PDA

View Full Version : Question on what you'd do if this happened to you.

vincent-h
07-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Alright here's what happened i won't name the company to protect them and since they are helping in making the issue correct. Just wondering what you'd do if you were in my situation. Also note this isn't just a small lip it covers at least half my bumper

Here's the story i'll try to keep it as short as possible with as more relevent information as possible.

------------ LAZY READ VERSION -----------

-new lip
-went to get it wrapped in protective film
-they messed up, pulled film and peeled paint with it
-they got it repainted and rewrapped
-went to inspect it paint felt gritty though the color looked fine
-afraid of yellowing cuz of fresh paint and peeling in future if film needs to be removed.

------------ Detailed version ---------------

anyways i got my fiberglass front lip painted about 2 months ago. Then 4 weeks after(waited for it to cure) and then brought it to a shop to get it wrapped in 3m.

now after i got it wrapped there was a bit of bubbled form under the 3m and they said it'd clear up over the next few days. so i left the lip there as i couldn't pick it up yet as i wanted some other spots of it covered as well. Now the next week passes and I call and they told me that they put it in the sun to cure but it got worse and when they peeled it off to redo it but it tore the paint with it! how much paint it tore off i'm not sure as pretty much the whole lip was covered and the bubble was smack in the middle of the 3m.

From this point i'm a bit worried but the guy said he'd get it off to be painted at their expense of course so no biggie i'm satisfied their rectifying their mistake. Now the other day I dropped by to because they had it done painted and re-wrapped so i came by to make sure it got all the spots i wanted. Now when i inspected it the color and what not looked extremely up to par and matched well with parts of the lip i know didn't lose paint cuz it wasn't covered. but when i felt some spots that weren't covered the paint job felt very gritty and not smooth like a fresh quality paint job would have and i know that the initial paint job had it. Also i'm worried cuz i heard putting protective film over fresh paint can cause it to yellow and if it needs to be peeled off int he future it'll definitely peel the paint with it. Just wondering what you all would do in this situation?

Of course i will ask them which parts got peeled and if they'll guarantee their work. They also said the film should last at least 5-8 years no yellowing so i suppose i'd tell them if it peeled the paint when they remove it will they repair it. but more suggestions on what i should do about this situation etc etc.

If i missed anything or a detail your not sure of please let me know i'll fill it in.

Thanks

Vincent