PDA

View Full Version : Which way to face my sub?

lil*tymer
07-15-2006, 04:22 PM
I just boght this sub and box and was wondering theoretically which way would be better to face it in my Ford explorer.

http://www.sicorpusa.com/audio/Alpine/SBR-S122V/Picture004_edited.jpg

thx

Sp33d_1
07-15-2006, 04:36 PM
I would say face it towards the back window so it reverbs off of it. It will sound better if it travels further. ie from sub off back window to your delicate little ears up in the front :poosie:

GTS Jeff
07-15-2006, 04:47 PM
It's easy enough to try both directions to see which sounds better. Why trust a message board over your own ears?

sporty_cavy
07-15-2006, 05:13 PM
If you face it towards your back bumper it allows the sound to travel further, also allowing it to in most cases sound better. You will get an intense bass inside your car but should not be too loud from outside.

pinoyhero
07-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Put it on the dashboard

Palmiros
07-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Put it on the dashboard

Yup. Thats for sure a good spot. OR, something even better IMO, would be to jack-up the seat, and place it under it.(facing up)
That way you`ll get the full effect.

On a serious note, in the back, facing you would be good.

adam c
07-15-2006, 06:40 PM
the closer the sub is to the power source the better, so id say put it in ur engine or maybe in the passenger area

Team_Mclaren
07-15-2006, 06:45 PM
wow, I would like to thank those fucking smartasses for ruining a good thread. :rolleyes:

westbeach
07-15-2006, 07:03 PM
on a serious note i have heard that people put it right up behind the rear seat and yeah.. just watch your amp doesn't get too hot ( like someone i know ) lol and start something on fire possibly.. lol but yeah up against the back seat the speaker facing backwards.. goodluck with it bud..

sporty_cavy
07-16-2006, 12:44 AM
That is exactly what I did with my amp and subs. Never heated too hot or caught fire.... no problems at all. Good sound too.

arian_ma
07-16-2006, 12:50 AM
I put mine right up against my rear seat facing towards me.
For some reason when I face it towards my rear bumper, everytime I close my trunk my subs just go off and don't stop going off until I open the trunk. My deck won't even be on.
I was thinking poor ground but I don't see why turning the sub the other way would change anything. :confused:

Unknown303
07-16-2006, 12:57 AM
My friend had an old bronco and we did an install with them facing towards the rear and it produced a really nice sound.

xmattx8
07-16-2006, 01:39 AM
I would face it pointing towards the bumper... but whats the harm in trying different positions out..

f150mikey060
07-17-2006, 11:24 AM
werd, try every position you possibly can. backwards would probably be your best bet

rc2002
07-17-2006, 01:25 PM
You'll notice it won't make a huge difference. Such low frequency sound isn't really directional. Go with what is most convenient and gives you the most space.

Phat_Tercel_YO!
07-17-2006, 11:54 PM
I disagree.

Such low frequencies are non directional, but that doesn't mean the pathlength does not make a difference.

You will get significant gains from pointing your sub in different directions. Your vehicles acoustical properties have a large factor to play in that.

If you want what sounds best, you'll probably want to point the sub backwards in that box. If you want it loud, you have to change your box, then point your subs up and ports back. There are other louder combinations involved, but that will give you the hardest hitting street bass in an Explorer.