PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Buy Any Homes From Parkgreen Homes Ltd.

leec001
07-10-2006, 12:25 PM
The lot next to me is by the builder "Parkgreen homes". They started construction early this year and damaged the exterior several time. I phoned and tried to deal with the problems with no luck. It refused to pay for and being told => "They are my contractors only, you should get them to pay for the damage. Ok, so this builder doesn't want to take any responsiblity to any one its jobs. After you buy a new home from them with problem, it will say => ask the contractor to fix it. Parkgreen homes has no responsibility for the problems.

Parkgreen homes is buiding a pressured threaded deck to the house. The problem is telling the client it is a pressure threaded deck, but only part of it. The top cover is pressure threaded wood but the base and structure is not => telling lies.

When I was searching for my house, I was almost brought it from ParkGreen Homes. I am glad I didn't purchase my new home with it. Pricy, lies, poor jobs and take no responsibility => Park Green Home.

I will take some photos of the poor jobs Parkgreen Homes did tonight.

www.parkgreenhomes.com

kaput
07-10-2006, 12:40 PM

jdmakkord
07-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Take a look at the spelling and grammer errors on their home page. First of all, being an EI, I would never trust a home built by one. We made that mistake, thinking that it was a different case, but are still dealing with issues thanks to it. That company was building a 6 bedroom 2 story across the street from me, after a year...all that was done was the excavation and cribbing. Long story short, they got booted, and the customer went with someone else.

SC2
07-10-2006, 10:31 PM
"[email protected]"

lol who uses hotmail for a business? damn

FiveFreshFish
07-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Never heard of these guys, but thanks for the tip.

shakalaka
07-10-2006, 11:46 PM
If they are constently on your property you can easily sue them for Nuisance and Tresspass. Also can obviously sue them for the damage. Specially if you've told them OFF then it is deffinately Negligent Nuisance and well the damage is obviously there.

Or you can also bring the action against the Contractors, or you can be against the both of the parties.

Talk to a lawyer, if you need one give me a PM. Can get you contacts of some good one's.

leec001
07-11-2006, 07:58 AM
OOPS.................
Vent exhaust is filled with insulation. Try to keep u warm in the winter?????????

leec001
07-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Top of the Deck is thin pressure treated.
Frame and structure of deck is regular wood.............
CRAP................!

leec001
07-11-2006, 08:03 AM
OOPS - forgot to cover it or running out of materials?

SikAssR1
07-11-2006, 08:06 AM
lets see damages to your house

sputnik
07-11-2006, 08:12 AM
How did you not catch that stuff before you took possession?

heavyD
07-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
How did you not catch that stuff before you took possession?

I believe it's the house next door but I'm not 100% on that. Welcome to the wonderful world of shoddy builders that plague this city. I own a Shane Home and it didn't take long for me to come to the conclusion that their name should be changed to Shit Homes. The truth is that most houses in the Calgary market are being built by people that aren't even proper tradesmen which is due to too much construction and too few qualified tradesmen available.

benyl
07-11-2006, 08:51 AM
meh.

If you didn't pay for a pressure treated deck, then you won't get one. Those little pieces that are missing happen with EVERY builder. It take a year after possession for most homes to be "complete."

I do agree they are amateurs. The links on their website are invalid... and I love the hotmail address for the web master... hahahahhahaha

topmade
07-11-2006, 08:51 AM
^^ I got a shane home too, not too impressed with the work, but having some experience with construction I wasn't surprised. But service wise they are not too bad with my experience so far and have fixed everything we asked and more.

rony_espana
07-11-2006, 08:56 AM
I got a Trico Home and I love it :thumbsup: Can't really complain about anything yet and I've been there for more than 2 years.

dezinr
07-11-2006, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by benyl
[B]meh.

Those little pieces that are missing happen with EVERY builder. It take a year after possession for most homes to be "complete."

Still there is no excuse for any builder to be doing this not with the prices people are paying. I'm interested to see what 10-15 years down the road will bring....I can forsee a lot of issues with these homes in the future which is trully unfortunate.

shakalaka
07-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Well we've got Stepper Custom Homes for now, and it's actually pretty decent. Some of the problems we had after we took the possession of the house, were rectified by their personnel in a timely manner.

leec001
07-11-2006, 10:38 AM
My builder is excellent => "Prominent homes Ltd". It fixed the problem right-the-way, including the damage by the GOd Dam "ParkGreen Homes".

"Prominent Homes" is a nice builder we have no problem so far. not even a tiny problem.

I don't have the photo at the moment, what it did was a cracked vinyl with a 2inch x 2inch hole on the side.

The deck is called "Pressure Threaded deck" by Parkgreen Homes.

SinisterProbeGt
07-11-2006, 10:52 AM
your first picture of the vent. Its pluged just inside that cover remove it and pull out the insulation. We put ins to stop dust and debris from entering your house during construction.

2nd picture.
The deck package bought or sold most through your friendly developer is always going to be crap.
its way to expensive to have your builder do your deck.
you get what you pay for. so have it built by a profeshional deck company after move in.

3rd shot
thats a problem with your cap and fashia guy.
come in after your sider to cap the exterior. its a cut off piece and should take a second to fix. its probally there just blew off.

leec001
07-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Isn't it right? I have never seen that. Will they remember to remove the insulation in the exhaust?

My deck is from the builder and its all pressure threaded same as Shane, Today, Sterling, Nuvista.............

dezinr
07-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
your first picture of the vent. Its pluged just inside that cover remove it and pull out the insulation. We put ins to stop dust and debris from entering your house during construction.

2nd picture.
The deck package bought or sold most through your friendly developer is always going to be crap.
its way to expensive to have your builder do your deck.
you get what you pay for. so have it built by a profeshional deck company after move in.

3rd shot
thats a problem with your cap and fashia guy.
come in after your sider to cap the exterior. its a cut off piece and should take a second to fix. its probally there just blew off.

Still that is the resposibility of the home builder! The hell if I would fix my own house after spending well over 200K if not more on it! It's ridiculous to assume the home owner should have to take care of this.....when people by a brand new car and something doesn't work should they be resposible to fix it? And a car is no near the investment as a house is. I'm getting really sick of builders and developers thinking its ok to getaway with shit construction and taking advantage of home owners becuase there is a boom and that seems to make it okay to screw people over! That's a load of shit in my opinion!!!!

googe
07-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Without even touching on whether or not these are significant issues, the fact that your builder told you to go take it up with his contractors is definitely wrong. Doesnt matter whose fault they are or if they are issues, thats a bad sign.

nismodrifter
07-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by leec001
My builder is excellent => "Prominent homes Ltd". It fixed the problem right-the-way, including the damage by the GOd Dam "ParkGreen Homes".

"Prominent Homes" is a nice builder we have no problem so far. not even a tiny problem.

I don't have the photo at the moment, what it did was a cracked vinyl with a 2inch x 2inch hole on the side.

The deck is called "Pressure Threaded deck" by Parkgreen Homes.

FYI: Prominent Homes and Parkgreen Homes are owned by the same family. The owners are brothers. Funny how one house is shit and one is "ok" when it's basically being built by the same people.

SinisterProbeGt
07-11-2006, 01:47 PM
"it should be" removed by the people installing the dryer....

Deck from the builder will have
there mark up.
use there materials. from there suppliers
and use the cheapest mother to install it.
I have been called out to a home site 3 years after doing the deck for Cardel. due to improper install. faulty craftsmanship and sub-par materials.
It might look pressure treated, and it is but there is a diff in wood and grain and longevity of the wood itself.
deck's and fences should only be done by the OWNER and never the devloper!!!

dezinr
07-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I think there is a matter of quality control, as an architect we are accountable for our consultants, the contracotrs and all trades....we have to ensure that everything is done according to safety as well as quality standards.

In a case like the insulation in the dryer....sure the dryer installer should remove it...but i know for jobs we do we are resposible to insure that they do it.....if we miss something then we take full resposibility....and believe we don't make us much as come of these builders or developers....so how come they aren't doing the same quality control or employing more site superintendants to better ensure a higher level of quality control?

eljefe
07-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Here are the Better Business Bureau reports on both. They both have clean looking records. You can always lodge a complaint with the BBB about the builder.

BBB Reliability Report

The Better Business Bureau®
Serving Southern Alberta
Suite 350, 7330 Fisher Street S.E.
Calgary, AB T2H 2H8
(403) 517-4BBB
www.betterbusinessbureau.ca

Parkgreen Homes Ltd
55 Skyline Cresc NE
Calgary, AB T2K 5X2
Telephone: (403) 289-1111
Fax: (403) 289-1198
www.parkgreenhomes.com

The BBB reports on members and non-members. If a company is a member of the BBB, it is stated in this report
BBB Definition:

report - A summary of activity reflected in a company's BBB file. Includes basic business background, BBB membership information, and Bureau complaint activity over the previous three years. Also reports may include any known government actions, advertising issues or other information that results from activity conducted by the BBB.

Original Business Start Date: August 1991
Principal: Mr. Preetpal Shergill, President
Customer Contact: Mr. Preetpal Shergill, President - (403) 289-1111
Email Address: [email protected]
TOB Classification: Home Builders, Building Contractors
BBB Membership: This company is a member.

BBB Membership Status

This company has been a member of this Better Business Bureau since August 1993. This means it supports the Bureau's services to the public and meets our membership standards.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record
BBB Definition:

satisfactory record - A business identified in our report as satisfactory has, based on Bureau files, been in business for at least one year, and has voluntarily provided the Bureau with all information requested about the business and its product or service. If any complaints have been received about the business, their number has not been considered by the BBB to be extreme, given the nature of the company's business and the volume of business transacted. Complaints are also generally typical of what might be expected for this type of business. A business stated to be satisfactory has not been the subject of any recent law enforcement actions concerning its dealings with the public. If the business has been contacted by the BBB about its advertising or selling claims, it has modified or substantiated its practices to the Bureau's satisfaction. In addition, the BBB has a clear understanding of the company's business, and the business is not in an industry which has raised significant marketplace concerns.

with the Bureau. A satisfactory record
BBB Definition:

satisfactory record - A business identified in our report as satisfactory has, based on Bureau files, been in business for at least one year, and has voluntarily provided the Bureau with all information requested about the business and its product or service. If any complaints have been received about the business, their number has not been considered by the BBB to be extreme, given the nature of the company's business and the volume of business transacted. Complaints are also generally typical of what might be expected for this type of business. A business stated to be satisfactory has not been the subject of any recent law enforcement actions concerning its dealings with the public. If the business has been contacted by the BBB about its advertising or selling claims, it has modified or substantiated its practices to the Bureau's satisfaction. In addition, the BBB has a clear understanding of the company's business, and the business is not in an industry which has raised significant marketplace concerns.

means a company has been in business for at least 12 months, and properly addressed matters referred by the Bureau. The company does not have an unusual volume of complaints, or any government actions involving its marketplace conduct. The Bureau understands and has no concerns about the company's products, services and type of business.

The Bureau processed a total of 0 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period.

Additional DBAs, Addresses and Telephone Numbers

Additional Email Addresses
[email protected]

BBB Reliability Report

The Better Business Bureau®
Serving Southern Alberta
Suite 350, 7330 Fisher Street S.E.
Calgary, AB T2H 2H8
(403) 517-4BBB
www.betterbusinessbureau.ca

Prominent Homes Ltd.
2020 - 18 Street NW
Calgary, AB T2M 3T1
Telephone: (403) 338-1313
Fax: (403) 210-2226
www.prominenthomes.ca

The BBB reports on members and non-members. If a company is a member of the BBB, it is stated in this report
BBB Definition:

report - A summary of activity reflected in a company's BBB file. Includes basic business background, BBB membership information, and Bureau complaint activity over the previous three years. Also reports may include any known government actions, advertising issues or other information that results from activity conducted by the BBB.

Original Business Start Date: June 1990
Principal: Mr. Deep Shergill, Owner/President
Customer Contact: Mr. Wayne Leys, Site Manager
Entity:
Incorporated: July 2002, AB
BBB Membership: This company is a member.

Additional DBA Names

MelPaso Holdings Ltd.

BBB Membership Status

This company has been a member of this Better Business Bureau since September 2002. This means it supports the Bureau's services to the public and meets our membership standards.

Program Participation

This company participates in the Membership Identification Program
BBB Definition:

Membership Identification Program - A BBB program that allows members to identify themselves as BBB members in off-line media when the member signs a formal commitment to resolve disputes, if necessary, through arbitration.

and has agreed to use special procedures including arbitration
BBB Definition:

arbitration - http://www.dr.bbb.org/ComSenseAlt/bindArb.asp

, if necessary, to resolve disputes.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record
BBB Definition:

with the Bureau. A satisfactory record
BBB Definition:

means a company has been in business for at least 12 months, and properly addressed matters referred by the Bureau. The company does not have an unusual volume of complaints, or any government actions involving its marketplace conduct. The Bureau understands and has no concerns about the company's products, services and type of business.

The Bureau processed a total of 0 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period.

Company Management

Additional company management personnel include:

Surinder Brar - Accounting Department

nismodrifter
07-11-2006, 04:02 PM
PRESSURE TREATED!!! NOT PRESSURE THREADED!

:banghead:

SinisterProbeGt
07-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by dezinr
I think there is a matter of quality control, as an architect we are accountable for our consultants, the contracotrs and all trades....we have to ensure that everything is done according to safety as well as quality standards.

In a case like the insulation in the dryer....sure the dryer installer should remove it...but i know for jobs we do we are resposible to insure that they do it.....if we miss something then we take full resposibility....and believe we don't make us much as come of these builders or developers....so how come they aren't doing the same quality control or employing more site superintendants to better ensure a higher level of quality control?

"LIMITED LIABILITY" Partnership if somthing goes really wrong your only on the hook for your Limited share.

cman
07-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I believe it's the house next door but I'm not 100% on that. Welcome to the wonderful world of shoddy builders that plague this city. I own a Shane Home and it didn't take long for me to come to the conclusion that their name should be changed to Shit Homes. The truth is that most houses in the Calgary market are being built by people that aren't even proper tradesmen which is due to too much construction and too few qualified tradesmen available.
We generally use shame homes

z1_bam
07-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt

"LIMITED LIABILITY" Partnership if somthing goes really wrong your only on the hook for your Limited share.

when you're a partner in a LLP you are still responsible for your share of the business, ie all your projects and the contractors working under you, you're just more protected than before from your partner[s] going and pulling a bonehead move that costs the comany bigtime

SinisterProbeGt
07-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by z1_bam

when you're a partner in a LLP you are still responsible for your share of the business, ie all your projects and the contractors working under you, you're just more protected than before from your partner[s] going and pulling a bonehead move that costs the comany bigtime

Sure nut even if you willingly make a mistake or cut a project short and somone calls you out...
your only going to be on the hook for the most 50 to 100K and that it. On a 160 Mill $$ project whats 100K.

~Leah~
07-12-2006, 08:58 AM
I think a lot of these new homes are gonna fall apart in 15-20 years. My boyfriend does all the wiring (like cable, phone, security, etc) in these new homes and says they're being built in like 3 months. No care going into them and he said the foundation for a new home is supposed to settle for a year before they even start building on it due to the ground shifting. As nice as these new homes look I don't think I will ever get one now.

ringer
07-12-2006, 09:25 AM
I think a lot of these new homes are gonna fall apart in 15-20 years. My boyfriend does all the wiring (like cable, phone, security, etc) in these new homes and says they're being built in like 3 months. No care going into them and he said the foundation for a new home is supposed to settle for a year before they even start building on it due to the ground shifting. As nice as these new homes look I don't think I will ever get one now

no kidding
is that really true about the foundation?

:eek:

nismodrifter
07-12-2006, 09:30 AM
no.

The Cosworth
07-12-2006, 09:45 AM
I looked at an Excel home.. jesus, to patch up the stairs to the basement, they used left over drywall and just took pieces and screwed them in place!!! WTF?

I also will never buy a house built in the last 4 or 5 years unless I see real quality in the home, or I get a good custom builder (gotta make some mad coin first)

blitz
07-12-2006, 10:09 AM
You have to realize that the construction superintendent and crews doing the work are probably more important than the builder. With a more expensive builder you'd hope they'd have better crews, but it's not always the case.

ANY builder will try to get away with shit these days if you let them. That involves asking the right questions beforehand and monitoring the work during construction.

sputnik
07-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by brendankharris
I also will never buy a house built in the last 4 or 5 years unless I see real quality in the home, or I get a good custom builder (gotta make some mad coin first)

I wouldnt put all of my money on a "custom builder" as they all are just scraping to find any contractors they can find.

Lots of money doesnt mean quality anymore.

If I was to buy a house I would look for an unrenovated house in an area like Midnapore, Deer Run. Glamorgan etc.

rockym20
07-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by z1_bam

Thats right, a LLP does not protect the partners from external liabilities (loans, other financial obligations, lawsuits, etc.). It does provide additional rights and protection between the partners.

A Limited Parntership provides protection to the limited partners only. Their liability is limited to their initial investment. However, they are not allowed to be involved in the management of the company at all. If they do take on management responsibilities or decisions, they loose their "limited" status and are considered to be general partners. Its basically a way to protect external investors, similar to a corporation.

TrevorK
07-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

I wouldnt put all of my money on a "custom builder" as they all are just scraping to find any contractors they can find.

Lots of money doesnt mean quality anymore.

If I was to buy a house I would look for an unrenovated house in an area like Midnapore, Deer Run. Glamorgan etc.

With the builders I've talked to here in Edmonton, the really good ones limit the number of houses they build because they use the same crews on each one.

Because of this, the quality you see in their showhome is the same quality you receive.

windchime
05-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Now might be a good time to talk in public about a court case I have had on an owner of Parkgreen Homes.

Focus on Sherwood development and what they pulled there. I am open to anyone who has had a bad experience and we can compare notes.

I have a huge scoop on Parkgreen Homes and am willing to eagerly assist any one else that may have had disagreements with them.

Please contact privately - [email protected]

Lex350
05-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
I think a lot of these new homes are gonna fall apart in 15-20 years. My boyfriend does all the wiring (like cable, phone, security, etc) in these new homes and says they're being built in like 3 months. No care going into them and he said the foundation for a new home is supposed to settle for a year before they even start building on it due to the ground shifting. As nice as these new homes look I don't think I will ever get one now.

The foundation does not have to sit for a year...that is just plain wrong!

Lex350
05-19-2009, 09:08 AM
The way I see it. It is the responsibility of the owner to make sure your house is built right. If you have knowledge of construction you should be at the house every second day to review what is being built. If you don;t then hire someone to check on the build.

From what I've seen you can;t really say theat one builder is any better of worse than the next. It comes down to what crews you have working on your house and how good the site supervisor is. Many builders have their "A" guys and then the crap people they get to meet demand.

brian_tr
05-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
The way I see it. It is the responsibility of the owner to make sure your house is built right. If you have knowledge of construction you should be at the house every second day to review what is being built. If you don;t then hire someone to check on the build.

that's what my dad did when we were building our house in sherwood. although he worked evening shift so it worked for him.
he ended up befriending the construction manager after a while and quite a few of the tradespeople, showing up with donuts every now and then. his idea was that quality/effort go up when the people building your house actually like you

Durquist99
09-20-2010, 10:45 AM
A friend of mine unfortunately is building a new home up in the boonies in Lyalta with Newstar Homes. It was originally was supposed to be under ParkGreen Homes but the owners of ParkGreen put it under Newstar because they said they were planning to close ParkGreen?! They were promised to get showhome quality upgrades included in the purchase price (written in the contract) among other things but they were constantly told it would be extra and the upgrades that the builder is showing them is not comparable to the original showhome. As well it took nearly 6 months before they starting digging the foundation even they kept getting promises of it being done the next week. It wasn't until a group of us at a dinner party advised him to get a lawyer involved that he got some kind of response. He wanted to cancel the deal but he already sold his house and put a sizable deposit/installments down. If he cancels he loses everything because even though the money was supposedly to be held in trust it turns out these guys cash the money right away blow it away on their on personal stuff.

Turns out ParkGreen Homes was not officially closing down, they just switched to Newstar Homes because they were being sued be everyone and did not want anyone to track any money that were going into ParkGreen accounts so they seize it. Guess who was suing them.. the banks and trades... they were not paying them.

To top it all off the excuse they get is that its not their fault they are too poor and they blame everything else on their staff , the developer or the trades. Turns out once again nothing was being done because nobody was getting paid including the staff!!

He and wife especially are pretty ticked with the builder and the slick talking realtor that got them into this mess.

InRich
09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by rony_espana
I got a Trico Home and I love it :thumbsup: Can't really complain about anything yet and I've been there for more than 2 years.

reaaaally I heard nothing but horror stories about em.... I built with Cardel homes... overall, I'd say their below to average home builders.... next time I think I'll be going to Morrison, heard nothing but good, except for one person, in the NW