PDA

View Full Version : How do I Install Two Amps in my Car?

Weapon_R
04-12-2003, 02:27 PM
I already have an amp and sub installed, but i'm wondering how I install another amplifier so I can send some more power to my speakers. Any suggestions.

D'z Nutz
04-12-2003, 02:38 PM
That's easy. Just get a distrobution block. Say, for example, you're using 8 guage power/ground for your amp right now... You might want to use something like 4 guage from your battery terminal to your distrobution block, which then splits into two 8 guage wiring which will go to each of your amps. You'll probably want a distrobution block for your ground too (two 8 guage ground going into a distrobution block which connects to one 4 guage wire), but it's not necessary. I'd recommend getting a distrobution block with a fuse holder for your power.

Here's some examples of what I'm talking about:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/ezcompare/accessories/Images/Rockford/2003/Accessories/CPFD2_F.jpg

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/ezcompare/accessories/Images/Rockford/2003/Accessories/CPFD4_F.jpg

The one thicker wire goes in from one end, and the smaller wires split up out the other. Fuses in the middle.

Weapon_R
04-12-2003, 03:31 PM
ok thats cool but what about RCAs etc? I can split the power and ground into two wires, but how do I get sound into the new amp?

btw - how much does a distribution block cost?

D'z Nutz
04-12-2003, 03:51 PM
I don't think the distro block costs more than $20, but I can't remember exactly.

Does your deck have subout and front/rear preouts?? If they do, just hook the RCA from the subout to the amp you want to use for the sub, and your front/rear preouts to the amp you want to use for your speakers.

If, however you don't, you might want to consider getting a crossover. RCA from deck to the cross over, higher frequencies to the speaker amp, lower to the sub amp.

Another alternative is using Y-cables to split the signal from the RCA so that it can go to two different amps. The bad thing about that is, say your preouts output 4.0 volts (for example), each amp will only be getting 2.0 volts, which means you're going to have to turn up the gains on the amp and it's not going to sound as nice. If your amps have built in crossovers, just make sure the sub amp is set to low-pass filter, and high-pass for the speaker amp.

bol
04-12-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I already have an amp and sub installed, but i'm wondering how I install another amplifier so I can send some more power to my speakers. Any suggestions.

You want to add another amp to an existing set of speakers for more power? not a seperate set of speakers?

only way to do it is if they are bi-ampable, ie, component set, one amp for the mids, one for the highs.

Weapon_R
04-13-2003, 04:41 AM
I think D'z nutz has it...

I just want to add an amp strictly for my speakers.

I will use another set of RCA cables from the decks front/rear preouts, makes sense to me and seems like the best way to do it. I can just splice the power and ground from the existing ones I have already I guess.

D'z Nutz
04-13-2003, 10:39 AM
BTW, it's not necessary to have the ground connect together from the amps if you don't need it. Just as long as they're both properly grounded, that's all that's important.