PDA

View Full Version : Construction flaws -- who to deal with?

Foz
07-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Do you deal with the site superintendent or the sales people/developers?

I've talked to Excel and they've mentioned to deal with them because the site superintendents manager over 50 homes/projects...

What's your experience?

Sharpie
07-11-2006, 09:51 PM
If its a new house deal with the builder.Bring it up wiht your salesperson..

blitz
07-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Deal with the construction superintentent on anything important.

They're telling you to go through the sales people because the sup is at (or above) max capacity and they want to keep people from wasting his time. Sales people just sit around anyway.

If it's a general inquiry or a minor question, just deal with the salesperson unless you don't get answers that way. If you have concerns over something major or time senstive, call the Sup. You'll notice all the sups have private numbers so you can't get their cell off call display so ask for the number for the construction office.

If they don't give it to you, tell them you'll only use it for major concerns if they come up.

Also request for a framing/rough in walkthrough. The superintentent should walk you through before drywalling so you can inspect everything before it gets covered up. Take lots of pictures so you'll know where plumbing and electrical are run. Good time to ask any questions about finishing and trim work as well as bug him to make sure you're driveway gets poured before mid october.

I dealt with Chris as a superintendent when I built with Excel, at the time he was a picky bastard and caught most flaws and defects in workmanship before I had to talk to him. In the last month of our construction they handed him the Coventry Hills stuff as well and he was stretched to the max. If a sups doing his job properly, he should do a walkthrough/inspection of the house every day work is done.

Well all was said and done, the only thing wrong with the house was the garage door needed adjusting and a minor plumbing mixup in the basement. With the market as crazy as it is and crack being the breakfast of choice for most construction crews, I'd suggest driving by at least a couple of times per week to look at the house. Take a tape measure and a level and you're house plans. Talk to the framing crew, be nice, bring them donuts. etc etc.

Lex350
07-12-2006, 08:31 AM
The salesperson in most companies won't know jack shit and have even less power to do anything about it unless he is a top performer. When you build a house you should have already been on good terms and talking to the site super from day one.

rockym20
07-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Definitely the site super. When I bought my home 4 years ago, we had a number of small issues. The site super wasn't informed of them. One morning, I saw him drive by and waved him down. He was pretty pissed off that no one told him, and everything was done within the week.

DeeK
07-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Take it to the site supervisor with your builder.
If nothing is done, and you are still within your warranty. Take it to Alberta New Home Warranty.

If still nothing is done, seek legal attention.

Foz
07-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I'd figured speaking with the site super is the way to go. Rather talk to the horses's mouth than its ass.

Got to find out how to contact the site super.