end, but I think I will try to get it done if this continues to be the consensus.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Expanding to a double is an excellent investment, and an immediate benefit as well.

fordo_11
07-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Oh yeah and do you guys think that it would be better to knock down the existing structure and start from scratch or is it better to just add on to what already exists? Also has anyone had this done before and if so can they recommend anyone who could do this if I didn't decide to do it on my own?

TurboMedic
07-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Well, a total garage package from Totem is about $7000 for a 20x24 size garage single door.....no siding is included.....and then factor in the concrete/foundation.....I think unless you have an off-center single garage (so doubling wouldn't look funny), you're looking at doing it all over again?

Tyler883
07-09-2006, 02:31 AM
IMO, its easy to make a pretty profit by adding a double garage, but one thing is for certain - you can demand every cent that it costs you. You cant say that for every type of home improvement .

sputnik
07-09-2006, 09:41 AM
My uncle who has been a realtor in Calgary since the early 80s says that a double garage will increase the value of your home by about $14.5k and a single will be around $8k.

Basically, if you are planning on building one with the sole purpose to increase the sale value, you are wasting your time.

Tyler883
07-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
My uncle who has been a realtor in Calgary since the early 80s says that a double garage will increase the value of your home by about $14.5k and a single will be around $8k.

Basically, if you are planning on building one with the sole purpose to increase the sale value, you are wasting your time.

that sound reasonable, 14.5K is roughly what the "Garage Guys" quoted me for a basic 2 car garage - detached.

Funny but my builder in MAckenzie Town would build the same for 18K. I wish that your uncle would have closed the deal with me, instead ;)

gram
07-10-2006, 07:41 AM
garages are more expensive to build in McKenzie towne because of the forced 5 foot set back (more concrete on the skirt)

Garage packages at Totem/Home depot are WAY cheaper than 7 grand (not sure where the guy above got his pricing) I had a quote from them less than a month ago for 4 grann for a 24x24 garage package (you have to buy siding+ eastraugh on top of this)

rony_espana
07-10-2006, 07:49 AM
when I was looking for a house, I saw a few houses with single attached garages and this was the only reason I did not buy them. Although the houses were nice, I didn't like the look of the single garage. Not sure if this helps but if there are a lot of buyers like me than I think that would be a great investment.

EnRich
07-10-2006, 08:44 AM
The value would increase even more so with an Infrared garage heater from Calcana. :thumbsup: :bigpimp:

fordo_11
07-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by EnRich
The value would increase even more so with an Infrared garage heater from Calcana. :thumbsup: :bigpimp:

I thought about a heater too, but I am not sure if I care to go that far, I guess it really depends on cost.

EnRich
07-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by fordo_11

I thought about a heater too, but I am not sure if I care to go that far, I guess it really depends on cost.

I can get you one right now for around 1250 all in (venting included) I'd be happy to show you the factory sometime if you like....

www.calcana.com

If your gonna heat a garage, stay as far away from forced air as possible.
- pig on gas
- hot air rises (all the hot air you want and need is at the roof top level of your garage)
- Regardless of insulation (a garage has ALOT of heat loss)
- Their loud, and vibrate

I've had a few beyonders buy heaters from me, seems to be liked.

topmade
07-10-2006, 09:25 AM
A double garage would definately increase the value in your home, but I would first make sure you have enough room on your lot to accomodate a wider garage. Your probably going to need a city approval and a permit to do that, but I'm just guessing.

fordo_11
07-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by EnRich

I can get you one right now for around 1250 all in (venting included) I'd be happy to show you the factory sometime if you like....

www.calcana.com

If your gonna heat a garage, stay as far away from forced air as possible.
- pig on gas
- hot air rises (all the hot air you want and need is at the roof top level of your garage)
- Regardless of insulation (a garage has ALOT of heat loss)
- Their loud, and vibrate

I've had a few beyonders buy heaters from me, seems to be liked.

I will get back to you if I decide to do it (probably wouldn't be until early next year [2007])

Originally posted by topmade
A double garage would definately increase the value in your home, but I would first make sure you have enough room on your lot to accomodate a wider garage. Your probably going to need a city approval and a permit to do that, but I'm just guessing.

Yeah I measured out the lot and I have enough room to have a good sized walk way down the side of the property, but no grass (which is currently a pain in the ass to maintain anyways so no loss). I also imagine you would need the permits too which can be a pain in the ass.

benyl
07-10-2006, 10:12 AM
For an attached garage, you will likely need a proper foundation. Factor that into your cost.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Build a shed if you need more storage space. Build a car port if you need somewhere to put another car.

If you plan on selling the house, make it someone else's problem.

It will cost you $10K+ to do it. think about it. A garage package will cost you $5-7K from totem. That doesn't include labour. The concrete will likely run you $2K for a pad, and way more if you build a foundation. If you have to do a foundation, it will cost you money to dig and also tear down the existing structure. You have to repave the driveway.

It is going to take a couple of weeks to get a permit from the city. etc.

I see a $15K project that will add very little in terms of equity in your home (compared to the rest of the house).

Develop you basement if it isn't already or redo an old kitchen.

Xtrema
07-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by benyl
For an attached garage, you will likely need a proper foundation. Factor that into your cost.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Build a shed if you need more storage space. Build a car port if you need somewhere to put another car.

If you plan on selling the house, make it someone else's problem.

It will cost you $10K+ to do it. think about it. A garage package will cost you $5-7K from totem. That doesn't include labour. The concrete will likely run you $2K for a pad, and way more if you build a foundation. If you have to do a foundation, it will cost you money to dig and also tear down the existing structure. You have to repave the driveway.

It is going to take a couple of weeks to get a permit from the city. etc.

I see a $15K project that will add very little in terms of equity in your home (compared to the rest of the house).

Develop you basement if it isn't already or redo an old kitchen.

Best advice of the bunch. Housing market is showing sign of slow down. Either it's just summer, nobody knows. But unless you can find a few buddies to work on it, paying someone else is almost cost prohibitive.

Alex_FORD
07-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by gram
garages are more expensive to build in McKenzie towne because of the forced 5 foot set back (more concrete on the skirt)

Garage packages at Totem/Home depot are WAY cheaper than 7 grand (not sure where the guy above got his pricing) I had a quote from them less than a month ago for 4 grann for a 24x24 garage package (you have to buy siding+ eastraugh on top of this)

$4000 sounds great, does that include the concrete pad?

rc2002
07-10-2006, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't do it as an investment. However I would do it for convenience. We built a natural gas heated double detached garage last year and it ran just under $40k all said and done including foundation, electricity, lighting, drywalling, windows, and a bunch of other requests that we had.

I believe it was worth it for the convenience, although we probably will not recoup that money when we go to sell our house since we also have a double attached garage.

benyl
07-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Alex_FORD

$4000 sounds great, does that include the concrete pad?

There is no way it includes the concrete pad.

Weapon_R
07-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by benyl

There is no way it includes the concrete pad.

It's about $4000 for the basics and $1500 for a pad. A nice garage should run about 8-10k altogether.

Alex_FORD
07-11-2006, 08:12 AM
If you buy from Totem, buy the 7/16 instead of 3/8 for the roof and walls.

They told me that I didn't need it(I agree), but it only added about 10cents per sheet to my bill - maybe $20 total cost.

gram
07-11-2006, 11:52 AM
I got quotes for a concret pad for way over 2 grand. More like 4 grand if you want to add a foundation it is even more than that. If you are going to build you may as well build it correctly with a foundation wall system (keeps the wood off the wet ground)

I figured if I built it my self 24x24 I'd be looking at about 10 grand all in. To get someone to build it would ahve been in the 17ish mark.

A garage makes your house more desirable and should raise the value quite a bit, but then again in the current market if your house is say 15 grand more than a house that is exactly the same w/out a garage some people would buy the other one as they could possibly be priced out of the market or near their maximum amount. It's really hit or miss.

Extending/rebuilding the single garage would actually be more expensive than to just rebuild everything probably (it will have to meet current code as well which could be difficult if it's old construction)