PDA

View Full Version : Why don't buy a used modify car?

snow_daniel
07-12-2006, 12:08 PM
I am wondering why people don't buy a modify car?

MrSector9
07-12-2006, 12:10 PM
I thinky ou mean one already modified.

the reason I don't is sually ebcasue people want alot of money for them.

another reason is it usually is not built how YOU want it built,

another would be the joy of doing it yourself. Also by this I do not mean picking out parts and tkaing it to a garage, but doing it all yourself :)

Weapon_R
07-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Another is that modified cars are usually bagged by young punks.

Dayclone
07-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Too Expensive.... there's the first reason.

Second is their driven to shit.

TurboTEGRA
07-12-2006, 12:23 PM
There not all driven to shit. Lots of people take care of there cars. I know i do and my cars is very modded

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Another is that modified cars are usually bagged by young punks.

how about a mechanical inspection??:dunno:

The Cosworth
07-12-2006, 12:24 PM
^^^ +1 for all that

I want it to run and look the way I want... I’m not paying 15000 for a 20 year old sup'd car (just an example).... It may be a nice car but I don’t see that much value in a mod'd one

You also cannot guarantee the quality of work.. If I went to a 30 yr old guys house that he has to sell for his family and he had like a 350Z or some nicer car I would consider it over a civic or Celica because you don’t bolt shit to that car and make it worse, you get it done right.... a civic with a horrible exhaust, messed up wiring, bad body kit, home repaired (amateur) rust, all are bad when dealing with a 17 yr olds first mod. Also typically driven really hard and not always safely...

Not saying there aren’t some done up really nice.. Just can happen

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by TurboTEGRA
There not all driven to shit. Lots of people take care of there cars. I know i do and my cars is very modded

I second that motion, my car is my baby

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 12:31 PM
I like to think that when almost all the MAIN parts on the car are replaced with performance parts, it is like a new or newer car.

When the brakes are done, suspension, engine swap for lower k, tranny swap with lower k, clutch, exhaust, gaskets etc what part of the car is going to brake down? everything is new instead of 10 or 15 years old.

I guess it depends on how much the car has been modified

QuasarCav
07-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Most of them look like ass.

I.E; Nasty body kits, stickers, angel eye projectors, wierd paint colors, Improperly swapped motors.

I will only buy unmodified cars, if you are into that kind of shit you can get pretty good deals on already modded cars from people who know what price to sell them at.

The Cosworth
07-12-2006, 12:36 PM
I agree but who did the modifying? I will not buy a car off of a kid who has a sup'd car and no reciepts telling me who installed the shit. I can handle an intake and that.. and I had buddies in highschool who could tear apart a block (and did) and did a great job, but I have had other buddies buy those cars off of kids and find out just how bad they fucked them up... I went through the stage of not having money and trying to make things work and good so your happy... I just am glad that car got totaled, I would feel horrible if I ever sold that thing to anyone... my god!

BTW JSpecb16, i typically dont like civics but the one in your Avatar is pimp :thumbsup:

The Cosworth
07-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Also some people feel that if you put $8000 in a $8000 car you can ask $16000.00 doesnt quite work that way too.... last I heard, mods are at most worth 50% once they are installed

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris

BTW JSpecb16, i typically dont like civics but the one in your Avatar is pimp :thumbsup:

Thanks man, its mine, and for sale haha lol
That doesn't make my opinion bias does it?? :rofl:

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 12:40 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136244&highlight=civic+jdm :dunno:

QuasarCav
07-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Also some people feel that if you put $8000 in a $8000 car you can ask $16000.00 doesnt quite work that way too.... last I heard, mods are at most worth Nothing once they are installed

Edited for reality.

1991 Integra Stock with 200,000kms = 3000.00

1991 Integra with crazy mods = 2500.00

The Cosworth
not on my point because if its clean, and well taken care of, and you dont show up screaming rap music and wearing cloth's two sizes to big I can handle it.... I can handle self installed mods, but not a rebuilt block and you live in an apartment.

My buddie bought a turbo CRX that the guy installed and I dont remember what happened, but it ended up blowing the first week because of a shitty install.. so im bias too

JspecB16
Also some people feel that if you put $8000 in a $8000 car you can ask $16000.00 doesnt quite work that way too.... last I heard, mods are at most worth 50% once they are installed

not even, it sucks.

I've put over $17,000 into mine and thats not including ALL the labour costs, I bought my car for $8300 and i'm selling for $12,900 now.

The Cosworth
07-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

Edited for reality.

1991 Integra Stock with 200,000kms = 3000.00

1991 Integra with crazy mods = 2500.00

yeah I know, but my point is people feel that mods increase the sale price... moding your car is the worst investment besides actually purchasing a new car... I was just stating another point of why I dont typically buy mod'd cars, guys think they are worth that much

QuasarCav
07-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by JspecB16

not even, it sucks.

I've put over $17,000 into mine and thats not including ALL the labour costs, I bought my car for $8300 and i'm selling for $12,900 now.

Worth about 8K, you would have to find someone who wants to modify a civic to look like that to buy it fro asking price.

Okay, maybe 9K, the engine adds value.

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 12:45 PM

Worth about 8K, you would have to find someone who wants to modify a civic to look like that to buy it fro asking price.

Okay, maybe 9K, the engine adds value.

ah hahaha ur funny:rofl:

barbarian
07-12-2006, 12:46 PM
I think this is because with most older used cars, the seller usually gets rid of it when he learns of a major problem or repair needed, and goes and gets an additive like No Smoke to cover it up and sell it. Add to that that modded cars are usually driven a lot harder, and buying one is asking to spend a lot on repairs.

Generally, for a normal used car >8 years old, you can count on spending the same amount you paid to purchase it, on repairs within a year. For a modded used car >8 years old, count on spending double your purchase price.

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by barbarian
I think this is because with most older used cars, the seller usually gets rid of it when he learns of a major problem or repair needed, and goes and gets an additive like No Smoke to cover it up and sell it. Add to that that modded cars are usually driven a lot harder, and buying one is asking to spend a lot on repairs.

Generally, for a normal used car >8 years old, you can count on spending the same amount you paid to purchase it, on repairs within a year. For a modded used car >8 years old, count on spending double your purchase price.

depends on the mods, like i said a couple of posts up if every important part on the car is replaced you shouldn't need to repair it :dunno:

Altezza
07-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Rule of thumb: Never buy a car from a young asian kid.

QuasarCav
07-12-2006, 12:49 PM

Post up the bill of sale when you get rid of it. Then we can all have a good laugh.

I think your original price was 16.9, we are at 13 already.

03ozwhip
07-12-2006, 12:50 PM
^^^ +1 i take alot of pride in my car and i hope that most people looking at it wil think so too. therefore i DO NOT and will not bag the shit out of my car. i wanna sell it knowing that someones not going to come back to me complaining it doesnt run properly. its going to be sold to someone the same way it was sold to me...except better :)

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 12:52 PM

Post up the bill of sale when you get rid of it. Then we can all have a good laugh.

I think your original price was 16.9, we are at 13 already.

I think ur mistaken. It was 14,500 and I lowered it so quickly, because I want my BIMMER!!!!! Its driving me nuts!!!:banghead:

rc2002
I'm all for buying modified cars. If I was going to modify the car anyway, I'd rather just buy it like that (providing it's done right). Then you don't have to go through allt he trouble of modifying it and tracking down parts and such.

Virtually every modified car owner takes a hit when they sell their car. You can capitalize on that and save yourself some money.

Make sure it's a good car, and one that you can trace the history of, and then you're laughing.

Unknown303
Hell if i had cash laying around i would buy Jspec's car in a second. That car is :bigpimp: . On another note i'm agreeing with Brend on the fact that a lot of the vehicles for sale on here are all modded and as soon as that person put that extra crap on the car they think its increasing the value of the car by the amount the mod costed. Really blows my mind to see so many 15+ cars for sale for way too much.

But thats just my opinion so please don't flame me.

teggypimp95
People like to have there own style and such. Fun to work from the ground up and build it urself.

Id say most of the time they have been bagged on or driven harder than usual. And some people think they can add up all there mods, plus the priceof the car, and then sell it for that amount.

3G
07-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by barbarian

I don;t really agree with this, all the cars ive bought so far were over 8 years old and i didnt put more than a couple hundred into them

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 12:53 PM
^^^ best point so far

benyl
07-12-2006, 01:02 PM

Now that people know that you paid $8300 for it, it might be worth $7500.

Cars don't appreciate in value, no matter what you put in it. You will get way more money for your car if you part it and put everything back to stock.

No one cares what mods have been done to a car when they are buying something. There are only a select few who do.

Stock cars are worth WAY more.

Would you rather buy a stock 94 Supra, or a modded one that has 500 hp and is on the verge of blowing up. A 500hp supra with a shitty tune is going to cost big bucks to fix.

heavyD
07-12-2006, 01:12 PM

He's not being funny. I would pay more for a bone stock used car than a modded one.

Unknown303
07-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Jspecs car however isn't just run of the mill modded. Its got some serious work. All wrapped up in a presentable package.

benyl
07-12-2006, 01:18 PM
No one can prove that serious work was done correctly.

sputnik
07-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

He's not being funny. I would pay more for a bone stock used car than a modded one.

:werd:

I can see in the near future that a low km BONE STOCK USDM ITR (that includes NO jdm crap on it) will actually have some serious value.

If you watch Barrett-Jackson the top dollar cars are low mile, original (or restored to original) condition that are rarer performance models. I'm not saying that an ITR will be worth 6 digits but they will certainly command a decent price if babied and kept stock.

heavyD
07-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Jspecs car however isn't just run of the mill modded. Its got some serious work. All wrapped up in a presentable package.

I'm not saying his car is crap. All I'm saying is that there is only a small part of the population that will be interested in paying well over market value for a car. There are tonnes of people looking for used Civics but not many that will pay thousands over market value for a heavily modded Civic.

arian_ma
07-12-2006, 01:20 PM

Wouldn't it depend on what kind of mods though?
I hardly consider coil overs and a cat back exhaust to justify not buying the car. Like Richard said, if you're going to do it later anyways and it's done right...well their loss is your gain right?

heavyD
07-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Wouldn't it depend on what kind of mods though?

Not for me. I may consider a car with an aftermarket exhaust but if it's lowered I'm not interested.

snow_daniel
07-12-2006, 01:22 PM

I'm not saying his car is crap. All I'm saying is that there is only a small part of the population that will be interested in paying well over market value for a car. There are tonnes of people looking for used Civics but not many that will pay thousands over market value for a heavily modded Civic.
How about this??
"96 Spoon Yellow Honda civic Ek9 About(81000 KM)
-2000 civic type R complete conversion included
side makers, front grill, front lip , rear lip and tail lights
- jdm black headlight with HID 6000K
- 2000 civic sir Gauge
- jdm Buddy club Carbon hood
- jdm side Mirrors
- Spoon Carbon Roof spoiler
- 5 nuts 4-pot Caliper Spoon brake(Front only) with Brembo brake rotor and
Endless cc-x brake pad
- 2 sets of rim (Buddy club K1 racing rims with Advan A032 tires 205/50/15)
(Usdm type R rims with winter tires 195/55/15) - Spoon nuts
Motor
- B16a Motor 170hp with jdm civic type R Valve Cover (red) and Spoon Carbon Plug Cover
- jdm civic type R ECU (tune up)
- jdm Alex Hard Engine Mount Bushings
- jdm Alex Engine damper
- jdm T1R Titanium header 4-2-1
- jdm J's Racing intake
- jdm Buddy club Racing spec 3 full Exhaust (also comes with a removable silencer)
- Dc2 type r stur Bar
Exterior
- jdm Recaro seats (red)
- jdm door panels (red)
- jdm floor mat (red)
- jdm Momo Dc2 steering wheel (red stitch)
- jdm spoon Titanium shift knob
- Defi Gauge BF meters water temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure, Link display and Link Control Unit
- Alpine Alarm System"
mosts of the parts are JDM used I guess

heavyD
07-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by snow_daniel

How about this??
- 2000 civic sir Gauge
- jdm side Mirrors
Endless cc-x brake pad
Motor
- B16a Motor 170hp with jdm civic type R Valve Cover (red) and Spoon Carbon Plug Cover
- jdm Alex Engine damper
- jdm J's Racing intake
- jdm Buddy club Racing spec 3 full Exhaust (also comes with a removable silencer)
- Dc2 type r stur Bar
Exterior
- jdm Recaro seats (red)
- jdm door panels (red)
- jdm floor mat (red)
- Defi Gauge BF meters water temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure, Link display and Link Control Unit
- Alpine Alarm System"

That list looks impressive but consider that the average person doesn't care about that stuff. You have find a buyer that covets all those jdm mods. JDM mods to some are a turnoff believe it or not.

Aleks
07-12-2006, 01:30 PM
There are some times that cars appreciate in value. I bought my old integra for 13.5K and sold it for 17K here on beyond. Just have to find the right buyer. Now, I spent a LOT more than 3.5K on it. In fact I lost quite a bit of money but I knew that going in.

SilverBoost
07-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Not all people bag the shit out of a modded car. I drive mine at the track and I can be pretty aggressive sometimes, but if/when I break something it's fixed right. Plus all my mods are done right.

Also, not everyone sells a car because it's on it's way out, or a potential problem has come up. Sometimes, it's simply because they want to move onto another project. However, these kinds of car are rare.... most cars that are for sale that are conisidered "modded" have a few simple mods like a fart can or an intake, maybe some springs.... what have you.... and most times these are the ones that when the shitbagging begins, the maintenance ends.

I've thought about selling mine, just because I want a change, but what I couldn't handle is seeing some young kid tearing the crap of it and not knowing how to fix it, or caring to.

I don't wash mine every other day like I used to, but it's in great shape (with the exception of my front bumper which has a few scrapes and is chipped to shit - welcome to calgary).

If someone does want a modified car, there is great value in finding one that already has some work done to it. But you have to know what to look for. You don't need to know who did the mods most times to know if it was done right. And when it comes to engine internals and stuff, well, you take your chances with that stuff because anything can happen even to respectable builders.

sputnik
07-12-2006, 01:35 PM

How about this??
- 2000 civic sir Gauge
- jdm side Mirrors
Endless cc-x brake pad
Motor
- jdm Alex Engine damper
- jdm J's Racing intake
- Dc2 type r stur Bar
Exterior
- jdm Recaro seats (red)
- jdm door panels (red)
- jdm floor mat (red)
- Alpine Alarm System"

A yellow car with a red interior? Are you Ronald McDonald?

Unknown303
07-12-2006, 01:36 PM

Yeah i understand that. Most people are getting civics as just a beater to drive around, while you have to be seriously into those cars to consider buying something that heavily modded.

lint
07-12-2006, 01:43 PM
As others have said, buying a stock car, you know what you're getting. Same specs and quality control that rolled out of the factory. If there's been a recall, you can find it, all in one place. Pretty easy. Once a car is modified, parts come from all over the place. You don't know whether the parts are good or not or just put there to look shiny. You'd have to do alot more work to research the mods, make sure they're done right, that there's nothing wrong with them, etc. Not all aftermarket parts are meant to work together, and some not with the stock parts, which can cause problems and increased wear and tear. It's just hard to know if it's been done right when it's a frankencar.

I prefer a stock car, because contrary to what many here seem to think, there are those of us who just want to find good reliable transportation, and who are either too poor/too old/not ricey/<insert reason here> enough to want a car with mods. I don't plan on keeping my cars forever, and I would rather not drop a ton of money on them just so that I have to return it all to stock in order to not lose my shirt when I sell it.

And if a car is heavily modded by someone else, all that will happen when you buy it and drive it is "Hey, isn't that so and so's car?", and you're just known as "the guy who bought so and so's car". Yay

QuasarCav
07-12-2006, 01:46 PM
I also check the post history of a user on Beyond to see what they have said about their car in the past.

I purchased my car from the Beyond forums. A bone stock 1993 Integra.

Xtrema
07-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by lint
As others have said, buying a stock car, you know what you're getting. Same specs and quality control that rolled out of the factory. If there's been a recall, you can find it, all in one place. Pretty easy. Once a car is modified, parts come from all over the place. You don't know whether the parts are good or not or just put there to look shiny. You'd have to do alot more work to research the mods, make sure they're done right, that there's nothing wrong with them, etc. Not all aftermarket parts are meant to work together, and some not with the stock parts, which can cause problems and increased wear and tear. It's just hard to know if it's been done right when it's a frankencar.

I prefer a stock car, because contrary to what many here seem to think, there are those of us who just want to find good reliable transportation, and who are either too poor/too old/not ricey/&lt;insert reason here&gt; enough to want a car with mods. I don't plan on keeping my cars forever, and I would rather not drop a ton of money on them just so that I have to return it all to stock in order to not lose my shirt when I sell it.

And if a car is heavily modded by someone else, all that will happen when you buy it and drive it is &quot;Hey, isn't that so and so's car?&quot;, and you're just known as &quot;the guy who bought so and so's car&quot;. Yay

exactly.

The minute you mod it, you lose out on 95% of the used car market. Hence low value.

Unknown303
07-12-2006, 01:48 PM
^^^^^
about Lint's post

Well said. I really must say i agree with everything you said there. Theres a lot mor research involve in making sure a custom vehicle is in good working order. While a stock one will have all the known problems and therefore easier to take care of.

95EagleAWD
07-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
Not all people bag the shit out of a modded car. I drive mine at the track and I can be pretty aggressive sometimes, but if/when I break something it's fixed right. Plus all my mods are done right.

Exactly.

My car is raced, tracked and driven with a little gusto. It gets revved to redline at least once a day. Usually more than that.

When and if something breaks, it'll be fixed properly. I've had no problems with the Acura, and I had a few with the Talon, but the work was always done right.

You can run the hell out of your car and still have it in great shape. Hell, I would consider myself cheated if I didn't get to plant the gas pedal at least once a day.

lint
07-12-2006, 02:18 PM
I also check the post history of a user on Beyond to see what they have said about their car in the past.

I purchased my car from the Beyond forums. A bone stock 1993 Integra.

Yep, I did that too, and cross referenced to another forum to find out some problems that the owner decided not to disclose. Great thing this intarweb that Al Gore invented

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 02:37 PM

Well, you are obviously not the same type of buyer im looking for then eh? You seem to think because that is what you prefer nobody is looking for something different than you, some people might want a modded car but don't want to spend $17000 on mods and don't want the bother of doing it up. That is who im looking for, and I would imagine they are looking for a car like mine.

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Cars don't appreciate in value, no matter what you put in it. You will get way more money for your car if you part it and put everything back to stock.

No one cares what mods have been done to a car when they are buying something. There are only a select few who do.

Would you rather buy a stock 94 Supra, or a modded one that has 500 hp and is on the verge of blowing up. A 500hp supra with a shitty tune is going to cost big bucks to fix.

How about the fact it has a different engine??? Any idea what SIR's are going for these days? Other than power features there is very little a stock SIR has over my car. And a stock SIR is slower too!! haha

QuasarCav
07-12-2006, 02:40 PM

Well, you are obviously not the same type of buyer im looking for then eh? You seem to think because that is what you prefer nobody is looking for something different than you, some people might want a modded car but don't want to spend $17000 on mods and don't want the bother of doing it up. That is who im looking for, and I would imagine they are looking for a car like mine.

And they represent 5% of the buying population.

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 02:42 PM

So for instance, if you buy a 300zx non-turbo and swap in a twin turbo engine, it doesn't mean anything right?

lint
07-12-2006, 02:42 PM

All he's saying is you might be waiting a long time. The majority of people:
1) do not surf car forums
2) have no idea what car mods do
3) have no idea what car mods are worth
4) just want a good reliable car. Period

If you happen to find someone with the same taste in mods as yourself and is looking to mod a car anyways, you may have a buyer. But the guy with the bone stock civic at a reasonable price has at least 10x the customer base to chose from. It's not that NOBODY is looking for what you're selling, it's that most of them are not.

And you seem to be a little defensive. Trying to force people into seeing the value of your car probably has the opposite effect.

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 02:43 PM

And they represent 5% of the buying population.

I know, it sucks.

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by lint

All he's saying is you might be waiting a long time. The majority of people:
1) do not surf car forums
2) have no idea what car mods do
3) have no idea what car mods are worth
4) just want a good reliable car. Period

If you happen to find someone with the same taste in mods as yourself and is looking to mod a car anyways, you may have a buyer. But the guy with the bone stock civic at a reasonable price has at least 10x the customer base to chose from. It's not that NOBODY is looking for what you're selling, it's that most of them are not.

And you seem to be a little defensive. Trying to force people into seeing the value of your car probably has the opposite effect.

I agree 100%

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 02:44 PM
I put it in the trader too :dunno:

Unknown303
07-12-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm sure someone who's looking for a SIR eater will come knocking sometime.

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I'm sure someone who's looking for a SIR eater will come knocking sometime.

haha, i hope so man:burnout:

T78Supra1
07-12-2006, 03:02 PM
My advice to you is never by a modded Civic, Prelude, integra, or any Japanese car under 30,000 (brand new) these car were generally owned by teenagers working at Dairy Queen buying shitty parts based on looks. These cars are usually modded by the owner who have no experience. They are usually never dino'd or tuned. They have miss matched parts....Don't Get suckered in by a lowered car with fancy rims.

And if you do decide to by a modded car.......always get all the original Parts.....

I would take the modded car to the neariest Tuner with a Dyno and Dyno the thing....You can Then See if the Car is Running Lean or Rich at high RPM's and if the Car has any mechanical problems......watch the feul maps and Curve of the Dyno.

aram1000
07-12-2006, 03:06 PM
I think purchasing a car that has already been modified has to be evaluated on a case by case basis, i don't think you can have a generalized rule of thumb. There are those who modify their car with quality parts, and have the work done correctly, and then there are those who put on cheap parts that may have not been installed properly. I agree that just because you have a modified car it is not going to add value to it, but at the same time it may not necessarily take away from its value. I agree with benyl, when it comes to selling, you are better off selling it stock then modded, but then again your mods may attract the right buyer. Again, there are those who prefer to buy something stock as a car that has already been modified may not be to their taste, making the mods worthless in the eye of the buyer. If you do not have much knowledge of cars to begin with, or don't know much about a particular manufacturer, then stick to stock, but if you do have lots of knowledge and are willing to put in the extra time to check a car out, then purchasing one already modified may not be bad either. Like I said before, I think you have to look at each case individually.

T78Supra1
07-12-2006, 03:14 PM
One thing i noticed is when a modded car rolls down the streets of calgary it gets labels as: Example Johns Car....

And you will forever own Johns Car

JspecB16
07-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by T78Supra1
My advice to you is never by a modded Civic, Prelude, integra, or any Japanese car under 30,000 (brand new) these car were generally owned by teenagers working at Dairy Queen buying shitty parts based on looks. These cars are usually modded by the owner who have no experience. They are usually never dino'd or tuned. They have miss matched parts....Don't Get suckered in by a lowered car with fancy rims.

And if you do decide to by a modded car.......always get all the original Parts.....

I would take the modded car to the neariest Tuner with a Dyno and Dyno the thing....You can Then See if the Car is Running Lean or Rich at high RPM's and if the Car has any mechanical problems......watch the feul maps and Curve of the Dyno.

Mine was owned by a 58 year old lady, who drove it to and from work and serviced at honda. Oh, and I don't even eat dairy queen let alone work there. No teenagers working at a fast food joint can afford to put $17000 into a car in under 2 years.

Fuji
07-12-2006, 03:31 PM

Not entirely true. A modified car I think can be worth more, but only by the virtue of functional modifications. Things like replaced strust springs or a new engine i can see as a bonus and would increase the value of the car, because they are new parts that are wear and tear items. bigger turbos etc etc not going to increase the value...

benyl
07-12-2006, 04:26 PM
I only agree if you are replacing the parts with OEM. You tell me how much you put into your car and what you could sell it for... haha

Or hell what I have into my car and what I could sell it for.

Jspec: Most people could care less that your car is faster than an SIR. Most people don't even know what an SIR is. Even if you swapped every single part that is different from your car to an SIR OEM piece, you car still wouldn't be an SIR. It would be an SIR wannabe.

Here is a question. To drop in your motor, did you have to modify your harness? If you did, how do I know you connected everything correctly?

As far as dropping a turbo motor into a NA 300ZX. I would much rather pay for a 300ZX turbo car that is stock over some hybrid. There are many missing parts in a car that has a swap that the higher model has.

I will give you a for instance.

If you took a Subaru Impreza RS and swapped in an STi motor, there are a whole slew of problems you will get. Just because it has an STi motor, doesn't make it an STi. The suspension is different, the transmission is WAY different, the wiring, the ECU.

The biggest trend now in older cars is not modified cars. It is bone stock, like it came out of the showroom. Hate to say it, but shows like Overhauling are blashphemy to the real car buff that likes cars from the 60s - 80s.

rc2002
07-12-2006, 04:48 PM

Or hell what I have into my car and what I could sell it for.

Your sunfire you mean? :rofl:

Even if you swapped every single part that is different from your car to an SIR OEM piece, you car still wouldn't be an SIR. It would be an SIR wannabe.

That's true - Vin# tells all. Moral of the story is: Buy the car you want in the first place.

WWJAI
07-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
Rule of thumb: Never buy a car from a young asian kid.

This is a very bias opinion. I could say the exact same thing about now buying from young white boys. Just because its an asian kid, doesn't mean they drive it hard. I worked hard to earn my car, and its not the greatest looking car/nor fastest car around but I take great pride in it and take care of it the best I can. I don't ever bag my car and I use it to get from point a to point b and i'm done for the day. Whenever there is a problem with it, I always get it fixed. But IMO, I would never buy a car from a young white boi.

Ben
07-12-2006, 05:38 PM

Mine was owned by a 58 year old lady, who drove it to and from work and serviced at honda. Oh, and I don't even eat dairy queen let alone work there. No teenagers working at a fast food joint can afford to put $17000 into a car in under 2 years.

No, they just get mommy and daddy to foot the bill so they stay in school. LOL

Not all, but a lot.

nonsane
07-13-2006, 07:24 AM
I usually don't go after a modded car if i am paying for things i don't really want in the first place. For the same amount of money i could likely do the mods that I want to.

Of course a pre-modified car is much easier, but it's hard to find what you want.

A lot of cars have things i don't care about like a momo shift knob, Type-R floormats, body kits, or if it has an aftermarket wing. Or sometimes i just don't like the new look of the car.

4doorj
07-13-2006, 08:07 AM
One thing i noticed is when a modded car rolls down the streets of calgary it gets labels as: Example Johns Car....

word

James
07-13-2006, 08:09 AM
I like how this thread turned into a for sale/discussion thread about Jspecb16's car, lol.....It is a prime example how selling a modded car and the problems with this though. Like some people said, Most people dont want to buy a modded car for many reasons, but there are advantages as well.

Just think if you REALLY like the car and its almost exactly what you would do to that car, like the Civic for example... i dont know who in thier right mind would be in the market for a Civic :D j/k ....but thats besides the point. If you were to spend the money on the car and the mods yourself you would be over $25,000, yet he is Selling it for half that!....for those who think that mods dont "add value" and cant effect the price are just plain retarded. Im not saying you can add up all your receipts and say thats what its worth, but this is by far a legitimate price.

On the Other hand, yes alot of modded cars are beat to shit, modded poorly with either low end parts or cheap inexperienced labourers and are not worth the asking price. But as a Consumer for a used Vehicle if you cant decipher the two kinds of modified cars, well then either you are just unaware or decided to overlook it. I bought a modified car when i was 17 and it was the dumbest thing i did, only because i didnt do my research and didnt know enough about the vehicle. It ended up costing me over $10,000 in repairs over the next 2 years...and it was all bad from the start. In my opinion you just need to do your research on the vehicle. Weather that be carfax, doing an inspection or inquiring about the work done on the car.

I now prefer to buy a car in stock condition and do the mods i enjoy myself, but if i were to find a car already modded that i liked im not saying a wouldnt take a serious look at it. The Little extra work taken to overlook the car will be far worth it when you can pick up a very nice modded car for a killer Deal.

benyl
07-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Your sunfire you mean? :rofl:

Dude, don't knock the sunfire man. It is fuxin P I M P.

It isn't totally stock either. It has some tasteful mods on the driver's side made by a pick up truck backing into it. Pulled out panels are the bomb!

SilverBoost
07-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Interesting Scenario:

Buyer: "I don't want to pay extra for mods"

Seller: "OK, I'll take off the CF Trunk and Hood and reduce the price $200."

Buyer: "That's not a big drop in price"

Seller: "Mods aren't worth that much on the car."

Buyer realizes how much it would cost to actually buy said CF trunk and Hood separately and says, "Nevermind, keep them on."

I see it happen.

Personally I think because it's more common to not increase a price too much because of mods that some people think you're going to give them away.

If you have a modded car and it's good work, and the modifications are sound and high quality parts, then wait for the right buyer. They are out there. If you can't wait, return it to stock and part out the modified stuff.

rc2002
07-13-2006, 01:02 PM

Dude, don't knock the sunfire man. It is fuxin P I M P.

It isn't totally stock either. It has some tasteful mods on the driver's side made by a pick up truck backing into it. Pulled out panels are the bomb!

That doesn't count as mods. It might if you put stickers over the damage though. Make sure it's a Roxy sticker. :D

Back to the original topic though. Another plus of buying a modified car is that you can part it out yourself and make some money. When I sold my Prelude, I got another $10000 more than if I didn't part it out. Lots of stuff I parted came with the car too.

At the end of the day, mods on the car aren't worth much. Mods off the car are worth a significant amount though. But to make it worthwhile, you have to A.) Have stock parts to replace them with and B.) Do the work yourself so you don't lose money on labour.

I've bought already modified cars, I've modified cars myself, I've paid people to modify my car, but in the end I've just became bitter and decided that it's best to stop modding. Anyone who has or is planning on buying a modified car should realize that once a car starts getting modified, it'll never be the same again. No matter how well the modifications are done, there are always quirks - it might be a small squeak or rattle somewhere, you might lose functionality of some comfort features - but it all adds up and soon you realize that your car is getting more and more worthless even though you spend more and more money on it.

SilverBoost
07-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Anyone who has or is planning on buying a modified car should realize that once a car starts getting modified, it'll never be the same again. No matter how well the modifications are done, there are always quirks - it might be a small squeak or rattle somewhere, you might lose functionality of some comfort features - but it all adds up and soon you realize that your car is getting more and more worthless even though you spend more and more money on it.

yeah but some people actually consider that part of the fun. My car is loud sometimes, not very practical for daily transportation and I certainly have to keep an eye on things more. But that's what it's all about. :)

rc2002
07-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Props to you for sticking it out - especially with your car as a daily driver. I never used to mind, but after a while I got sick of dealing with all the little problems that I introduced by modding. I'm very type 'a' and perceptive so the tiniest things would drive me crazy. Just little things like a sticky throttle, squeaky brakes, rattling exhaust are enough to make me sell my car.

frostyda9
07-13-2006, 07:18 PM

:werd: Modding your car is an extension of yourself, your style, and your taste. Unless you're a lemming, you're going to want to do what YOU want to the car, not live with someone elses ideas for the car.

Modding also somewhat guarantees you're going to drive your car harder than someone with a bone stock one would. Why else would you do it?

snow_daniel
07-13-2006, 07:23 PM

Hey Buddy(JspecB16), I got a question..will you buy a Modded car?
just wondering:dunno:
I am thinking should I buy it or not

M_K_3
07-13-2006, 07:29 PM
i dont buy them cuz its not mycar if u know what im sayin by that... like u didnt make it the way u wanted... they made it to fit them

snow_daniel
07-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by M_K_3
i dont buy them cuz its not mycar if u know what im sayin by that... like u didnt make it the way u wanted... they made it to fit them
How about the car modded only the engine or some performent stuff (ie: brake, spring...)but not about the bodykit stuff?

iceburns288
07-13-2006, 08:13 PM
I bought a modded car... kinda. I bought a car with rims on it. Why? I like the rims. I'm sellin em, yeah, but I like the rims, I like the car, so I bought it.

Normally, I won't buy a modded car- it's not my car, it's theirs. When it's stock, it's anyone's car, and I can mod it to make it mine.

JspecB16
07-13-2006, 08:24 PM

Hey Buddy(JspecB16), I got a question..will you buy a Modded car?
just wondering:dunno:
I am thinking should I buy it or not

If I were to go for another tuner type car, then yes. I'm glad I went through the process of doing my car up, its an experience I felt I needed to go through. I wouldn't want to do it again though, too expensive so if I wanted another modded car I would most likely buy a car already modded and save myself a bunch of cash.

But in this case, I'll get my bimmer instead:thumbsup:

JspecB16
07-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by M_K_3

True to an extent, but its not like I fabricated my own body kit.... it was someone elses design at some point.

snow_daniel
07-13-2006, 08:37 PM

If I were to go for another tuner type car, then yes. I'm glad I went through the process of doing my car up, its an experience I felt I needed to go through. I wouldn't want to do it again though, too expensive so if I wanted another modded car I would most likely buy a car already modded and save myself a bunch of cash.

But in this case, I'll get my bimmer instead:thumbsup:
lol, thanks..same as here...just had some fun from those experience :thumbsup:
But I don't like BM (don't ask why) :dunno: so I will stick with japanese car ...with some mod :P
good luck to sale your car and your bimmer:clap: