PDA

View Full Version : What to bring (car emergency wise) for a long road trip?

RedBull
07-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Well its a pretty simple question, I'm planning on cruising down to California in late July so I was wondering what safety items people usually pack for road side emergencies?

Also, with the big brake upgrade and 19inch volks on my Z there is no way my spare tire will actually be useful. On the event of getting a flat, has anyone ever used one of those "portable inflaters and tire sealer kits"? Would that gunk that gets sprayed in screw up my volk rims and wheel balance? Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

-Redbull

kaput
07-14-2006, 11:52 AM

max_boost
07-14-2006, 12:05 PM
:werd: You don't want to risk getting those wheels jacked!

RedBull
07-14-2006, 12:11 PM
The stock wheels have Pirelli winter tires on them unfortunately or else that would be a good option.

-RedBull

motion
07-14-2006, 12:33 PM
a 40oz of crown.

GTS Jeff
07-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by motion
a 40oz of crown. :werd: It's a new car, it won't need shit.

djfob
07-14-2006, 03:46 PM
you should have roadside assistance anyways right

95EagleAWD
07-14-2006, 04:34 PM
I bring nothing. I figure if something breaks, it'll be something I don't have.

I brought jack shit on my last road trip in a car I'd never driven before. 2400+ miles and no probs.

Supa Dexta
07-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah I've been coast to coast in a beat up civic and an old delta88.. they were half dead when I started and both made it without much problem..

alloroc
07-14-2006, 04:38 PM
New car or not make a kit bag with the following and keep it in the car. You never know if you will get stuck on a road due to a closure or other emergency.

First aid kit

Gloves - light enough to change a tire but heavy enough to change it in the winter.

A few rags.

A roll of asswipe

One of those new fangled batteryless flashlights (they actually kinda suck because you have to keep shaking them but they are totally reliable and bright enough to find your jack and wheel key etc in the dark. ( or flag someoen down )

20-40 bucks American for an emergency gas/food fund.

A wool or fleece blanket - queen or king size - btw those silver reflective emergancy blankets totally suck I learned that the hard way.

Two or three small candles big enough to burn for 2-4 hours each and some waterproof matches.

Also bring some emergency food .. a package or 2 of beef jerky, some candy, and a bottled water a litre per person min.

Justing
07-14-2006, 04:56 PM
^^ Holy shit... are you a mother??

Faak...bring your cell phone and your good to go.

Your not gonna get stranded on a dessert island.

Weapon_R
07-14-2006, 05:28 PM
1 spare tire, an AMA membership, and a flashlight. No need for anything else, it's a new car. The gunk you spray in your tires is sticky and you dont want that on your tires.

Hash_man
07-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Ya ama is a life saver. Especially the gold membership if you drive long distances often.

GTS Jeff
07-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Justing
Your not gonna get stranded on a dessert island. mmmmm yummy dessert island!!

Gingerbread houses and candycane trees everywhere!

Tik-Tok
07-14-2006, 07:01 PM
A Credit Card and Anal Lube for the ass-raping a tow truck / mechanic will give you.

Other than that, LOTS of water, not that your car will break down or anything, but just in case, bring at least a 2 liter of water in your trunk that you won't drink while normally driving.

barbarian
07-14-2006, 07:25 PM
If you're going to drive through that desert in Washington/Oregon south of the tri-cities, about 4 L of water for you to drink if your car/air conditioning breaks down, 4 L of water for your car.

Also:
- Duct tape (emergency hose repair)
- Flashlight with extra unopened batteries, non-expired and reputable brand
- all that stuff everyone else said

If you're going to drive through any serious deserts on the way, bring an umbrella. I'm not kidding, this is for when your car breaks down and you walk for help in the blistering sun.

alloroc
07-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Justing
^^ Holy shit... are you a mother??

Faak...bring your cell phone and your good to go.

Your not gonna get stranded on a dessert island.

No but I probably did yours the last time I was stuck in Logan's pass because of a road closure.

.... that reminds me ...bring condoms too.

barbarian
07-15-2006, 02:49 PM
If you have a slow leak, and you use the inflator stuff, it plugs up your valve steam, so you can no longer add air.

Vagabond142
07-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
I bring nothing. I figure if something breaks, it'll be something I don't have.

I brought jack shit on my last road trip in a car I'd never driven before. 2400+ miles and no probs.

But.... that was in a Honda :thumbsup: :D

BerserkerCatSplat
07-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

But.... that was in a Honda :thumbsup: :D

I know for a fact you don't carry a spare distributer. :rofl:

pinoyhero
07-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Bring some meal replacement bars in case you get stranded and need some food.

QuasarCav
07-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I know for a fact you don't carry a spare distributer. :rofl:

I do, fucking thing blows up every so often.

Only thing that has though.

boopydogg
07-19-2006, 01:06 AM
it sounds strange but i pack womens pantyhose because if a belt breaks its a good replacement to get you to where you can get another one those suckers are strong
just tie it tight onto where your alternater belt was and your good to go just drive slower till you get to the next town