PDA

View Full Version : Networking Eng or Drafting Tech?

cityhunter2501
07-16-2006, 11:32 PM
undecided between Networking Eng Tech or Drafting Tech and I'm going to pay tuition fees this week at SAIT..

my main worry being, which of these two is the most in the demand in Calgary atm?

pretty much alot of my relatives are drafters and can easily hire me, but I also like computer networking but is it still in demand or is there lots of competition?

nj2Type-S
07-16-2006, 11:38 PM
EDDT!!!

my buddy finished that network engineering stuff a couple of years ago..did NOT get a job..he's now going back to school..going to devry for a business degree...i think...

EDDT! ! ! !

Tik-Tok
07-17-2006, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't touch computer degrees with a ten foot pole. There 4 times as many people out there with those as there are jobs.

Toms-SC
07-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Most everybody in my Network Engineering Class have jobs related to the IT Field. You have to search for the jobs but there are plenty there.

Grip172
07-17-2006, 11:54 AM
eddt seems pretty promising, and its easier than the civil program i'm in at sait..you dont' ahve to take as much math but be prepared to draw and cadd

nj2Type-S
07-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Most everybody in my Network Engineering Class have jobs related to the IT Field. You have to search for the jobs but there are plenty there.

damnnn, i guess my buddy missed the boat then...

forced14
07-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Network Engineering is in popular demand, CNC global came right to class hiring for IBM jobs. And they have hired 10 of us so far. As well I know most other people in class were hired into IT related jobs, most networking related. However dont expect BIG bucks until you get experience. But if you enjoy the networking industry, then it does not really matter if you make huge amounts of money right out of school.

--forced

cityhunter2501
07-18-2006, 11:44 PM
just wondering, but is a laptop required for Networking Eng?

and for those having completed it, you guys planning to sell your books? :D

GQBalla
07-19-2006, 03:01 AM
laptop is required for network engineering tech
im takin it in aug - should be interesting

lexIS300
07-19-2006, 03:08 AM
i guess ill be seeing a few of you in august than?

GQBalla
07-19-2006, 03:12 AM
lol if your in network engineering tech - lol me for shure!!!

i would rep my beyond.ca lanyard but it was stolen......

lexIS300
07-19-2006, 03:14 AM
you'll be able to recognize me. asian dude with a shaved head

GQBalla
07-19-2006, 03:16 AM
ill be a typical chinese person - ahhaha

Toms-SC
07-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Yes, your REQUIRED to use the SAIT Laptop (our Toshiba's were a hunk of shit).

Don't waste your money on the following books:
The book for server os (doug or connie will teach this)
Lab manual's for CISCO Lab (they can be printed for free off cisco net acad website)

cityhunter2501
07-19-2006, 09:18 AM
just checked the preliminary schedules, doesnt look too bad.
monday to wednesday starts at 8
thursday at 9, friday at 11.
and classes ends at 3, except tuesday at 4.
:thumbsup:

hope I can choose which laptop to get

86max
07-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501
undecided between Networking Eng Tech or Drafting Tech and I'm going to pay tuition fees this week at SAIT..

my main worry being, which of these two is the most in the demand in Calgary atm?

I'd have to say drafters are in higher demand atm, and will be for some time. Might as well take advantage of the industry's boom and jump in. Even if you have no work ethic, no desire to become a better draftsman, or like the sound of a free ride, the need for draftsman in the o&g industry is so high they'll hire you anyway! Just bullshit your resume a bit, and bam!.... you're in.

Seems like that's the thing to do now by looking at some of the recent hires here.

bulaian
07-19-2006, 09:29 AM
I graduated from network engineering about a year ago now. Me and ALL of my classmates that graduated were able to find jobs within a month of graduation.

I still have a bunch of textbooks if you guys are interested. PM if you need/want any more info.

forced14
07-21-2006, 01:11 AM
I would be willing to sell some of my Networking Eng. books, CCNA semester 1&2, as well as my CCNA semester 3&4 books for a decent price, pm for details, as well as I have the calc book for sale, but im not sure if it is used anymore, and also the 2nd year stats book for sale.

Although the CCNA books are not needed, you can get all of the stuff online, however not sure if many people like to read off of a computer screen for hours. hmm... cant remember what other books were needed, although I will look later on

And you can use your own laptop, but you will still have to pay for the SAIT one, so if you have your own already and you like it more than the SAIT one, just put the SAIT one in a box somewhere until your done your course. The main reason SAIT gives you a laptop is that it has a DOS partition, XP partition and a Red Hat partition, which you will need the DOS and Red Hat partitions for certain class, unless you have VMware.

--forced