PDA

View Full Version : Best Buffet in Calgary?

Manhattan
07-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Warren Buffet made a fortune from this style of restaurants because everyone loves to pig out at a buffet til they are inches away from suicide by ingestion. What are your favourite buffets in Calgary in terms of value, choice, and yumminess?

adam c
07-09-2006, 08:33 PM
the chinese place in deerfoot mall ranks close to the top of my list

Manhattan
07-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by adam c
the chinese place in deerfoot mall ranks close to the top of my list

:drool: I think that place is called Yangtze River something. My first time there I almost had to have a caesarean section til I learned to pace myself. Definately tops my list for best value and selection.

M_K_3
07-09-2006, 08:43 PM
treasure of chine :D :drool:

Nissanaddict
07-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by M_K_3
treasure of chine :D :drool:

That place is awful. My fave is the one in midnapore by the little caesars (forgot the name tho :P)

Sprinter
07-12-2006, 03:52 PM
... Home Food Inn ...

:dunno:

h0tm1x
07-12-2006, 04:11 PM
I remember Foody Goody. They had the best chinese Buffet and affordable. Too bad they got shut down (for serving cats and dogs i heard) :cry:

szw
07-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Actually I believe it was Jimmy Buffett not Warren.

Si_FlyGuy
07-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by h0tm1x
I remember Foody Goody. They had the best chinese Buffet and affordable. Too bad they got shut down (for serving cats and dogs i heard) :cry:

I think it was sanitary infractions.

:rofl:

Manhattan
07-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by szw
Actually I believe it was Jimmy Buffett not Warren.

Jimmy Buffett owns a few restaurants but I don't think they're buffett style. I just tossed Warren Buffet's name in there as a dumb in-joke.

szw
07-12-2006, 06:00 PM
I know I guess mine was an even dumber joke. I'll go kill myself now.

DeeK
07-13-2006, 10:12 AM
New dynasty @ crowfoot crossing. Thats my fave for sure.

sputnik
07-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Warren Buffet made a fortune from this style of restaurants because everyone loves to pig out at a buffet til they are inches away from suicide by ingestion. What are your favourite buffets in Calgary in terms of value, choice, and yumminess?

NOBODY with the last name "Buffet" invented the buffet.

The term has been around since the mid 1800s and first the all-you-can-eat buffet was started in Vegas in the 1940s.

l8braker
07-13-2006, 11:39 AM
buffet has a huge company called birkshire hathaway. i doubt he's ever eaten at any buffet in the last 50+ years :nut:

Sprinter
07-19-2006, 11:55 AM
When it comes to Brunch... Carraige House Inn and Smugglers are awesome... all you can eat... MMMMMMMMMMM :drool:

Slashin_
07-22-2006, 11:39 PM
foody goody back in the day was the shizzle... i ah hot pot and over 100 dishes....thro in raw seafood in the pot eat the dishes while they cook :thumbsup:

on a diffrent note when i was in T.O the best buffet EVER
sushi(made infront of you),chinese dishess,fresh grill sticks of meat,salads,soups,DIM SUM,expensive dish(crab hand ball,lobster..etc),ice cream,exotic fresh fruit
best buffet ever had

name of resteraunt was star walk......not star wok

ronaldo
07-23-2006, 10:25 AM
home food inn is disgusting

szw
07-24-2006, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

NOBODY with the last name "Buffet" invented the buffet.

The term has been around since the mid 1800s and first the all-you-can-eat buffet was started in Vegas in the 1940s.

wow

DeeK
07-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Slashin_
foody goody back in the day was the shizzle... i ah hot pot and over 100 dishes....thro in raw seafood in the pot eat the dishes while they cook :thumbsup:

on a diffrent note when i was in T.O the best buffet EVER
sushi(made infront of you),chinese dishess,fresh grill sticks of meat,salads,soups,DIM SUM,expensive dish(crab hand ball,lobster..etc),ice cream,exotic fresh fruit
best buffet ever had

name of resteraunt was star walk......not star wok

Speaking of Toronto, Best buffet that I remember there was called Mandarin, I believe it was in pickering.

Absolutely HUGE.. Never seen a place with like 12 buffet tables and a full pig roast EVERY DAY. wow.

szw
07-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by DeeK

Speaking of Toronto, Best buffet that I remember there was called Mandarin, I believe it was in pickering.

Absolutely HUGE.. Never seen a place with like 12 buffet tables and a full pig roast EVERY DAY. wow.

Mandarin is a chain, there a bunch throughout Toronto.

dino_martini
07-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Smugglers is really good, but there is a line most of the time. Carriage house is really good...other then breakfest and chinese food there isnt really many buffets.

DonJuan
07-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by DeeK

Mandarin is the whole reason to go to toronto. Best breakfast/brunch buffet in calgary is at Mother tuckers on Sundays (I think). Chinese food I still go to Treasures of china once in a while as I don't trust that deerfoot mall buffet as it's always chaning names and being shut down. #1 though despite the price is Sunday brunch at banff springs

LEB MAFIA
07-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Actually Foody Goodie was serving seagull meat :barf:

in*10*se
07-24-2006, 02:03 PM
best buffet = stage west.... :D :D

DonJuan
07-24-2006, 02:04 PM
^^^ oh god... I didn't need to know that...

LEB MAFIA
07-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Haha I no:eek:

frozenrice
07-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict

That place is awful. My fave is the one in midnapore by the little caesars (forgot the name tho :P)

Gold Bistro. Not a very big buffet though, but quality wise not bad at all for that price and end of Calgary.

Whatever happened to places like ChiChi's and Fatal (Fabled) Table? In my younger days living on my own and making minimum wage, it was the shit. Gave me the shits too, but that's another thing all together.

HuMz
07-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

Gold Bistro. Not a very big buffet though, but quality wise not bad at all for that price and end of Calgary.

Whatever happened to places like ChiChi's and Fatal (Fabled) Table? In my younger days living on my own and making minimum wage, it was the shit. Gave me the shits too, but that's another thing all together.

Agreed, while a place like treasure's of china can be good for some shit, it can also be very nasty.

Gold bistro is alway's good whenever you go.

cityhunter2501
07-25-2006, 09:41 AM
I thought Food Goody just changed its name to Yangtze River.
didnt know they got closed for sanitary infractions.

Treasure of China used to be good, but dont like their current location

snowboard
07-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Foody goody and treasure of china haha..
i remember treasures of china had like taco's and french fries..
used to go there with the neighbours every sunday, until all the parents got divorced :rolleyes:

scat19
07-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Sprinter
When it comes to Brunch... Carraige House Inn and Smugglers are awesome... all you can eat... MMMMMMMMMMM :drool:

Smugglers buffet style brunch, chaa ching!

XTC323
09-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Ugh, speaking of sanitary infractions - I went to Sushi BBQ Inn on 16th ave across from SAIT - and asked for more tea, they got pissed (I guess it was busy or something - but so!?) and they spat into my teapot (thinking I didn't see) and then brought it over and served it to me.

How disgusting and disturbing is that. I can only imagine what else they do to the food there.

I wouldn't recommend anyone going there if they value their immune system and their health.

I would suggest Sushi Ichiban for all you can eat sushi, if people like that more. It's on Mcleod Trail. Yumm!

blueToy
09-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

Whatever happened to places like ChiChi's

Since the outbreak of E Coli with the spinach thing in the US , some news reporters have brought back or shown old clips of other outbreaks in the US . One of which was a chain called Chi-Chi's . Apparantly , there was something bad in their food that injured over 600 folks , and killed 4 . YIKES , I'm assuming their business went down the pipes just as fast as the craps of all those who got ill .

Seanith
09-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Bumping this up... i want to get chinese food tonight but would rather get a buffet to save some money. Any good chinese food buffets in the south? I went to home food inn a while ago and it sucked. Gold bistro is deece but their selection isn't all that large... plus i think they only have lunch buffets?

JspecB16
09-22-2006, 08:21 AM
peking peking in riverbend :thumbsup:

someone from beyond is an owner/operator there!! ;)

max_boost
09-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Yah tonight would be a good night to come in, between 5-7pm is ideal. Friday night, busy night, everything will be HOT and FRESH and the place is going to be PACKED as hell I imagine. Say you are from Beyond and you'll get free drinks/refills and a discount. :werd: :drool:

RSeXy and I will be at the counter to greet you. :thumbsup:

JspecB16
09-22-2006, 09:16 AM
for those who don't know ^^^ Max_boost is the owner/operator of peking peking i was talking about. haha

I'll stop by for some grub tonight :thumbsup:

5hift
09-22-2006, 01:51 PM
All this talk has made me hungry for chinese. Where exactly in Riverbend is this place.

James
09-22-2006, 03:44 PM
I use to Live in Pickering, Ontario and i remember going to a kick ass Buffet all the time with Family, im guessing it was Mandarin :dunno:

Originally posted by max_boost
Yah tonight would be a good night to come in, between 5-7pm is ideal. Friday night, busy night, everything will be HOT and FRESH and the place is going to be PACKED as hell I imagine. Say you are from Beyond and you'll get free drinks/refills and a discount. :werd: :drool:

RSeXy and I will be at the counter to greet you. :thumbsup:

:rofl:...shameless plug!...It is good food though!...I Eat there way too much! ;)

James
09-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
All this talk has made me hungry for chinese. Where exactly in Riverbend is this place.

Next to the Hair Salon and Subway, by the Sobey's.

JspecB16
09-22-2006, 03:47 PM
^^^ and if u order delivery there is about a 70% chance it will be ^^^ James that delivers it!!! haha

HHURICANE1
09-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by James

Next to the Hair Salon and Subway, by the Sobey's.

I used to work at the Auto Value there. Good ginger beef!

snade831
09-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Peaking Peaking is the only place I order from. It's sooo good.