PDA

View Full Version : batteries from pick'n'pull

frozenrice
07-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Has anyone ever bought a used battery from pick'n'pull before? Can I expect much? I just bought a used truck dirt cheap that I'm going to use as a winter beater and for occassional hauling. I don't want to dump much money on it. Even if the battery will last me through the winter, I'll be happy.

Palmiros
07-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Sure, use it.

Good luck finding a battery in there though.

Edit: all things being equal, get a new one, you`ll spend $$ more, but you won't be calling AMA to boost you up on a cold winter morning. :)

frozenrice
07-13-2006, 10:50 PM
I was just there last week and they had a bunch of them sitting on the floor near the cashier. I didn't give them much thought because I didn't think I'd ever need to get one. You're right about getting a new one, but I only paid $500 for the truck and don't want to put too much money into it. Are there new car batteries for under $50?

Weapon_R
07-13-2006, 10:51 PM
Buy one, as long as it holds a charge it should be fine.

RiceCake
07-13-2006, 10:56 PM
sometimes you can snap up some nice batteries down there... its pretty much luck of the draw though.

I donated my beater there with a fresh ac-delco battery...

Palmiros
07-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
I was just there last week and they had a bunch of them sitting on the floor near the cashier. I didn't give them much thought because I didn't think I'd ever need to get one. You're right about getting a new one, but I only paid $500 for the truck and don't want to put too much money into it. Are there new car batteries for under $50?

Wallymart. :)

3G
07-14-2006, 01:34 AM
I boght one from there before, had no problems with it

barmanjay
07-14-2006, 01:50 AM
I just bought one from there not too long ago

same thing as you,.. at the till,.. looked,... almost thought nothing of it....

looked again and spotted a new ac delco battery,.. scooped it up - $20

nonsane
07-14-2006, 07:20 AM
when i bought my car it came with a battery the guy got from PNP. After 1 day of sitting it would not restart, took the battery for a load test and it found it had a dead cell.

With anything you win some, you lose some though.

I hear interstate has refurbished or blemished batteries for 40$. My dad always gets these, although i have never purchased one myself.

Supa Dexta
07-14-2006, 04:34 PM
My buddy who used to run beaters all the time, used to go to the recyclers and see which would made a good strong spark, then threw that in the car.. He actually had good luck with the damn things.