PDA

View Full Version : Bowflex...

Tik-Tok
07-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Anyone own one? How are they, I know probably not great for building serious muscle, but for someone just looking to get a little muscle, and keep fit?

shtock99
07-12-2006, 08:16 PM
its the exact same as working out at a gym...depending on what you get you could get some serious muscle

Alex_FORD
07-12-2006, 11:05 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10 for training intensity, I tend to believe that the bowflex is more for a person that wants to put in a 5-8 effort. But, free weights and a partner are better for 7-10 effort.

Also, If money is an issue for you then don't spend it on a large system like the bowflex.

I think a cost conscious person should buy a starter set of steel plates, and 2-4 large plates(35-45lbs ea) plus a free weight bench that you are happy with. My free weight bench has an upper and lower pulley system that uses my steel plates.

If you have a steady cashflow, then make some regular trips to a public facility, too. Better yet, get a membership.

robpark
07-12-2006, 11:10 PM
I had both a Bowflex and a membership to a gym...membership gets used WAY more than the bowflex.... I find with having the machine at home, there are always so many distractions... By leaving to go to the gym you focus on working out. Not to mention, going out to the gym can be a social occasion and you might run into some ladies....

That and I find the Bowflex a pain in the ass as you have to set it up for each exercise...at the gym I just plunk myself down on the machine...

THough, I hear there is a bowflex where you don't have to do all the fiddling, but.... still....

Alex_FORD
07-12-2006, 11:20 PM
:werd: There's an energy in the room that most people can feed off of.

robpark
07-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Yeah, that and you can see how hard work and perseverance pays off... AND you can learn how to properly use the machines and use them in ways you hadn't thought of by observing others....

Eken9
07-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Alex_FORD

I think a cost conscious person should buy a starter set of steel plates, and 2-4 large plates(35-45lbs ea) plus a free weight bench that you are happy with. My free weight bench has an upper and lower pulley system that uses my steel plates.

Exactly. With a bar and a few plates you can do a ton of exercises.

Deadlift
Bench Press
curls using bar
close grip press for triceps
good mornings
military press
Squats
barbell shrugs
upright row
bent over barbell row
one arm row
reverse barbell curl
Standing Calf Raise
barbell triceps extension

And a ton more...

Alex_FORD
07-12-2006, 11:54 PM
that would be a good idea for a thread, lets compare how many free weight exercises can match up with a bowflex exercise.

ProjectR
07-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Alex_FORD
:werd: There's an energy in the room that most people can feed off of.

I think you're talking about sweat :barf: haha j/j. I've always wondered if it was worth it to buy the total gym, but I find that going to the gym itself gets me more motivated to actually do excercises.

DeeK
07-20-2006, 03:06 PM
I bought a bowflex not that long ago.

I love it. Hated going to the gym. as far as intensity goes, its just as intense if not more intense than free weights.

Weapon_R
07-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Bowflex is an incredible machine, but it's expensive and the advertising is misleading. The intensity is there, but if you don't have the motivation you won't do it. But then again, you won't go to the gym either without motivation.

The commercials state that you can own a bowflex for $20/month, but they fail to tell you that its at 28% interest. But there are bowflex's for all budgets, starting from $800 up to $3000.

DeeK
07-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Got mine for $1300 including all taxes and shipping. I dont need anything more than this machine... it does everything I need.

And its only 28% if its not paid off in full in the first year.
First 6 months is 2.4%, and next 6 months is 12.8%, and if its not paid off in that time its 28% on the amount owing until its paid off.

antoniobeyond
07-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by shtock99
its the exact same as working out at a gym...depending on what you get you could get some serious muscle

Not even remotely close.

As far as your original question, yes bowflex is good for somebody who is looking to moderately increase strength and tone up.

three.eighteen.
07-20-2006, 04:39 PM
has anyone actually seen results using a bowflex...like gained 20-30lbs or massive changes in definition?

pinoyhero
07-20-2006, 07:06 PM
I think they have em at Costco in the South right now if you wanna check one out....

Lt247
07-22-2006, 02:51 PM
I own a bowflex and use it on a regular basis.. along with free weights. the gym and a punching bag..

when i used to use just the free weights i was getting stronger, but i wasnt getting the definition. When i started using the bowflex, the definition came pretty quick. and that makes me happy

i Personally reccomend them,but accompanied with free weights and other bits of work out.

they are more there for definition, and they do provide that very well. for strength i would reccomend free weights. so have both.

bowflex! :thumbsup:

edit:

I should also add.
2 and 3 years ago, between those 2 years. i had 3 knee surgerys ( 2 ortho and 1 full constructive, i snapped/shred my miniscus, my ACL, PCL and something else)
and lost over 30lbs in muscle from.. not doing anything cause i was.. well... gimp

With the bowflex, which is pretty much all i used, i did my rehab on my knee, which is now full strength and im back to doing everything i used to. getting back into martial arts, i snowboard, play rugby and soccer.

Also with the bowflex and other weights, i have gained back my weight and muscle mass, and a little bit more.

just thought id add in a personal real world experience.. it does work. just stick with it ^-^

Tik-Tok
05-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Forgot I made this thread... thanks for all your input (still haven't boughten one as I still haven't finished my basement, lol, 2 years and running :nut: )

5hift
05-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Lt247
when i used to use just the free weights i was getting stronger, but i wasnt getting the definition. When i started using the bowflex, the definition came pretty quick. and that makes me happy

they are more there for definition, and they do provide that very well. for strength i would reccomend free weights. so have both.

Definition is determined by how low your body fat% is, not whether you lift free weights or with some gimmicy machine.

If the bowflex was half as good as some people seem to think, dont you think it would have shown up in a gym or two by now?

Darkane
05-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

Definition is determined by how low your body fat% is, not whether you lift free weights or with some gimmicy machine.

If the bowflex was half as good as some people seem to think, dont you think it would have shown up in a gym or two by now?

Well said. Number one excersize for overall body mass/strength and well being is the Deadlift. Can't do that on a bowflex. Only reason people think bowflex actually works is because it keeps your heart rate going throughout the whole routine, Which in turn sheds body fat. In strength based routines you have to rest as much as 3-5minutes between sets for maximum efficiency.

Bowflex is good for some to "Tone up" lol