PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Vehicle

gstq
07-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Hi there,

I'm selling my 92 Jetta over in the marketplace and I've got a guy who's interested in having it shipped to Calgary (I'm in Toronto). Neither of us know how a cross-country sale would go down, so we need some help. I assume there are shipping companies who ship them, but can you guys suggest any of the cheapest ones for a Toronto to Calgary shipment? Also, how do we sign the Bill of Sale, etc.?

Any help would be appriciated.

Regards,
Mike

rc2002
07-12-2006, 05:26 PM
I just shipped my CRX out via Searail. It got to Nova Scotia with good time and in great condition. You can also try Hansens Forwarding.

The shipping is the easy part. But how you guys actually work it out is your call. If you have family here or he has family over there, it would make it a lot easier.

For myself, I sent the buyer in the east all the pictures of the car (inside, outside, underneath). Then he sent me a certified check for the full amount. Once I deposited the check, I shipped the car with the Bill of Sale and signed registration in the glove box.

I had tons of references, and a good trader rating here on beyond which helped my sale. I also offered to get a dealership inspection for it, we didn't end up needing to go that route though.

gstq
07-12-2006, 05:31 PM
I don't have family outside of Toronto. I'm kind of on Beyond, so I'm not sure how I'd prove anything. I can show my Birth Certificate, Social Insurance, my Ontario-registered enterprise (http://Hewa.ca), or my highly regarded reputation as a web developer on SL (http://MikeHW.com) as some contributing factors to my trust. I hope that'll do. Anyways, which company do you recommend? And can I get a phone number or URL to their site?

Fcuk
07-12-2006, 05:34 PM
can anyone tell me how much it costed you to ship toronto to calgary please? thanks!

gstq
07-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Fcuk, are you the guy that called me up? I'm pretty sure the price is around $800-1000. However as I said, I'll knock $200 off the price if you need it shipped to help you out.

kdwebber
07-12-2006, 06:12 PM
You guys should look into a third party assist you with the sale (best case scenario a lawyer) You would have the lawyer hold the payment for the car until the car arrives to the seller upon which point the lawyer would release the seller the money. I think its called an in trust transaction or something like that. Might cost a little more money but will make both the seller and the buyer feel a lot safer.

gstq
07-12-2006, 06:19 PM
That wouldn't be my preferred route. That's basically an overpriced escrow service. If anything, I'd use Escrow.com. I'd prefer to pay the $40 for overnight FedEx shipping (for the cheque) and have the car gone the next day with a tracking number just so things are quick and smooth. I'll talk to the buy about ways to verify my legitimacy.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm getting a quote from Searail tommorow on the shipping. From the looks of it, it'll be around $900.

nismodrifter
07-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Shipping from Toronto to Calgary will cost your buyer $750 via Hansens.

www.lhf.com

Great company, drop the car off at their yard by Thursday and it's guaranteed to go out the next day.

gstq
07-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Shipping from Toronto to Calgary will cost your buyer $750 via Hansens.

www.lhf.com

Great company, drop the car off at their yard by Thursday and it's guaranteed to go out the next day.

ROFL, their number is: 1-888-420-8888.

This place is cheaper than Searail so I think I'll go with 'em. Thanks. :)

nismodrifter
07-12-2006, 07:05 PM
They do a great job. No scratches, decent tracking, takes about a week I think.

gstq
07-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Nevermind, I've decided to go with Searail. They seem more professional and have better options, although the ultimate descision is up to the buyer I guess. We'll work something out.

Thank you all for the suggestions, and this thread can now be closed.

gstq
07-13-2006, 07:38 AM
Wow, I just phoned up LHF and wow... That's all I have to say about their customer service.. just wow. The lady at Searail just pissed me off, but the lady at LHF was very nice and professional. :)

heavyD
07-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Do not use Searail! Check out the BBB as there are many complaints including mine. They broke the spoiler on my Eclipse and scratched the side of the car and wouldn't accept responsibility. Many other horror stories. The owner is a little weasel fuck from Vancouver. He started taunting me on the phone so I said I was going to pay him a vist & next thing I know the Vancouver police are phoning me. If they damage your car (chances are they will) your are screwed as they won't pay.

gstq
07-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Wow, thanks HeavyD. I decided to go with LHF though. The bitch on the phone at Searail was such a... bitch lol. I called LHF for a quote and the lady was so damn friendly and helpful. It instantly changed my mind. Customer service really goes a long way in business. ;)

But thanks for the heads up.. I was initially going to go with Searail. :thumbsdow :eek:

Sy_
07-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Here's what I did.

1. I mailed my bank draft to Hansen. (Where the car is located)
2. The owner drops off the car at hansens lot.
3. Hansen does inspection.
4. The keys and cheques get handed over.
5. Done.

aram1000
07-13-2006, 08:28 AM
this is a good thread, lots of good info as its looking like my next car is gonna be shipped, gstq, please post once the transaction is complete how good everything went

gstq
07-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Shit, I hate to kill the thread, but I've got 2 local guys interested in my Jetta. If they want it, they've got it, just to save me the BS.

tapout
07-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Fcuk
can anyone tell me how much it costed you to ship toronto to calgary please? thanks! 600$$ l hansens

gstq
07-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Nope. I called LHF and they said $1045 from Toronto to Calgary with Door-to-Door service ($150 for that service).

Sy_
07-13-2006, 09:34 AM
I paid $750ish in Febuary. Picked up at the Hansen yard tho.