PDA

View Full Version : Anybody interested in learning how to power polish?

Graham_A_M
07-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Well I talked to this detailing guru today, basically he's the most knowledgable person I've EVER talked to in terms of detailing, its just nuts how much he knows!

But he used to offer a course of how to Cut & polish. (which is the technical term.. but most people know it as power polish)

Unfortunately there is too much of a lack of interest for him to keep hosting the course, since its a 1 day seminar, and it doesn't make sense for him to take a whole day teaching 1 person how to do it. So I was wondering who else besides me would like to take this course? its probably $120-150 a person (I was told.. a LONG time ago when the course would run on a monthly basis).

Whats great is that its completely hands on whereas he'll show you how to and how NOT to properly polish a vehicle. Basically you'll be given a polisher to experiment with, on a wide variety of old car hoods to learn the fundamentals of what to do. There is lots of different methods, techniques and things to know when using a power buffer, and he'll teach you how to do it right, and end up with a concours quality shine every time.

I dont know about you guys but I think this would be a really valuble thing to know, since most people charge $400 to do a comprehensive power polish when you can learn it yourself for $150 or so... and do it on the side for extra coin.

But call up Don, if there is at least 4 or 5 people he'll host another seminar. 875-1537

Crymson
07-13-2006, 05:46 PM
What I'd pay 120 bux for would be this:

4-5 people get together with their cars and your friend, and we bring our own polishers (I have a PC) or he supplies them + chemicals, and he can show us the best way to deal with the issues with our individual cars.

Calgarydetail
07-15-2006, 11:55 AM
sounds like it would eb fun imight be able to get a few people. Shot me and e-mail with the details please and ill let you know.. [email protected]

thnkx
-mike

Jed Bouscal
07-20-2006, 02:02 AM
I've rarely heard power polishing referred to specifically as "cut & polish", neither locally nor in the international community, but that's just semantics. If someone who knows what they're doing can teach others to do it well, then that's great. I see a lot of crappy work come out of local detail shops and dealerships, and it would be nice if people were educated so that they could raise their standards and expectations when it comes to this craft.

While it would be great if you were able to professionally polish your own vehicle for a $150 investment, I would remind you that this does not include equipment. I own two polishers, one random orbit and one rotary, valued at $200 and $380 respectively, plus pads, polishes, towels, cleaning equipment (can't polish dirty or contaminated paint!) valued at several hundred dollars as well.

Just some points to consider, but like I said, if this is a skill you wish to take up, good luck, and feel free to message me if you have any questions!

7thgenvic
07-20-2006, 02:21 AM
power polishing isn't that hard.....i've done my fair share of polishes on car's....used many different compounds...its figuring out which compound and then doing the polish....

Jed Bouscal
07-20-2006, 02:41 AM
Cool man lets see some before & after sun shots! Would love to have a look at your work!

sneek
07-27-2006, 09:28 PM
is this for rotary for PC because the PC is idiot proof but when using a rotary...i am an idiot~!

ninspeed
07-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Jed Bouscal
I've rarely heard power polishing referred to specifically as "cut & polish", neither locally nor in the international community,

Hrmm... then you dont listen very much eh? any time a wet sanding is done, or heavy swirl marks/oxidation, the surface has to be "CUT" down using an aggresive rubbing/cutting compound. Then work your way though your compounds, polishs, and glazes. An average paint job can see up to 6 stages if really really picky (like some of my customers).

wylderhoads
08-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey this would be awesome, I would be for it. Where would this be held? Does you use a pc or rotary... I have a pc and would like to learn more on that rather than a rotary.

Jed Bouscal
08-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed

Hrmm... then you dont listen very much eh? any time a wet sanding is done, or heavy swirl marks/oxidation, the surface has to be "CUT" down using an aggresive rubbing/cutting compound. Then work your way though your compounds, polishs, and glazes. An average paint job can see up to 6 stages if really really picky (like some of my customers).

While I appreciate the insult, I wasn't implying that there was no cutting action involved in a heavy polishing. I was saying that I hadn't heard the process commonly referred to as "cut & polish". I appologize if I wasn't clear.

I'm glad you're so thorough for your picky customers. I assume all my clients are picky, and treat their finish accordingly. That's why I can offer a 100% money back guarantee.

It sounds like you take a lot of pride in your work, and that's good to see. I see a lot of bad polishing jobs and new-car prep come out of dealerships and detail shops in Calgary.

If you'd like to see some of my work, pm me, and I'll direct you to my online portfolio. Cheers!