PDA

View Full Version : Splitting the video input to a stock Mazda6 NAV screen?

Kami
07-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know what type of video connector is used for the stock in-dash NAV screen of a Mazda6? I'm thinking about mounting a PC into the car, and sharing the screen between it and the NAV system, probably by simply installing a splitter. But without ripping the dash off to take a look, I'd like to know what type of connector is used to connect to the screen. Is it accessible through the glove box, or would I be forced to remove the dash pannel to get to it?

Thanks in advance.

soupey
07-17-2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.mazdaparts.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Electronics:AV+DV

Kami
07-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. However, I find it really difficult to justify paying that much for a simple video splitter.

That being said, I've "aquired" the schematics for the NAV system, which I've scanned and posted it here (http://www.albertabiking.com/images/Car/Mazda6_NAV_Schematic.pdf) so that I can get the advice of the electronics gurus on the board. I am looking into how difficult it would be to build a converter myself. There appear to only be two wires that go to the screen that would need to be spliced.

I have some electronics training, but I am certainly not an electronics engineer. I am wondering if it would be easy enough to splice those two wires and connect my own video connector, or if there would be problems with the analog signal, as I know enough that not all analog signals are the same. If I do go ahead and cut these wires and connect my own video connector, would I run into any problems with the video signal coming from a computer?

Any advice from the electronics gurus would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

soupey
07-26-2006, 09:45 AM
if its only splicing a wire it should be easy...cant u post up ur schematic?

Kami
07-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by soupey
if its only splicing a wire it should be easy...cant u post up ur schematic?

I have 7 pages of schematics in the PDF. Rather than simply posting a few of the pages as JPGs, I thought I'd post them all in a single PDF.

But here is the first page. I've circled the wires I'm considering splicing in red. (Not directly posted due to the size of the image).

http://www.albertabiking.com/images/Car/Mazda6_NAV-Schematic_288.JPG

soupey
07-26-2006, 10:22 AM
so u basically want to tap onto those? its an easy job, jus cut some of the insulation off the wire and wrap another around it, solder it, then rewrap with electrical tape...do that to both...get a coax adapter so that u can plug it into something...done!

or is there something im missing here...

Kami
07-26-2006, 12:13 PM
I suppose my question is more along the lines of, will the screen accept an analog signal from a PC through those wires, or is it expecting a non-standard signal from the NAV system? Not all analog signals are the same, and I don't want to cut the wires just yet if the screen would require an additional conversion of a signal coming from a PC.