PDA

View Full Version : *Smartphones help (blackberry,treo,etc.)

Godfuader
07-12-2006, 02:28 PM
So, im in the market for an PDA/cell. Was going to get the Palm T|X but would be inconvenient to carry a cell and a pda. Figured one of the smart phones would be the best option.
Basically I would prefer organizer, cell, bluetooth, expandibility, wifi all wrapped into one. checking out the Motorola Q right now, anyone have it, opinions?

Blackberry
Treo
Moto Q
any others?

any recommendations?

TIA

CaptainReboot
07-12-2006, 03:02 PM
I have a blackberry and the phone quality is not the greatest. The push email on it is very good, but then again, we have a corporate BlackBerry Server. Depending on the model you get, the hang up button is very close to where your thumb would be if you are holding it for a phone call. I drop a lot of calls that way.

I've heard very good things about the Palm Treo, so I would check out that one and the Motorola Q.

I hate to admit it, but I am constantly on it checking email. I must say, after using one of these all in one devices, it would be really hard for me to go back to a regular cell phone.

BebeAphrodite
07-12-2006, 03:39 PM
I wouldnt get a treo.
I'd look at a blackberry or a Q.
Another fully loaded phone is the Audiovox 6700.
If I remember corectly, only the 6700 has wifi.

D. Dub
07-12-2006, 09:21 PM
My two bits is that the Blackberry's are the most solid and capable for the phone, email and organizer functions but lack all the gizmos doomahickeys and diddlewops that are on Windows based units.

Whereas the Windows based units do lots of things but are full of glitches and other little problems that make them less capable for phone and email functions.

shakalaka
07-12-2006, 09:36 PM
If you want all that you listed and don't care about the camera then you should get a Nokia E61.

Trust me, better than those in all ways, wifi is so good on those. Check it out on the web.

GoChris
07-12-2006, 10:49 PM
I have the UTStarcom 6700, its the only one with WiFi and I think its a good feature, ive used it more than using EVDO. theres so much free wireless around town.

the calendar, notes, syncing etc is all great. the volume isnt the loudest, but its better than my last phone so thats ok. if it gets quieter i'll just grab a headset.

unlike the Q you can actually EDIT and create documents instead of just view them.

Godfuader
07-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by BebeAphrodite
I wouldnt get a treo.
I'd look at a blackberry or a Q.
Another fully loaded phone is the Audiovox 6700.
If I remember corectly, only the 6700 has wifi.

Thanks! The audiovox 6700 was the one I was trying to figure out. I saw the Blackberry, Treo, Q, and 6700 on a poster on a New York subway but couldn't figure out what the 6700 was. Now, isn't the Audiovox like the Hyundai of cell phones. No one openly compliments them but it may genuinely be a quality brand.

Not many people have positive things to say about the Treo so I think I can drop that from the list (plus it doesn't have grafitti)

CaptainReboot/D.dub: Does the blackberry have expandibility? I know you can put navigation on there which was a big plus.

Any negatives on the Audiovox or Moto Q?

Godfuader
07-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
If you want all that you listed and don't care about the camera then you should get a Nokia E61.

Trust me, better than those in all ways, wifi is so good on those. Check it out on the web.

Pretty hot looking phone. Sucks about the cam or it would have been perfect, is that for sale in NA?

Blackberry is good, but everyone has one now. Q looks nice but does not have Wifi. 6700 and E61 seems like it has all of the above.
Where can I buy them from. I will be in the US in a couple weeks and have a US address too. I can get it shipped out there or buy it from a store. Any suggestions.

shakalaka
07-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

Pretty hot looking phone. Sucks about the cam or it would have been perfect, is that for sale in NA?

Blackberry is good, but everyone has one now. Q looks nice but does not have Wifi. 6700 and E61 seems like it has all of the above.
Where can I buy them from. I will be in the US in a couple weeks and have a US address too. I can get it shipped out there or buy it from a store. Any suggestions.

Well camera would have been good, but then again it's a PDA Phone right, and people that really do need those sorta phones don't bother about camera's too much.
E61 can be bought from any online vendor really, it's quite economical price wise as well. Around $500 CDN at the moment. Try www.omegacell.com they are from Edmonton, or www.easycell. ca they are from Toronto. www.mobilefly.com, pretty much tons out there. I have dealt with only www.omgeacell.com and www.plemix.com(US Based) no complains for the previous one, but for the latter, since they ship it from Hong Kong or something, there is GST or some sorta tax when it get's to you.

eblend
07-13-2006, 11:23 AM
what about an ipaq? I got a 6320 and has GSM phonewith sim, 1.3 megapixel camera, bluetooth, wifi. Its a little bigger since its a full size pda, but does all you want. I got one for sale by the way if intersted

D. Dub
07-13-2006, 11:29 AM
I had the UT Starcom/Audiovox 6700.

I went through 2 units I hated them.....crappy build quality/construction, lotsa glitches, bluetooth would turn off by itself, low volume, lotsa glitches, lotsa glitches, poor ergonomics, poorly lit screen, battery life was less than a workday,

did I mention lotsa glitches??

Godfuader
07-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
...E61 can be bought from any online vendor really, it's quite economical price wise as well. Around $500 CDN at the moment. ...
Thanks for the sources, leaning towards this one right now. You have used this one for a while? and how user friendly is the wifi and organizer

Originally posted by D. Dub
I had the UT Starcom/Audiovox 6700.

I went through 2 units I hated them.....crappy build quality/construction, lotsa glitches, bluetooth would turn off by itself, low volume, lotsa glitches, lotsa glitches, poor ergonomics, poorly lit screen, battery life was less than a workday,

did I mention lotsa glitches??

and found out there is no GSM version :thumbsdow

Originally posted by eblend
what about an ipaq? I got a 6320 and has GSM phonewith sim, 1.3 megapixel camera, bluetooth, wifi. Its a little bigger since its a full size pda, but does all you want. I got one for sale by the way if intersted

Will look into it.

what about the SE 900 PDA/Cell series or the samsung one?

accord885
07-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Blackberry 7130g from Rogers FTW.

I have one... and could never give it up!

shakalaka
07-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Well I haven't personally used it but friends have, and they said its the fastest wifi they've ever used and loads all kinds of pages no matter what.

SE P900, I have it lying upstairs in my closet, great PDA phone does lots of things. Touch screen and all that obviously, the browser is Browser WAP 2.0/xHTML, iMode. HTML. I personally never use internet on cell phones, so don't know how it would work, have used maybe once or twice and it was just fine. However if you are looking at the P900 then maybe you'd like the consider it's successor P910 additional features include a QWERTY keyboard and some minor cosmetic and functional differences here and there. Mind you, the sizes are little big. If you'd like, I don't mind showing you my P900, like you can check it out and stuff, I am not wanting to sell it or anything, just if you wanted to take a look. I am not too bothered about that.

My personal opinion if I was in the market for PDA would be the Nokia E61. Since we all know Nokia is one of the best and most experienced manufacturers out there, and there UI is quite easy to use and get used to. I have read and heard nothing but good things about the E61. Look it up on www.gsmarena.com or www.howardforums.com, if you want to research into it further. The size is obviously little bigger than normal phones, but it's only on the wider side not the height side!

D. Dub
07-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by accord885
Blackberry 7130g from Rogers FTW.

I have one... and could never give it up!

I have the 7130e and I agree. Best I've ever had.

CaptainReboot
07-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader

Thanks! The audiovox 6700 was the one I was trying to figure out. I saw the Blackberry, Treo, Q, and 6700 on a poster on a New York subway but couldn't figure out what the 6700 was. Now, isn't the Audiovox like the Hyundai of cell phones. No one openly compliments them but it may genuinely be a quality brand.

Not many people have positive things to say about the Treo so I think I can drop that from the list (plus it doesn't have grafitti)

CaptainReboot/D.dub: Does the blackberry have expandibility? I know you can put navigation on there which was a big plus.

Any negatives on the Audiovox or Moto Q?

What do you mean by expandability? The only thing we can really upgrade on it is the software. I'm not sure if any of the ones out on the market have expansion slots.

TurboMedic
07-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, since you've excluded Treo before anyone even had anything negative to say about it anything I say won't help you! I have (plus 2 friends and a couple relatives) a Treo, and would buy another in a heartbeat. Nobody said anything negative about one but yourself (which was the lack of grafitti pad), there just was no info posted here. The lack of grafitti pad isn't a big deal because of the keyboard. It still has full touchscreen, which the motorola Q and blackberry do not have! I found the blackberries to be cheap feeling,and have aweful screens. My Treo has a great camera, an amazing screen, and feels well built.

Godfuader
07-14-2006, 04:57 PM
^^ I like Palm. The Treo would be the ideally the #1 option for me. I love the Palm software and the interface is the best I have seen, hence me looking at the Palm T|X. If I could get the T|X with gsm, it would not even be a contest. I have just heard horror stories about the device crashing repeatedly including the employees at the rogers store, who actually put me off buying it in the first place.

TurboMedic
07-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Mine never crashes....I've also heard those stories....I think if you put alot of 3rd party freeware and stuff on it it will