PDA

View Full Version : Design and Drafting Tech @ SAIT

RawB8figure
07-13-2006, 10:20 AM
anyone here completed this program.

What kind of posistions are you qualified for with this program.

Was this program worth it, in your opinion.

Thanks

HillBilly
07-13-2006, 10:27 AM
The market is starving for EDDT's right now.

2 years and your set. Go do it. I'll hire you.

88CRX
07-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Do a quick search… there was a big thread floating around maybe a month or so ago

kkoz
07-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Finished EDDT a few years ago, if its still the same your last simester choose oil & gas. structural and civil won't get you as good a paying job as choosing oil & gas. On that note most employers don't care wich one you toke as long as you got good grades

nj2Type-S
07-13-2006, 12:33 PM
i finished EDDT last semester and now i'm working for Bantrel. I got hired 2 weeks before i graduated so the market's really good right now. like kkoz said, don't go structural or civil if you like $ :D ...definitely get into piping. you can get anywhere from $17 - $23/hr start. you start off as a Junior Piping Draftsperson if you were to choose the piping option.

RawB8figure
07-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Ok so starting is not so great but what is the potential like for this type of posistion. thanks

nj2Type-S
07-13-2006, 04:06 PM
dood, you SHOULD get at least $20/hr start w/ most of the companies...i'd say that's a pretty good start for sitting on your ass and clicking away on the mouse....lol...

once you've got enough experience, you could try to go to desinging....that's where the $$$ is hehe..sorry im not much help, i just started like 2 1/2 months ago.

HillBilly
07-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
dood, you SHOULD get at least $20/hr start w/ most of the companies...i'd say that's a pretty good start for sitting on your ass and clicking away on the mouse....lol...

I agree.... since right out of school, your pretty much useless for about a year anyway.

You think coming out of school that you can just jump right into it and know what your doing..
Well reality is you don't know shit. Your degree or diploma just got you in the door. now its time to really learn the job.

ApexDrift
07-15-2006, 05:19 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128750

upon further research, i know acad univercity out east and another univercity in victoria (dont have the name on hand) will take the majority of the classes and credit them but you have to take make up courses during the spring and summer anywhere between 5-8 classes depending which discipline you choose to take... then another 2 years and there you go your not a lowly tech anymore you are a full fledged engineer and you get the ring, so you can point at things with your picky and tell the world "im a engineer see my ring"

edit: but the pay just from 40-90 was totally wrong if there is a jump in pay it would be 40-55 maybe 60 thousand a year with 1-2 years drafting experiance

its a great chance to stare at a screen to make your eyes bleed

BlackArcher101
07-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by ApexDrift
so you can point at things with your picky and tell the world "im a engineer see my ring

LOL... go ahead and try that. If you get sued, don't say I didn't give you warning.

A person is NOT an engineer until they get the P.Eng. designation either from APEGGA or other provincial assoc. Until then, that ring means they graduated, that's all.

JordanEG6
07-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

LOL... go ahead and try that. If you get sued, don't say I didn't give you warning.

A person is NOT an engineer until they get the P.Eng. designation either from APEGGA or other provincial assoc. Until then, that ring means they graduated, that's all.

:werd: theres a certain level of experience u must attain before applying for a P. Eng and get your stamp. and EDDT is ONLY design and I dont think you can get the ring or the stamp with that program because i highly doubt its transferable to an actual engineering under grad program. If that was the case, there would be alot more P Eng. now than ever.

But being a draftsman is a good idea nowadays in the oil & gas industry. before i left my previous company they were short on draftsmen. as goes with alot of engineering firms nowadays as well.

ApexDrift
07-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

EDDT is ONLY design and I dont think you can get the ring or the stamp with that program because i highly doubt its transferable to an actual engineering under grad program.

ye you dont get the ring from EDDT but it is transferable to a under grad program. my cousin's husbend did it. well thats what i was lead to understand...:dunno:

JordanEG6
07-17-2006, 08:15 PM

ye you dont get the ring from EDDT but it is transferable to a under grad program. my cousin's husbend did it. well thats what i was lead to understand...:dunno:

that i didnt know. as far as i knew, it was only EET, CET, PET, CCT and a few others were trasferable. maybe your cousins husband took extra courses. :dunno:

even i, in EET couldnt transfer straight up to an undergrad program. im actually in victoria where it IS transerable to the undergrad degree program at UVic, but it requires a 6 month bridge program to complete the transfer to UVic. So far its UVic and Waterloo that do transfers if your from SAIT if your in electrical, electronics, petroleum, mech, computer, software or civil

BlackArcher101
07-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

that i didnt know. as far as i knew, it was only EET, CET, PET, CCT and a few others were trasferable. maybe your cousins husband took extra courses. :dunno:

even i, in EET couldnt transfer straight up to an undergrad program. im actually in victoria where it IS transerable to the undergrad degree program at UVic, but it requires a 6 month bridge program to complete the transfer to UVic. So far its UVic and Waterloo that do transfers if your from SAIT if your in electrical, electronics, petroleum, mech, computer, software or civil

Add to that Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, ON. They'll give you 2 years credit with a 2 month summer bridging program.

JordanEG6
07-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

Add to that Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, ON. They'll give you 2 years credit with a 2 month summer bridging program.

oh yeah, my bad, it wasnt waterloo it was thunder bay. i thought lakehead was in waterloo

milhouse
07-18-2006, 03:22 PM
that 2 months of transfer for lakehead is super hard. I mean some people that had high 80's or even 90's that went into that summmer course failed.

They compress a full year of calculus and thermodynamics and 2 more courses into 2 months.

a.z13
07-18-2006, 04:35 PM
ye you dont get the ring from EDDT but it is transferable to a under grad program. my cousin's husbend did it. well thats what i was lead to understand...

You don't get an Engg ring however you do get a ring for completing the program. My dad is an Engg Tech (draftsman, however he doesn't physically do it anymore because he partially owns a Engg firm) and he graduated from NAIT and he has a small silver ring he wears on his pinky. Its made of steel and it represents this bridge that collapsed and they used all the scrap metals for these rings. A reminder whats at stake i supose.

dezinr
07-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by a.z13
ye you dont get the ring from EDDT but it is transferable to a under grad program. my cousin's husbend did it. well thats what i was lead to understand...

You don't get an Engg ring however you do get a ring for completing the program. My dad is an Engg Tech (draftsman, however he doesn't physically do it anymore because he partially owns a Engg firm) and he graduated from NAIT and he has a small silver ring he wears on his pinky. Its made of steel and it represents this bridge that collapsed and they used all the scrap metals for these rings. A reminder whats at stake i supose.

Generally though your professional ring goes on the pinky of your dominant hand. I get asked all the time if I am an ENG becuase I wear my Architecture ring on the pinky of my dominant hand.

JordanEG6
07-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by milhouse
that 2 months of transfer for lakehead is super hard. I mean some people that had high 80's or even 90's that went into that summmer course failed.

They compress a full year of calculus and thermodynamics and 2 more courses into 2 months.

it is hard from what i hear...down here in victoria isnt as easy either...im actually doing 2 years worth (14 courses) of university courses in 22 weeks (by christmas holidays) to complete the bridge to UVic. which i think is ridiculous.

BlackArcher101
07-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by milhouse

Been there done that. It's horrible there.

Howl
07-18-2006, 06:26 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128750

upon further research, i know acad univercity out east and another univercity in victoria (dont have the name on hand) will take the majority of the classes and credit them but you have to take make up courses during the spring and summer anywhere between 5-8 classes depending which discipline you choose to take... then another 2 years and there you go your not a lowly tech anymore you are a full fledged engineer and you get the ring, so you can point at things with your picky and tell the world "im a engineer see my ring"

edit: but the pay just from 40-90 was totally wrong if there is a jump in pay it would be 40-55 maybe 60 thousand a year with 1-2 years drafting experiance

its a great chance to stare at a screen to make your eyes bleed

I'm an engineer see my ring? No wonder so many engineers get a bad rep for acting like know it alls