PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Nokia 8801!

shakalaka
07-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know of any place in Calgary that flashes the Nokia 8801 with the latest firmware?

I need to find a place like ASAP, honestly like right away pretty much. I am leaving the country on the 18th, so deffinatley before that.

If any of your friend does it locally? Please tell me about that too, if you got the price i.e. how much it would cost, it would be great!

Thanks Guys! Looking forward to get some addresses!
Thanks.

/////AMG
07-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Why not just do it back in the UK. They have way more shops that will do it than Calgary does (or even has).

shakalaka
07-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
Why not just do it back in the UK. They have way more shops that will do it than Calgary does (or even has).

I didn't buy it from the UK, I got here in Canada man, and UK will have different firmware and stuff, plus the city I am in is really small and stuff, I even doubt they will have those services there.

/////AMG
07-13-2006, 02:05 PM
I don't think the firmware will be different, or that much. Oh well, good luck finding a shop in Calgary! If you do, post the details here.

shakalaka
07-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Alright will do! I really hope someone on here knows of a place or something, cauz I really want a 100% functional 8801. I have other phones, but I wanna use this. But with my stroke of luck lately, I wouldn't keep high hopes! :(

HyperZell
07-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Alright will do! I really hope someone on here knows of a place or something, cauz I really want a 100% functional 8801. I have other phones, but I wanna use this. But with my stroke of luck lately, I wouldn't keep high hopes! :(

Is this the 8801 that you got scammed with? Whatever happened to that?

shakalaka
07-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Is this the 8801 that you got scammed with? Whatever happened to that?

Yea that's it...well nothing happened. I got scammed and I am stuck with it and need to get it fixed!

HyperZell
07-13-2006, 06:06 PM

Yea that's it...well nothing happened. I got scammed and I am stuck with it and need to get it fixed!

:(

shakalaka
07-14-2006, 03:26 PM
^I know....man!
I called the Rogers in TD Square they said no, and then I am trying Fido in Marlborough Mall, and they are not answering, so I am gonna drive down there now. This freaking blows.

shakalaka
07-15-2006, 03:56 AM
Anyone please???! I am running out of time, I am in the country till tuesday! :(

SLK55
07-15-2006, 06:46 PM
try fido chinook, i heard they have the hardware for it.

shakalaka
07-16-2006, 02:42 AM
I called Fido in Marlborough like 100 times and same stupid answeing machine. I will try calling chinook one tom. morning, I guess. Let's see what happens.

KuruptEX
07-16-2006, 02:44 AM
rogers in sunridge i heard would do it for 200
buddy told me

shakalaka
07-16-2006, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by KuruptEX
rogers in sunridge i heard would do it for 200
buddy told me

Ohhh wow...! $200...you gotta be shittin me!?
Well I'd still get it, if I know that for 100% sure it would fix the problem, but I dont even know that.

The Rogers in TD just said, we don't carry the phone try calling Fido.

I guess I will give the Rogers in Sunridge a call tom. as well.

SLK55
07-16-2006, 03:24 AM

Ohhh wow...! $200...you gotta be shittin me!?
Well I'd still get it, if I know that for 100% sure it would fix the problem, but I dont even know that.

The Rogers in TD just said, we don't carry the phone try calling Fido.

I guess I will give the Rogers in Sunridge a call tom. as well.

Youre crazy to pay $200 for a stupid flash when youre better off just selling that one and putting that $200 for a brand new one.

Also, FIDO in marlbourough are ran by a bunch of toads, they never pick up.

shakalaka
07-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by SLK55

Youre crazy to pay $200 for a stupid flash when youre better off just selling that one and putting that $200 for a brand new one.

Also, FIDO in marlbourough are ran by a bunch of toads, they never pick up.

It's not really worth all the time and effort man. I won't even know how much to sell this one for and stuff. Plus I doubt after selling this and adding $200 on top I'd be able to get a brand new one for $900 or whatever they are going for.

Weapon_R
07-16-2006, 01:28 PM
You can get a brand new one for around 650-700, so try selling that one to someone who can flash it (and a lot can, if you weren't stuck for time you could have sent it to someone).

Take the money, add another 200 and buy a new one.

shakalaka
07-16-2006, 01:31 PM
^^Yea I guess I can look into that, but for that I'd need some time as well. I might be able to come back after a month, after giving my exams, so I guess I can follow up on this then. I can look into this in Scotland as well, maybe they'll be able to work something out.

BTW KuruptEX just got off the phone, and Rogers in Sunridge don't do it. I don't know who told you that they will for $200. But the guy just told me straight up, we don't carry that phone so we don't deal with it.

Weapon_R
07-16-2006, 01:34 PM
You can get it flashed and then have someone send it up for ya.

shakalaka
07-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You can get it flashed and then have someone send it up for ya.

Well I couldn't find anyone local so far who does it. Because there is basically no hardware available for this phone like it is for others. So normal people who just do these things for fun or even small business won't have it.

Some people that CAN do it are in Toronto and stuff, I got talking with them via Howardforums.com. But none of them are ready to ship to Scotland or anything at all, even if I paid for the shipping. Plus if I paid for the shipping both ways and to Scotland, it is quite a lot. I would prolly end up spending 100+ again.

And I keep trying calling Fido in Chinook, and those fuckers won't answer the damn phone either. People in Marlborough, I've been trying for 3 fucking days. Swear to god, these fuckers need to answer their damn phones.

SLK55
07-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Shaka, I can get you a brand new one for $650, locked to fido. I have it on order from FIDO and should be here this upcoming week.

Just too bad youre leaving this week, damn.:dunno:

SLK55
07-16-2006, 01:41 PM

And I keep trying calling Fido in Chinook, and those fuckers won't answer the damn phone either. People in Marlborough, I've been trying for 3 fucking days. Swear to god, these fuckers need to answer their damn phones.

Bwahaha sorry but thats fido for you. The last time I was in the Chinook store, I was waiting for a friend to pay his bill. The other dude just stood there picking his nose, while the phone was going off. :thumbsdow

Weapon_R
07-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Shakalaka, ship it to the guys in TO and have them fix it and send it back to your friends/family. When it arrives, have them ship it out to you in Scotland. It shouldn't cost more than $100 to do all of this. I had a similar problem with my L6, no one in Calgary could unlock it so I shipped it to the South and had them do it and return it...it's a little risky but there are tons of honest people that will do it for you.

shakalaka
07-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Shaka, I can get you a brand new one for $650, locked to fido. I have it on order from FIDO and should be here this upcoming week.

Just too bad youre leaving this week, damn.:dunno:

Yea that wouldn't really work. Plus I will have to find a buyer for this phone. I don't even know who would want it like this and for how much.

I hate that fucker who scammed me, hope he gets his dick chopped off or something. Fuck! Freaking lowlife's need to die, honestly!

shakalaka
07-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Shakalaka, ship it to the guys in TO and have them fix it and send it back to your friends/family. When it arrives, have them ship it out to you in Scotland. It shouldn't cost more than $100 to do all of this. I had a similar problem with my L6, no one in Calgary could unlock it so I shipped it to the South and had them do it and return it...it's a little risky but there are tons of honest people that will do it for you.

Yea I was thinking about that too actually. The only adverstiser I could find on howardforums was bongowirelss or something who made a post saying that they have the latest Nokia software out. I pm'ed them like a week ago or something and they never replied. Couple of regular members pm'ed me saying that they can do it, but they were all noobs and no feedbacks or anything. So I don't know, I don't wanna send it to any of them.

SLK55
07-16-2006, 01:47 PM

Yea that wouldn't really work. Plus I will have to find a buyer for this phone. I don't even know who would want it like this and for how much.

I hate that fucker who scammed me, hope he gets his dick chopped off or something. Fuck! Freaking lowlife's need to die, honestly!

Now you know how I feel. How you and I both got scammed on the same phone, literally the exact same fashion is freaky.
I thankfully was able to sell mine off for exactly what I paid (got big time lucky), but I was able to find someone who didnt need a perfect condition one. There are ones out there trust me, sell yours for $450.

And yes these low lifes deserve to be decapitated.

Weapon_R
07-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Bongo is very reliable, call them rather than emailing them. They are pricey, but they do good work and they are honest.

gpomp
07-16-2006, 01:50 PM
bongo did my 8801. why don't you call them if you're in such a hurry?

SLK55
07-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
bongo did my 8801. why don't you call them if you're in such a hurry?

What was the turnaround time on yours? Do you have 3.94 now?

gpomp
07-16-2006, 02:00 PM
i don't have an 8801 anymore, i sold it last year. all i got done was an unlock, i don't think there were firmware upgrades at the time. takes them about a day or two to do it, mainly because they're too lazy to make it to the post office in time before the pick up.

E36M3
07-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Do you guys know how to adjust the handset volume on the 8801? I am a complete idiot and can't figure it out.

shakalaka
07-16-2006, 05:37 PM

What was the turnaround time on yours? Do you have 3.94 now?

My phone right now has the 3.94 on it. The latest one out is 4.10. Now that I think about it, it might not even be the firmware problem. Might be something totally different. I could never find Bongo's phone number, maybe I didn't look closely enough. But either way now for sure I won't be able to get this done on time, we know that.

Got email back from Fido and they said they CAN do upgrades on softwares if the phone is purchased from Fido. I will hit up a kiosk or shop anyways tom. and see what they have to say.

SLK55
07-16-2006, 06:19 PM

My phone right now has the 3.94 on it. The latest one out is 4.10. Now that I think about it, it might not even be the firmware problem. Might be something totally different. I could never find Bongo's phone number, maybe I didn't look closely enough. But either way now for sure I won't be able to get this done on time, we know that.

Got email back from Fido and they said they CAN do upgrades on softwares if the phone is purchased from Fido. I will hit up a kiosk or shop anyways tom. and see what they have to say.

It has 3.94 now? Oh I didnt know that, sorry to break it to you but it is NOT a f/w issue.

shakalaka
07-16-2006, 06:27 PM

It has 3.94 now? Oh I didnt know that, sorry to break it to you but it is NOT a f/w issue.

Yea well that's what I am worried about as well. As 3.94 was the latest one just before the 4.10 came out and apparently it was supposed to stop the restarting issue.

KuruptEX
07-16-2006, 06:42 PM
shakalaka oh sorry then man but yea someone told
me that they could but sorry bout that man:dunno:

SLK55
07-16-2006, 07:51 PM
the only dude who can really tell you how to fix it or how it was caused is the seller.

theres a guy on red flag deals looking for one, even if its beat up. PM him, his name is Hustler.

e_luded
07-18-2006, 09:57 AM
try to use omegacell.com they're in Edmonton if you get this in time

shakalaka
07-18-2006, 10:03 AM
^Yea I know Martin, he was the first person I contacted. Even they don't mod/repair these phone's yet.

Either way I found a guy in Toronto, he has some connections with Nokia and he is gonna try and get me a brand new one since technically it's still underwarranty. If he is unable to do so i.e. get me a brand new one, he can deffinately fix this one..so I should be alright, I guess! I have already shipped the phone to him as of yesterday. I won't be here, but he can ship it to me in Scotland, he said.

Thanks everyone anyways.