PDA

View Full Version : My close call today

rc2002
07-09-2006, 01:56 AM
Thanking my lucky stars right now. :) I was riding in a convertible earlier this afternoon that had a fibreglass hood held down with hood pins. The hood was a heavier weight fibreglass one, probably weighed about 25 lbs or so.

Anyway, I'm riding passenger seat - we've done a few third and fourth gear pulls. Then as we're heading back, driving in second gear, I see the hood suddenly flip up. Then everything after that is a blur. I think I may have even blacked out for a quick moment. Once I come to, I have windshield glass in my mouth, shards of glass flying into my eyes, and then I'm seeing stars when the hood clobbers me in the head as it flies over our car onto the road behind us.

So the car comes to a stop. I sit there dazed and confused blinking glass out of my eyes. There's glass everywhere. The windshield has collapsed but it's NOT safety glass. WTF? There's slivers and jagged shards of glass everywhere. It's all over my face and arms and legs. Some of it made it into my sandals so that when I stumble out of the car and walk around, blood is oozing out onto the ground.

Now I'm still shaken up (probably in shock still). I end up driving to the Foothills ER with my head still spinning, hoping that I won't pass out on the way there. I stopped by my gf's on the way - had plans for the afternoon that just went out the window. She ends up waiting with me in the ER for about 4 hours. When I get there, the adrenaline stops flowing and I'm finally starting to feel pain.

Lucky for me it wasn't too busy at the hosptial, yet it still took 4 hours for staff and equipment to become available. In the end, all that was done was a couple of X-Rays of my eyes (apparently windshield glass contains lead which can be seen on X-Rays), and a dye test to test for scratching of my cornea. Tests were good (somehow) and I was released. I didn't end up getting an X-Ray for my head, and didn't want to ask for one at the risk of waiting another 4 hours. My eyes are sore as hell right now and my head is still throbbing. I just pray that I don't have a bad concussion and that I actually wake up tomorrow morning.

So, if you guys are still reading, what ended up failing was the hood pin. It wasn't used properly. Anyway, the moral is: Think long and hard before installing any sort of aftermarket hood. Always use both the hood pins and latch together and make sure they're secure before you start driving. Even with both of those I will still think twice about riding in a car with an aftermarket hood.

I don't think I'll ever buy a convertible. Ever.

Slashin_
07-09-2006, 01:59 AM
i smashed my camry and was rebuildin the front hood came up on me 3 times....i am still using the same winsield...3 times!!!!....stock windshield owns....sorry bought ut incident thou..get better soon

GQBalla
07-09-2006, 02:00 AM
sound advice!

good to hear your okay though!

get some rest - this would be so scary

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-09-2006, 02:03 AM
thats insane, good to hear your okay... i hope you feel much better in the morning...

h_s
07-09-2006, 02:04 AM
ouch, ive had 2 incidents like that in one day, a buddy is driving down 32nd, forgets to close the hood properly and windshield fly's up, gets it fixed @ windshield place and the body shop guys next door come over to quote the hoods damage, they dont (or cant) close it properly, were hapily going along deerfoot when it flies open again, scariest shit of my life

kdwebber
07-09-2006, 02:06 AM
no safety glass? what kind of car was it?

WWJAI
07-09-2006, 02:08 AM
Sorry about your incident. How was the driver?..hope he ended up ok.

wagovan
07-09-2006, 02:29 AM
DAMN Rich!
glad to hear your ok.
Close call indeed, and I hope you recover quickly.

djayz
07-09-2006, 02:30 AM
arent convertibles supposed to have safety glass standard...like its mandatory?

Rest the eyes and keep flushing them out with cold water i cant even imagine having glass in my eyes...it makes me cringe when i get an eyelash or something in there.

Hope you get well soon

speedracer
07-09-2006, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Thanking my lucky stars right now. :)
Good to hear!

Originally posted by djayz
arent convertibles supposed to have safety glass standard...like its mandatory?

Not for you windshield.

_wrx_
07-09-2006, 02:48 AM
good luck on the eye recovery. thanks for the heads up richard!;)

Anton
07-09-2006, 03:11 AM
Sucks to hear. Hope you get better soon.

Redlyne_mr2
07-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Thats insane...glad to hear youre ok Rich, I had the hood come up once while ripping around in a 79 911, scariest thing ever.

sputnik
07-09-2006, 09:48 AM
What kind of car was it?

I had the cornea test when I feel victim to an air bag. If there is any surface scratching on your corneas it will take about a week to heal.

Zero102
07-09-2006, 09:50 AM
I think there is a big misunderstanding of what safety glass is.
Safety glass is tempered and/or laminated glass, it is a bit of a generic term.
Windshields are 2 pieces of heat strengthened glass, that have a piece of vinyl laminated in between them. When broken they will make shards and pieces of between 1/16" and 2", no big pieces like when you break a sheet of normal glass, but not nearly as small as tempered glass.
Tempered glass will become pieces that are ~1/64" - 1/4" in size. Of course all glass shards are sharp, and there is nothing that can be done about that. So, if the windshield is made of glass and breaks, odds are you will end up scratched up and bleeding no matter what type of glass it is made from, however you will still be in much better shape than if it was not safety glass.

That said, glad to hear you didn't get seriously injured, and let this be a lesson for everybody.

MudCrawler
07-09-2006, 10:29 AM
I was drivin with a few friends in my Jeep, and the hood came up (huge, heavy steel hood), and smashed my windshield, bust the windshield frame, and bent the hood over the remaining lump of windshield frame into the seating area while on deerfoot at about 1 in the morning. It was terrifying, and it took literally half a second to happen.

But shit, i obviously didnt get it as bad as you. Good thing you turned out alright, but those glass shards must have been a bit uncomfortable:(

1-Bar
07-09-2006, 11:05 AM
wow....scary read. Glad to hear your okay man :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
07-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Wow, that's fucked. Glad to hear you're ok Richard...

Did the hood have a latch as well as hood pins? And what car was this?

JordanEG6
07-09-2006, 11:16 AM
thats scary man, its good to hear that your okay tho...get well :thumbsup:

stevieo
07-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Glad to hear you're doing okay Richard.

get well dude!

BigBearWest
07-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Glad to hear you are ok man

mdeleon
07-09-2006, 04:21 PM
damn, i dont like the look of hoodpins, takes away from th clean look of the car, i guess it's that much of a necessity if i buy a carbon hood some day. good luck man, get better

jdm_jspec
07-09-2006, 04:26 PM
ouch
good to hear your okay

Impreza
07-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Hope you're doing ok and make a quick recovery!

What car was it?

dj_honda
07-09-2006, 08:26 PM
get well soon richard

WWJAI
07-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Does anyone not care about how the driver is doing?

jcrules99
07-09-2006, 08:57 PM
crazy man...

good luck with the recovery

v2kai
07-09-2006, 09:15 PM
shit close call. glad to hear you're doing alright richard.
hope you have a speedy recovery man

78si
07-10-2006, 12:27 AM
WOW!! Take care man!

Fcuk
07-10-2006, 12:42 AM
crazy, hope your alright! good thing the :angel: was watching over you

zain123
07-10-2006, 12:49 AM
whoa..
close call indeed
hope you are feeling better now

rc2002
07-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Thanks for all the well wishing guys. :) Feeling a lot better today - my head is still spinning a bit, but I felt ok enough to squeeze in a few games of squash this afternoon.

The car was that convertible CRX I had posted up in the marketplace a while back. The hood was was held on only by hood pins - no latch. The hood pins probably would've done the trick but they weren't secured tightly before we started driving.

The driver was fine physically (monetarily a different story) - the hood totally missed him and he was wearing wraparound sunglasses and coveralls so the glass never got him at all.

XylathaneGTR
07-10-2006, 01:27 AM
Wow, that's scary.
Glad to hear you're feeling okay

legendboy
07-10-2006, 08:27 AM
good to hear your ok man, scary!

4doorj
07-10-2006, 08:40 AM
glad your ok!
thats a scary thing to happen

damn... just realized i have a aftermarket hood and a convertible.... scary!!!
my hood looks very secure... i remember on my old car my hood didnt look secure... took it off right away

slickk
07-10-2006, 09:20 AM
CraZy! ..that's fuct, glad to hear ur ok

Neil4Speed
07-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Very Scary stuff, I am happy to see that it didn't result in anything worse.

core_upt
07-10-2006, 10:31 AM
[i]
The car was that convertible CRX I had posted up in the marketplace a while back.[/B]

Maybe its a CRX thing...happened to me twice in my CRX, although both times the windshield just spidered, didn't actually break through (both times going around 80K)

It is the loudest sound and biggest shock ever! Good to hear you're ok - it could be a lot worse