PDA

View Full Version : GUEST-TEK jobs ? Please help!

Teknodude2000
07-15-2006, 02:59 PM
I keep seeing GUEST-TEK job ads in the paper. Seems like a cool place to work at. Again, i'm mainly looking for
help desk/tech support/customer service/sales positions.

Anyone here work there? If so, what's it like?

What is their hiring process?

Any tips/advice on how to get a job there, the interview questions etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Graham_A_M
07-15-2006, 03:55 PM
man this starting to sound like a public opinions marketing spam

all the "threads" are just copy and paste with the company names being changed. :thumbsdow

3G
07-15-2006, 06:30 PM
true thatt

rage2
07-15-2006, 06:50 PM
He might be just looking for a job too hehe.

I know their old CFO very well. I'll ask him your questions and get back to you.

Teknodude2000
07-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
man this starting to sound like a public opinions marketing spam

all the "threads" are just copy and paste with the company names being changed. :thumbsdow

oh, sorry it looks like 'spam' man ... its not - i'm just trying to get some good job advice & thought this would be a good place to ask. i guess i should've put it all in one post.
:thumbsup:

Teknodude2000
07-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I know their old CFO very well. I'll ask him your questions and get back to you.

wow. thanks so much!!!

ShOwOfF
07-16-2006, 01:59 AM
If I recall, I read something on Guest-Tek's owners/operator's being alumni of UofC. They sounded reputable at the time, and the only faint memory I have of them is that they provide software for the hotel industry...correct me if im wrong.

broken_legs
07-16-2006, 02:01 AM
He might be just looking for a job too hehe.

Unless you're talking about Brenda, I have serious doubts the CFO of this company would ever dirty his hands in the mire of the call center...

Its typical call center work, what the F do you want to know?

Oz-
07-16-2006, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Unless you're talking about Brenda, I have serious doubts the CFO of this company would ever dirty his hands in the mire of the call center...

Its typical call center work, what the F do you want to know?

He isn't talking about Brenda, he is talking about PK . He ended up quitting after 3-4 months. There was an old VP of sales that went to Replicon as a VP of Biz Dev (DS). Not sure if he is still around or not.

rage2
07-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Oz-
He isn't talking about Brenda, he is talking about PK . He ended up quitting after 3-4 months. There was an old VP of sales that went to Replicon as a VP of Biz Dev (DS). Not sure if he is still around or not.
DV not DS ;). And ya I know PK well, I jacked his corner office! :rofl:

mwmhong
07-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by ShOwOfF
If I recall, I read something on Guest-Tek's owners/operator's being alumni of UofC. They sounded reputable at the time, and the only faint memory I have of them is that they provide software for the hotel industry...correct me if im wrong.

They do in-room internet access for hotels.

I read in the National Post about them about a year or two ago about that company being 'the worst IPO in Canadian History' (?) or something to that effect.

broken_legs
07-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by mwmhong

I read in the National Post about them about a year or two ago about that company being 'the worst IPO in Canadian History' (?) or something to that effect.

word.

PAUL SULLIVAN WITH EVERYONES MONEY ---> :burnout:

Teknodude2000
07-16-2006, 01:04 PM

geeez, seriously?? not a recommended company to work for then? :(

broken_legs
07-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Teknodude2000

geeez, seriously?? not a recommended company to work for then? :(

Are you looking for a job or a career? What do you care if the company you work for was suspended from trading for shady accounting? You still get paid. Its still a job and it pays OK if youre a student or live at home with your parents!

supaj87GTS
07-16-2006, 06:22 PM
I used to Work at Guest-Tek I only have good things to say about the company...
They treat there employees very well and there is always room for promptions and other jobs within the Company.

Actually I still have all my Books for training .....If you are interested in IT position.pretty basic stuff get used to saying the same thing over and over thought

Run IP config /renew Release and lots of simple stuff like configuring IPs and such to run to there network.......

Good Luck

Teknodude2000
07-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Are you looking for a job or a career? What do you care if the company you work for was suspended from trading for shady accounting? You still get paid. Its still a job and it pays OK if youre a student or live at home with your parents!
true that. good point. :)

Teknodude2000
07-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by supaj87GTS
I used to Work at Guest-Tek I only have good things to say about the company...
They treat there employees very well and there is always room for promptions and other jobs within the Company.

Actually I still have all my Books for training .....If you are interested in IT position.pretty basic stuff get used to saying the same thing over and over thought

Run IP config /renew Release and lots of simple stuff like configuring IPs and such to run to there network.......

Good Luck

Cool. I have some questions.

1.) What is the working environment like?

2.) Is the actual work quite stressful?

3.) What kind of things did they ask at the interview?

4.) Do they require certs./professional qualifications like A+, a degree etc.

broken_legs
07-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Teknodude2000

Cool. I have some questions.

1.) What is the working environment like?
See Below.

2.) Is the actual work quite stressful?
Do you think sitting in a hot sticky room with 100 other people staring at a computer screen trying to talk to someone who has no understanding of computers who you can barely hear because of all the other people talking around never mind the fact that they can barely speak english is stressful?

3.) What kind of things did they ask at the interview?
"Whats the difference between a HUB and a ROUTER"

4.) Do they require certs./professional qualifications like A+, a degree etc.
If you have professional certifications why are you trying to work in a call center?

Oz-
07-16-2006, 09:29 PM

DV not DS ;). And ya I know PK well, I jacked his corner office! :rofl:

My bad, was thinking of Paul Sullivan.

Basically with all the bad stuff that happened with this company was because the original owners wanted to get a big return on their investment, they pushed forward very fast with their IPO. Which is they decided to go public in late November and early February they were public.

All the executive were all young and had never been in positions that held responsiblity and split at the seams. That is why Arnon Levy decided to come back and win the shareholder vote and get rid of Paul Sullivan.

Not sure how he is doing, other then the stock price being craptastic and never reaching the price of their IPO. I doubt Paul Sullivan made out like a bandit, it was more Arnon Levy, Jacob Renert and one other original investor. And yes if I sold right now, I will have lost some money on the Guest-Tek stock.

slickk
07-17-2006, 09:22 AM
That IPO was brutal.

There is a short 40 question test you have to pass in order to be accepted for any entry level call center position. Pretty basic stuff where if you have any limited knowledge of networking or computers you should be able to pass.

D'z Nutz
07-19-2006, 09:02 PM
I heard they laid off 35% of their staff today. There must be job openings now! :rofl:

Ajay
07-19-2006, 09:06 PM
I know a few friends that work there. One of them is a very good friend.

He does the installs in hotels so he's always travelling around the US and sometimes they send him to Central America. He likes his job but not as much as he did when he first started cause well, he's always away from home.

KLCC
07-20-2006, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I heard they laid off 35% of their staff today. There must be job openings now! :rofl:

Ouch....I know somebody there...the overall atmosphere is pretty DEPRESSING to say the least, but as Dz Nutz says, must be tons of job opening now :devil:

slickk
07-20-2006, 11:00 AM
No there's not gunna be any job openings. Why would they fire all of their qualified staff only to hire new inexperienced people? It doesn't make business sense. They have axed all these jobs because they are trying to reduce operational expenses. They have a Call Center in Poland which, in my opinion, is where they will be hiring new staff and expanding further to reduce expenses.

Guest-Tek is moving towards having their Call Center operate out of another country entirely. They can hire 3 call center reps in Poland for the cost of only 1 rep here in Calgary.

These layoffs are another prime example of companies that only care about one thing: maximizing profits.

D'z Nutz
07-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by slickk
No there's not gunna be any job openings. Why would they fire all of their qualified staff only to hire new inexperienced people? It doesn't make business sense. They have axed all these jobs because they are trying to reduce operational expenses. They have a Call Center in Poland which, in my opinion, is where they will be hiring new staff and expanding further to reduce expenses.

Guest-Tek is moving towards having their Call Center operate out of another country entirely. They can hire 3 call center reps in Poland for the cost of only 1 rep here in Calgary.

These layoffs are another prime example of companies that only care about one thing: maximizing profits.

Man, I hope internet sarcasm isn't anywhere on that 40 question test, cause some people would fail....

Oz-
07-20-2006, 02:06 PM

Man, I hope internet sarcasm isn't anywhere on that 40 question test, cause some people would fail....

I just needed to quote that, made my afternoon :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Of course they are trying to maximize profits, when the stock IPO's at 10.25 and is sitting at 3.60 that doesn't help investor confidence. Probably 1 more year of this and then MP Tech probably will use their shares to get different people in there.

PaleRider
07-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by KLCC

Ouch....I know somebody there...the overall atmosphere is pretty DEPRESSING to say the least, but as Dz Nutz says, must be tons of job opening now :devil:

in Wasaw, Poland - if you are willing to re-locate :D

qrankz
07-20-2006, 02:51 PM
If you wanna be busy the whole time and deal with old fogies who can't use their internet connection because their finger is about to fall off then go for it. They support a lot of major hotels and their network/interenet connections. So yeah..grumpy businessmen, cranky wives, the general public who doesn't know how to use the internet.

Penguin_Racecar
07-20-2006, 03:03 PM

I heard the same thing. Apparently they laid off 80 people.
I used to work there. The money isn't bad, but I hated the job. My buddy worked in NOC (network operations centre) for over a year, but he was getting sick of it too.
You have to realize that you're on the phone at pretty much all times. It's in no way a relaxing job.

Oz-
07-21-2006, 05:51 PM
hahaha

Guess the axes keeps on falling, friend of a friend that I was having beers with said that tally is at 100+ now.

Super_Geo
08-12-2006, 08:11 AM
I worked a summer there while I was still going through school. One thing you have to realize about that job: You will be working with some of the most brutal nerds you have ever met. Seriously, it was like Nerd Mecca, where their gayness could flow unimpeded in the absence of natural predatory forces that traditionally kept it in check (jocks, non-ogrish girls, any form of sport, the idea of sex, etc etc).

I would not recommend it.