PDA

View Full Version : Jaywalking Pedestrian Hit in Chinatown

Pages : [1] 2

sputnik
07-13-2006, 01:24 PM
I was walking to Thi Thi at 11:30 for lunch with some co-workers and while walking down 3rd Ave we heard some tires squealing. We turn around to see an elderly chinese person on the ground not moving in front of a stopped car far from any marked crosswalk or intersection. We were well past the incident at the time and chose not to stick around and gawk so we left the scene.

Police quickly blocked off the street and 2 ambulances were called. It is a pretty good chance that the person was killed in the accident. Pretty sad stuff.

Keep a heads up when driving through Chinatown. My wife and I drive down 3rd after work everyday and we always see tons of people wandering into the middle of the street.

topmade
07-13-2006, 01:27 PM
very sad indeed as most of the elderly people who are down there all the time, just have no idea of the traffic system. Call it what you want, you still have to be very careful driving there.

Altezza
07-13-2006, 01:40 PM
http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2006/07/release.20060713_132537_19268_0

-----------------------------------------------------------------
CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE
-----------------------------------------------------------------

This morning at 11:35 a.m. Calgary Paramedics responded to
3rd Avenue and Centre Street S.E. for reports of a pedestrian
/ vehicle collision.

When Paramedics arrived, they learned that an 83 year old
female pedestrian had suffered critical, but non-life
threatening injuries as a result of a collision with a
vehicle.

Paramedics on scene quickly provided advanced life support
care and rapid transport to Foothills Hospital for further
treatment.

The Calgary Police Service is investigating the details
surrounding this incident.

Rav4Guy
07-13-2006, 01:43 PM
AZN XING

xcelr8
07-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by topmade
very sad indeed as most of the elderly people who are down there all the time, just have no idea of the traffic system. Call it what you want, you still have to be very careful driving there.

they do know the traffic system
its just inconvenient for them to walk around to get to the place across the street

Rav4Guy
07-13-2006, 01:47 PM
The traffic system in China Town is that people have right away and can cross anywhere... anytime.

MudCrawler
07-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy
The traffic system in China Town is that people have right away and can cross anywhere... anytime.

Well id say its about time they learn our culture. Its no excuse to put all of us other drivers in danger because they chose to move to the other side of the planet.

Weapon_R
07-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Pedestrians in Chinatown have zero regard for traffic laws, it was only a matter of time before this happened and its gonna keep happening til they learn to watch out for cars.

heavyD
07-13-2006, 02:01 PM

Hence a trip to the hospital with life threatening injuries. Pedestrians have just as much responsibility as drivers when crossing streets.

Stoppie
07-13-2006, 02:02 PM
thats what i was gonna say...
it was bound to happen sometime

isn't there a law trying to be passed right now changing it from that pedistrians at cross walks don't have the right of way, cause alot of times im so close to the cross walk and they just jump right out there, leaving me no time to stop. It's just as bad as crosswalking. I don't care if u have the right of way, be sensible and use common sense.

Sprinter
07-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Good to know that the old woman is alive.

Hopefully this is a good example of driving with care especially around Chinatown. I remember driving there once and there was this guy walking on the sidewalk, then he all of a sudden just bolts across me, causing my tires to screech. Funny thing is the guy got pissed at me, and kept walking down the other side of the road as if nothing happened :dunno:

infected
07-13-2006, 02:08 PM
There's always people all along the streets, you shouldn't be going that fast leaving you no time to stop for someone to cross the road anyways.

l8braker
07-13-2006, 02:09 PM

and able to park anywhere at anytime. sidewalks, in the road, handi zones, no parking lanes etc, etc.

rc2002
07-13-2006, 02:11 PM
That's the worst intersection in Calgary for J-walkers. Pedestrians always hold up that intersection. I'm surprised there's not more accidents there.

DeeK
07-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Not just in chinatown.. I almost smoked a lady the other day because she shot out from behind a bus and crossed the road (she was in a crosswalk, but did not stop to check for traffic). I was told directly from an officer "If you are going to hit something, just hit it, 9 times out of 10 major swerving or braking will just result in another accident anyways".

I just kept going and missed her by inches. Then got the bird and all the fun stuff from her because apparently I was at fault. Keep in mind this was in a 70 zone and I was maybe 6-8 feet from the crosswalk when she darted out.

I dunno about anyone else, but when I was growing up it was taught that you WAIT FOR TRAFFIC TO STOP BEFORE CROSSING!

I have little regard for people that do not follow that SIMPLE rule.

slickk
07-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Old Lady - 65 points ! +10 Bonus points if she had a walker. :rofl:

heavyD
07-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by DeeK
I dunno about anyone else, but when I was growing up it was taught that you WAIT FOR TRAFFIC TO STOP BEFORE CROSSING!

I have noticed that pedestrians are well versed in the fact that they have the right of way at a crosswalk but not so much when it comes to "looking both ways before crossing". It's like they think there is an invisible force field protecting them from drivers not paying attention. There isn't a force field and there are drivers that don't pay attention so pedestrians like I said before need to assume more responsibility.

sh0ko
07-13-2006, 02:49 PM
hahaha too bad this wasnt asia.. u get hit by car.. thats kinda too shitty for u haha ppl dont relaly have a right of way there when it comes to cars haha but that sucks. i wonder what that woman is gonna get charged with if any

QuasarCav
07-13-2006, 03:01 PM
I almost hit the fisherman, even with his neon vest on.:(

SilverBoost
07-13-2006, 03:07 PM
If you hit a jaywalker you should be able to sue them for damages. At least the adults that should know better. Why should my insurance rates go up because some idiot took a gamble and lost. (And yes before someone gets into all the fine print and why we have insurance and all that crap, I'm just making a point)

And then you have the crosswalks in Calgary that if I didn't know any better would say that they are actually there to curb the population growth. I've never seen so many crosswalks on blind corners, on the crest of hills and so poorly lit in all my life.

Combine that with the affore mentioned lack of common sense that most people have when using them, I can't believe there aren't many people killed every day in calgary... and that's not even including the jaywalkers.

A lot of city planners seem to suffer from 'Head Up Ass Syndrome'.

And I should say, I'm not heartless, and I hope that woman recovers quickly, but Darwinism works 24/7 so people need to think more about avoiding it.

Rav4Guy
07-13-2006, 03:18 PM
I agree that people in Chinatown should watch out for traffic... but still.. don't rip through Chinatown.

arian_ma
07-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
I've never seen so many crosswalks on blind corners, on the crest of hills and so poorly lit in all my life.

:werd: man I just slow down every time I see a crosswalk anywhere because I am so scared of people coming out of nowhere. :(

boi-alien
07-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by infected
There's always people all along the streets, you shouldn't be going that fast leaving you no time to stop for someone to cross the road anyways.

I question why the onus should be placed only on the drivers?

It's a hell of a lot easier to stop a walking pedestrian than a moving vehicle, no matter what the speeds are.

Further to this, shouldn't pedestrians look both ways before crossing the street? ESPECIALLY if they're jaywalking. It's bad enough that pedestrians don't look when the cross at cross walks, now drivers need to be looking out for jackasses popping out behind parked buses, cube vans, etc...

The onus should be 50/50, pedestrians should NOT automatically have right of way. Bottom line, right of way is not going to save your life.

Xtrema
07-13-2006, 03:31 PM
She's 83, it's about time. She may not die now but will die from complication.

I don't think the driver's @ fault unless they ruled that it's speeding. I treat that part of China Town 30km/h zone. Just too many people jump out behind cars.

googe
07-13-2006, 04:04 PM
I agree that people in Chinatown should watch out for traffic... but still.. don't rip through Chinatown.

you dont have to rip through chinatown. 83 year old asian women arent exactly skyscrapers, the difference between complete invisibility and impact for them is TWO STEPS. they walk between cars parked along the street and step out from behind them and it doesnt matter what speed youre going, youll be lucky to see them let alone stop for them.

Supa Dexta
07-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
It's like they think there is an invisible force field protecting them from drivers

Oh but they do have force feilds now, its the flashing amber crosswalks.. if you hit that button, you just dart out, no need to look..

The one on 17th and 16th? by the macks... is a prime example for this practice, people get nailed there all the time because of it..

look both ways retards, they've been telling us this since we were born...

sh0ko
07-13-2006, 06:20 PM
A lot of city planners seem to suffer from 'Head Up Ass Syndrome'.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

chris
07-13-2006, 06:27 PM
they need this sign there, they have one by my house, it's hilarious

GTS Jeff
07-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by MudCrawler

Well id say its about time they learn our culture. Its no excuse to put all of us other drivers in danger because they chose to move to the other side of the planet.

How can you turn one pedestrian's stupidity into a racial and cultural dig? "its about time they learn our culture." Who is "they" and who's culture are you talking about? Hmm do you mean those damn chinks better learn our aryan culture?

Fuck you redneck.

Slashin_
07-13-2006, 06:31 PM
chinatown ain't gonna chance yo....just our society of lazyness...why go all they way around when ur there after u cross teh roads....i only jay walk in chinatown but i do watch for traffic..but them older generation r gansta the walk straight with out looing for car to the sides of them......treat chinatown as a school zone or slower then that some times

Kona9
07-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

How can you turn one pedestrian's stupidity into a racial and cultural dig? "its about time they learn our culture." Who is "they" and who's culture are you talking about? Hmm do you mean those damn chinks better learn our aryan culture?

Fuck you redneck.

NICE!! Chalk one up for Jeff!! :rofl: :rofl:

My last trip to Kelowna I noticed two innovative crosswalk designs. On the firs one, the road lights up. This crosswalk is partially on a corner and its pretty much invisible at night. The road flashes yellow all the way across. Pretty cool.

The other was pretty basic but a great idea and all cross walks should have this. The lights were in their regular spots, yet they were Yellow Large LED / almost strobes. Shit did it ever catch my attention.

Good luck to the elder lady.

Altezza
07-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Not more than 9 hours later, another accident 3rd Ave around the 100 block. @8:30pm, there were a number of emergency vehicles tending to someone being placed in a stretcher. I drove by briefly and didn't see any damaged vehicles, so I presume it's another vehicle-pedestrian accident.

HiSpec
07-13-2006, 09:19 PM
i'm afraid to think about it.... but i think the elderly women is somewhat closely related to me...................:(

cloud7
07-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Chinese people are usually pretty good at jaywalking namely they usually jaywalk safely.... maybe this particular lady (thank God she was alright) has been in Calgary for a long time and have learned the Canadian way of crossing the street without looking.

mo_virgin
07-13-2006, 11:06 PM

Fuck you redneck.

Word Up. I was thinking the same thing.

RiceCake
07-13-2006, 11:27 PM
I was wondering why chinatown was sectioned off by cops at lunch today... Sad to see any accident in any means.:(

Pedestrians must learn that they don't always have right of way... seeing retards trying to cross deerfoot is always insane :eek:

403Gemini
07-13-2006, 11:35 PM

Fuck you redneck.

probably cause it happened in CHINA town to a CHINESE person who everybody saying "the CHINESE disregard our traffic laws cause it was different over there (over there = CHINA)" lol

im not defending what he said, im just supporting where he might have gotten the idea for his comment.

Honestly i see everybody jwalking downtown and almost getting hit by trains, buses, cars and shit everyday. its not just the chinese ;)

Darwin > j-walkers lol

AzN'SKillZ
07-13-2006, 11:37 PM

u need to stfu. last time i checked ur ancester came here in a boat and the old lady unlike ur ppl came here with dignity on a plane.

im not trying to offend anyone but damn thats rude to say about a old lady that just got hit by a car

Palmiros
07-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by chris
they need this sign there, they have one by my house, it's hilarious

SUBLIMINAL MESSAGING! Look at their feet, they`re wearing heelies. :P

codetrap
07-13-2006, 11:52 PM

Stoppie
07-14-2006, 12:05 AM
u need to stfu. last time i checked ur ancester came here in a boat and the old lady unlike ur ppl came here with dignity on a plane.

guys lets leave races, cultures, etc. out of this. White people do it to, its not like we are innocent. Some times alot of us are dumber about it to.

ALTHOUGH AzN'SKillZ your only bringing yourself down to the level of the previous comment, your not only making your self look like an idiot, but further pointing out that your comment was just as racist as his. I love how when white people make a bad comment, its horrible, but then people of another color think they can make one alike and get away with it like its nothing. Like I said, YOUR ONLY LOWERING YOURSELF to their level aswell.

Come on guys lets keep the colors out of here. Let keep it clean and just discuss, maybe even lock it, cause this thread could get messy real quick if no one listens.

mo_virgin
07-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

probably cause it happened in CHINA town to a CHINESE person who everybody saying "the CHINESE disregard our traffic laws cause it was different over there (over there = CHINA)" lol

im not defending what he said, im just supporting where he might have gotten the idea for his comment.

Honestly i see everybody jwalking downtown and almost getting hit by trains, buses, cars and shit everyday. its not just the chinese ;)

Darwin > j-walkers lol

Seriously... supporting where he may have gotten the idea from? You mean his racist redneck roots?

And fuck all that about "ITS DIFFERENT OVER THERE (in China)". Cause its NOT! you retards. Chances are she came from a big city and J walking was not only illegal but a hell of alot more dangerous than J walking here in Canada.

Khalil.e
07-14-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Sprinter
Good to know that the old woman is alive.

Hopefully this is a good example of driving with care especially around Chinatown. I remember driving there once and there was this guy walking on the sidewalk, then he all of a sudden just bolts across me, causing my tires to screech. Funny thing is the guy got pissed at me, and kept walking down the other side of the road as if nothing happened :dunno:

lol..I can so see this happening..but not in real life..

only in like GTA or something :rofl: :rofl:

MudCrawler
07-14-2006, 12:12 AM
How is this at all racist? Face it, different cultures are just different. All of our cultures believe in different things, and doing things differently. Quit living life pretending that everyone is the same. Its not the peace loving holding hands party planet that we all for some reason or another have to keep pretending exists.

It aint racism, it's logic.

jus_sum_guy
07-14-2006, 12:20 AM

We own a restaurant on that road and i'm there almost everyday.

"Your people" jaywalk just as much as ours

AzN'SKillZ
07-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

As one person pointed out, if she'd in critical condition but alive, she's doomed. A broken hip means she's going to die in the hospital. 80+ just don't heal, and they usually can't survive long from major accidents.

As far as coming on a boat vs a plane? How do you know she came on a plane? For all you know, she could have come on a boat as a refugee with 90 other people packed in.

It's still no excuse for her jaywalking, unless she isn't aware of what she's doing. Which in that case it's the fault of her care provider. The local law of the land is the law you have to respect, the rules from the old country simply don't apply.

So, why don't you "stfu" when it's pretty obvious you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground on this particular topic.

im not a phob i no the traffic laws, i would hold the old lady as responsible as a 9 year old gurl playin in a playground and getting hit. accidents happen and they are just not capable of handling different situations suck as most of us. so wen ur driving by areas were there are old ppl then u should slow down and pay more attention to the road, who knows what might happen they could trip by accident and fall on the road. its commen sences just like slowing down near playgrounds school and construstion zones.

the local law "pedestrians hav the right of way" so that means do whatever it takes to avoid hitting a pedestrian.

"travel at the speed indicated on speed signs or slower depending on road conditions" the conditions on this specific block is not good cuz there are cars park in places they shouldent be, blocking sight of pedestrian and ppl jaywalking everywere.

MudCrawler
07-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by jus_sum_guy

"Your people" jaywalk just as much as ours

Thats what im saying dipshit.

Allow me to quote myself:

How is this at all racist? Face it, different cultures are just different. All of our cultures believe in different things, and doing things differently. Quit living life pretending that everyone is the same. Its not the peace loving holding hands party planet that we all for some reason or another have to keep pretending exists.

I never once said "my people" dont jaywalk. None of you even know what race i am. :rolleyes:

So thanks "jus_sum_guy", and jus_fuck_off.

SilverBoost
07-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Its funny how this somehow turned into a race thing.....

she was a fucking human being who jaywalked and got struck by a car. Who gives a fuck where she came from or what race she was.

People jaywalk all over this city....

:drama:

AzN'SKillZ
07-14-2006, 12:44 AM
if ppl stop refering to her race and trying to say that her race has any thing to do with her jaywalk. then i wouldent be so pissed.

she is an old lady and they are just not capable of taking care of themselfs like the rest of us. no matter what culture ur from being respectful to elders is a basic. so slow down and be more careful. exaclty like how everyone slows down in playground zones to avoid hitting little children that just cant handle the concept of not playin on the road or look both ways before crossing. my grandma lives downtown and she has trouble walking and uses a kane. who knows what might happen that is why u should just be more careful around that area because of all the elder ppl. (respect for elders is in every culture)

Stoppie
07-14-2006, 12:57 AM
im hoping this gets locked... cause this is going no where and could get alot more messier. Like i said guys just leave the race out of this.

WHITE PEOPLE JAY WALK
ASIAN PEOPLE JAY WALK
EVERY COLOR JAYWALKS

DROP IT, LEAVE, WHO CARES. SHE JAYWALKED, SHE GOT HIT, THATS IT. Not because she was asian, not because she was anything.

HiSpec
07-14-2006, 01:03 AM
last news... the driver was going at 60 at the time of accident.

YCB
07-14-2006, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Stoppie
im hoping this gets locked... cause this is going no where and could get alot more messier. Like i said guys just leave the race out of this.

WHITE PEOPLE JAY WALK
ASIAN PEOPLE JAY WALK
EVERY COLOR JAYWALKS

DROP IT, LEAVE, WHO CARES. SHE JAYWALKED, SHE GOT HIT, THATS IT. Not because she was asian, not because she was anything.

:werd:

Got hit, glad she's ok :closed:

Maxt
07-14-2006, 05:46 AM
Yeah everyone Jay walks, however I drove through Chinatown 8 times this week and everytime, there were people jaywalking with blatant disregard for the signals and traffic, its not that they are the only ones, but it definetly is more prevalent down there, along with double parking....Lets be real here though sensitivities asid, there are things that go on in Chinatown that would not be tolerated anywhere else in the city... Like hanging pig carcasses on your roof for weeks till they are rancid, why because its accepted practise there..Not sure what it does to the meat, I sure as hell wouldnt eat it....Anwyays...
I can agree with the "force field" type comments though, that is the problem with having pedestrians indoctrinated with having the right of ways of cars. Peope come up to corners and with no warning whether they are going to turn 90 deg around corner or cross, they just step right out in front of moving cars with their head full "they have to stop for me".. They dont think that maybe the driver cant see them, is looking at his speedo, or daydreaming... Pedestrians are almost militant about it, they get that angry look on there faces when the walk out in front of you leaving you 12 feet to stop 8000 lbs from 50k to 0 and you squeal all 4...Like you should have been able to tell they were going to walk out from the store door directly onto the road...
:rolleyes: ...And as soon as they start to cross, they dont even look, its in there head, everyone has to stop for me...
Go to a country where the cars have the right of way, its much more controlled and safer.. People dont jaywalk and actually look for cars coming.. People use the lighted crosswalks and traffic light crossings pretty much always... In Japan, they dont even have school or playground zones either... A little education early on makes a big difference...

KoukiS14
07-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ

im not a phob i no the traffic laws

:rofl: Are you sure about that?

This old lady is my co-workers grandmother who is in the ICU. This is also the 2nd co-worker of mine to have a relative in a pedestrian accident. Kinda scary...

Pedestrians should be aware at all times, whether its jay walking or having the right of way.

KLCC
07-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Even thought I hate jaywalker and condemn jaywalking, but it is my given rights to walk through a marked or unmarked intersection. I expect the car to STOP for me when I jog in my residential area and I am sure other people would expect me to stop if he/she were to jog or walk the dog. As a driver, we ought be careful of any people near intersection, I think it is within our responsibilities to mind our surrounding. That’s all.

It is the law in black and white. If you don't like it, get a politician to change it.

"Stop for pedestrians.
Every intersection "WITHOUT" traffic lights is a pedestrian crosswalk, whether "MARKED" or "NOT", and pedestrians have the right of way. Vehicles must yield when a pedestrian is approaching. Once the pedestrian has gone past and is walking away from you, you may proceed. The fine for failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk or passing another vehicle stopped at a crosswalk travelling in the same direction is $575. "

Aleks
07-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Every morning driving through downtown I get 1 or 2 people run accross 6th ave as i am driving down the road. They expect me to get on the brakes for them but I don't. The looks on their faces are priceless :eek: If I jaywalk I make sure there are no cars around at least. :banghead:

Unknown303
07-14-2006, 07:34 AM
Yeah i agree that a person should always be ready to stop at an intersection but pedestrians sometimes just start booting it across. Even if you have no room to stop. and they think its your fault that you can't stop in time. I slow down all the time when i see people lingering on a corner and sometimes they go sometimes they don't. Seems like some people just like to stand on the corner to trick drivers into slowing down.

But as for Jaywalking thats impossible to call. Darting out between cars thats just wrong, depending on the height of the person and height of the vehicle they might now be visible till they are in your lane. And i'm not a fan of slamming on the brakes praying my ABS stops me before the old lady gets it.

My regards to the family and friends of the lady.

KLCC
07-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Every morning driving through downtown I get 1 or 2 people run accross 6th ave as i am driving down the road. They expect me to get on the breaks for them but I don't. The looks on their faces are priceless :eek: If I jaywalk I make sure there are no cars around at least. :banghead:

If you caught Jaywalker, good for you, bad for them. If you caught a pedestrian in a residential area, I hope they sue you until you declare bankruptcy :guns:

Aleks
07-14-2006, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by KLCC

If you caught Jaywalker, good for you, bad for them. If you caught a pedestrian in a residential area, I hope they sue you until you declare bankruptcy :guns:

LOL.

http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/images/smilies/ghey.gif

what do residential pedestrians have anything to do with what i said?

Anyways, this is the one of the few countries in the world where pedestrians have the right of way. Many take it too far. Sharing a road should be a mutual responsibility.

KLCC
07-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

LOL.

http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/images/smilies/ghey.gif

what do residential pedestrians have anything to do with what i said?

Anyways, this is the one of the few countries in the world where pedestrians have the right of way. Many take it too far. Sharing a road should be a mutual responsibility.

If a driver run a red light in downtown, chances are that same driver will likely run a red light in a somewhere not in downtown. People's driving habit tends to be consistent at anywhere. All I am saying is please yield pedestrian when driving in the residential area that's all.
I hate driver who fail to yield to pedestrian around my area, I am sure you feel the same way too.

kaput
07-14-2006, 09:02 AM

Xtrema
07-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by kaput
I heard she stole a tub of pancakes from one of the breakfasts and was running across the street while looking back at an angry cook waving his spatula.

No fucking way. Where in Chinatown would they serve Stampede breakfast?

Rav4Guy
07-14-2006, 09:18 AM
He was just being an idiot... what else is new.

sh0ko
07-14-2006, 10:00 AM
white black yellow red green w/e color hehe dosent matter everyone does it. cut the old lady some slack guys she just got hit by a car even if it was her fault it would suck to be in her shoes.. shes 80+... she probably wasnt thinking either...i believe if the driver wasnt speeding or anything he/she is not at fault at all...but like i said.. do u expect an 80+ year old woman to have her head screwed on all the way b4 jaywalking?!

not to mention ppl saying those kinda ppl need to learn other cultures haha u gotta ask urself how long has someone like that been back in asia and by then its too late...hmmmm

either way i just think this is ridiculous how some ppl are pulling race and other issues into this when someones lying on her death bed right now..kinda rude if u ask me

i vote..close this thread

sh0ko
07-14-2006, 10:03 AM
and azn*skillz... i REALLY mean no offence by this i know ur just trying to make us look better but dont try doing it by acting heaty. just sets us back a few more steps keep it civilized

codetrap
07-14-2006, 10:54 AM

Crymson
07-14-2006, 11:04 AM
What about the guys life she may have ruined by giving him/her a vehicular homicide? Doesn't seem fair to them either. That's why they're called accidents, however in this case it was no accident. Walking through traffic yields 1 inevitable result, getting hit. Speeding yields one inevitable result, not being able to stop -- no one wants this to happen, and if everyone followed the rules, they wouldn't.

SoSlowDx
07-14-2006, 11:14 AM

Fuck you redneck.

Although old lady is at fault..

DeeK
07-14-2006, 11:20 AM
im not a phob i no the traffic laws,
the local law, pedestrians hav the right of way" so that means do whatever it takes to avoid hitting a pedestrian.

obviously you dont know the laws, pedestrians have the right of way ONLY at intersections and designated crosswalks.

and even then, they should be aware of everything going on around them.

Fuji
07-14-2006, 11:58 AM

Fuck you redneck.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

SunniSunShine
07-14-2006, 12:05 PM

im not a phob i no the traffic laws,

you may not be a phob but you definetly are an idiot.. phob is an acronym , Fresh Off Boat.. dummy

i no the traffic laws too

do u no how 2 get 2 da bank w/o gettin hit by a truk, dnt fukin j-WALK y0!
l00k both wayzzzzxyzzz n be smart, thx ghetto fab

max_boost
07-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Just stay alert while driving. We didn't see this accident occur so we don't know exactly how it unfolded. Everytime I drive in Chinatown, it never fails me that either a pedestrian or vehicle will look one way but not the other :dunno: So what if the motorist is right, do you feel any better knowing that you killed someone?:eek: :drama:

Impreza
07-14-2006, 12:17 PM
One of the funny things is that people don't realize that in HK and even cities in China, you can't just j-walk where ever you want! The laws are more strict over there and if you do j-walk over there, you WILL get hit! So when some moron says shit like, "they need to learn OUR way of life", it is just retarded!

GTS Jeff
07-14-2006, 03:53 PM

Hey bigot, just because my hair is black and my skin is yellow, doesn't mean I'm from China and I jaywalk because that's how we do it in China.

You know what's funny? I'm probably more Canadian than you, because I at least understand the Canadian value of multiculturalism. :rolleyes:

tabouli
07-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Good call Jeff

People need to be extra careful in Downtown period, not just Chinatown.

legendboy
07-14-2006, 04:12 PM
people are jaywalking why?

That.Guy.S30
07-14-2006, 04:18 PM
so thats what happened in chinatown. i was there at 130ish and saw the road blocked off, didnt know what happened.

im glad shes ok. that road is dangerous.

i almost got hit a few times at the crosswalk because of idiot drivers who go wayy to fast. but jaywalking is a problem in chinatown.

2fast4me
07-14-2006, 04:33 PM
there was a old gentlemen that got killed by a truck last night (July 13th) at about 8:30pm. Center ST and 3 ave, Chinatown. How come is not on the news anywhere??

Graham_A_M
07-14-2006, 04:52 PM
People just jay-walk because its Stampede. Everybody feels that general stupidity is justified. That as well as careless-ness causes accidents such as this. wait until monday the 17th and that'll be the end of jay-walking I'll bet. It was like this last year as well

BTW Jeff. So you really are Chinese? I've seen two cars being driven, that were identical to yours. Same rim + paint combo.

One was driven by an older Asian man.. driving around his daughter, who looked to be 5 or so. He kind of eye-balled me, I think he reconized me from my avatar (was that you)

I've also seen a (white) guy in his early to mid 20's driving the EXACT same style of car on deerfoot.. I could have SWORE that was you until I read the post saying that your in fact asian.

How old are you anyway?

GTS Jeff
07-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Same rim + paint combo. Unpossible! I don't think anyone has painted their wheels the way I have. It's definitely a "unique" paint scheme and it also took like 45 hours to mask properly.

sh0ko
07-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Hey bigot, just because my hair is black and my skin is yellow, doesn't mean I'm from China and I jaywalk because that's how we do it in China.

You know what's funny? I'm probably more Canadian than you, because I at least understand the Canadian value of multiculturalism.

Owned

nich148_9
07-14-2006, 05:15 PM
I don't want to be pegged as racist or anything, but I've been down to Chinatown loads of times and there are so many people jaywalking. I think that it needs to be a little effort on our part to slow down and watch for them, but I think that if you're jaywalking and you get hit, it's your own ruddy fault.

MudCrawler
07-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko

Owned

yaaaa, totally. :rolleyes:

lol, what a joke you guys are. Im sorry i hurt little jeffs feelings. But he doesnt have to get so fuckin uptight just cause his race jaywalks.

JordanEG6
07-14-2006, 05:22 PM

yaaaa, totally. :rolleyes:

lol, what a joke you guys are. Im sorry i hurt little jeffs feelings. But he doesnt have to get so fuckin uptight just cause his race jaywalks.

haha hey handjobbassman, you just contradicted your previous posts. way to turn it into a race thing again..."his race" :rolleyes:

everyone jaywalks, its not a 'code' in a chinese DNA to tell the chinese person to jaywalk, people do it just cause, not because its part of his/her 'culture', which btw does not justify chinese life style.

MudCrawler
07-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

haha hey handjobbassman, you just contradicted your previous posts. way to turn it into a race thing again..."his race" :rolleyes:

Way to understand scarcasm. :rofl:

I thought it would be naturally inferred, saying i take none of you seriously.

Originally posted by JordanEG6

haha hey handjobbassman

Man, you are outrageously original and funny, Har Har:eek:

Oh well. I suppose beyond is 90% asian anyways. I guess when i dis the culture, everyone assumes im a "redneck". God bless Canada.

///|ndy
07-14-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm probably more Canadian than you, because I at least understand the Canadian value of multiculturalism. :rolleyes:

Oh really? :rolleyes: Thats a funny thing to say when you make comments such as this one:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I enjoy eliciting responses like yours. BTW, don't give me your BS about good grades, you spell like an immigrant.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=1307131#post1307131

You are just butt-hurt because you ASSumed MudCrawler took a jab at your ethnicity.

MudCrawler
07-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ///|ndy

Oh really? :rolleyes: Thats a funny thing to say when you make comments such as this one:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=1307131#post1307131

You are just butt-hurt because you ASSumed MudCrawler took a jab at your ethnicity.

Half the crap that guy says is either totally offensive, doesnt make sence, or just utterly stupid. (In the odd case, funny).

Here are some fine examples...

mutha truckin?

Are you mormon??
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138272

BBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I can tell you're mormon because only mormons use "swear substitutes" such as "mutha truckin." :rofl: :rofl:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138272

Coke or Pepsi?

Jews.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137253

:clap:

GTS Jeff
07-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Wow, I can't believe you took the time to troll through all my old posts. The quotes you posted are not seriously discriminatory, because if they were, I would have already been called out on them a long time ago.

If you think that quoting some of my old posts will dig you out of your hole, think again.

GTS Jeff
07-14-2006, 06:46 PM
I guess when i dis the culture, everyone assumes im a "redneck". Redneck is an insult that I have bestowed upon you for your ignorant thinking such as when you diss cultures.

God bless Canada. PS. Canada is a secular nation. You do know what secular means, don't you, redneck?

///|ndy
07-14-2006, 07:20 PM
If you think that quoting some of my old posts will dig you out of your hole, think again.

Your old posts? MudCrawler quoted things you posted like hours ago. You racist a-hole :poosie:

barbarian
07-14-2006, 07:34 PM
(mostly unrelated) I've noticed that most drivers will not stop for a pedestrian in a marked, uncontrolled crosswalk. (Well maybe if you have DD jugs they do). If the first car does not stop, the next 9 or 10 will go through before someone stops. When I have to cross in this situation, if it's on a curved corner and it's safe to do, I stick one foot on the road in the crosswalk. It turns it into a potential $500 violation for cars that can safely stop, and don't, and you actually get to cross the road without waiting for the next 30 cars.

HiSpec
07-14-2006, 11:38 PM
heard of the officer that dealt with this accident that they are planning make 3rd ave a 30km/h zone.

Maxt
07-15-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec
heard of the officer that dealt with this accident that they are planning make 3rd ave a 30km/h zone.
Thats ridiculous, they should just try applying the existing traffic laws first... Such as jaywalking, double parking, parking on the sidewalk etc etc.. Accomodating the hazards that contravene existing laws by changing a law serves no purpose, its just acceptance of a growing and larger problem, lack of personal awareness and disregard for the general rules of the road..So much for personal responsibility..

mo_virgin
07-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec

Its not that absurd, 3rd ave is pretty much residential, stripclub and chinatown... all areas that would benifit from that change.

Si_FlyGuy
07-15-2006, 10:14 AM
If you want to say that only Chinese people jaywalk in chinatown, therefore I must conclude that only white people jaywalk near walmart and value village. "It's logic".:nut: :nut:

403Gemini
07-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
If you want to say that only Chinese people jaywalk in chinatown, therefore I must conclude that only white people jaywalk near walmart and value village. "It's logic".:nut: :nut:

we sure do :thumbsup: i love walmart! but.... how do you jay walk in a parking lot? :dunno:

MudCrawler
07-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Wow, I can't believe you took the time to troll through all my old posts.

Actually, i just took just a few quotes from your posts from hours before. They are not "old" posts. Im sure the quotes would be more interesting if i "trolled" through your old posts.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Graham_A_M
07-15-2006, 04:04 PM
:drama: so this debate gets interesting

MudCrawler
07-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
:drama: so this debate gets interesting

Sorry, you're right graham.

Well, back on track, that is a pity that the woman was injured. But it sure is getting frustrating with so many people these days jaywalking, even without looking first. I hope there is more done to prevent these things in the future.

Stoppie
07-15-2006, 06:28 PM
yeah this thread is actually quite retarded now. Making a jab at anothers religion, ethnic race, etc. doesn't make you "the big boy on the stree" makes you just seem like a total douche bag and a moron.

Continue with all this crap if you guy's want but, it's your hole, dig it well.