PDA

View Full Version : Bsc Careers

Daxin
07-16-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm wondering what people are doing with their Bsc degrees. I've done had a few different jobs such as, research at the University for a year then customer service for an agricultural lab. After being laid off from there, I worked at a water lab, testing different elements for a few years.

I'm curious as to what other opportunities are out there for Bsc degrees and what kind of jobs people are doing. Most people I know work in a laboratory environment and doesn't pay all that well.

Thanx

kaput
07-16-2006, 05:35 PM

GTS Jeff
07-16-2006, 06:16 PM
First I'll assume you aren't talking about something like a BSc. in engineering but a BSc in something less professional, like Bio or Chem. Well, a BSc by itself won't get you shit. What it does do though, is open doors to jobs that you otherwise would be overlooked for.

When you are looking for a job, the number one thing employers look at is work experience that relates to the job. You should have at least a couple years to even be considered. Then after that, usually jobs worth more than $40k/year will require post secondary education if you only have a couple years of related work experience. All post secondary proves is that you aren't totally stupid.

With a BSc. Biology and a couple years of sales experience, I've gotten a few decent jobs with fortune 500 companies and with good earning potential (6 digits within a year or two.)

-Assistant Territory Sales Manager (this job went nowhere but it sounds good on the resume)
-Service Sales Consultant
-IT Recruiter

Of course, a BSc is also the logical progression to a professional health science career, which is a path that some choose as well.

Daxin
07-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Yes I am referring to the Bsc degree in biology, chemistry, etc etc.

I agree with GTS Jeff, on the fact that the undergrad degree means almost nothing. The Bsc degree does have some potential to enter into a decent work field. I thought I'd post it here to see what kind's of jobs people are in.