PDA

View Full Version : drive from toronto

2.2vtec
07-17-2006, 07:33 PM
has anyone done the drive from toronto to calgary? how was it experiences, where did you stop over? any info would be great.

pepschnops
07-17-2006, 07:37 PM
i did it and drove the trans canada one time and went through the states another time crossing over in Sou St Marie and coming back up around Esetvan. The trans canada way is much more scenic however the road are much windier and it takes more time than going through the states. Going through Michigan and Wisconsin is pretty boring however driving through Minnesota and North Dakota is really nice. If I was doing it for a scenic route i would for sure take the trans canada.
If you are going for travelling the quickest time go through the states.

2.2vtec
07-17-2006, 07:48 PM
just gonna drive a car back..would like the fastest way, dont really care about scenic routes.

rc2002
07-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Fastest way is going through the States. I believe the I90 is what you want - try Mapquest and select the "quickest route" option. Hop on the interstate and you can avoid those treacherous roads through Ontario and Manitoba. ;)

James
07-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by pepschnops
crossing over in Sou St Marie and coming back up around Esetvan. s.

Its Sault Ste. Marie ;)...sorry i was born there i had to correct you.

I use to Live in Toronto as a kid, and have driven back a few times. I've taken both ways.. goin through the States is alright, and im pretty sure its quicker. The Trans Canada is Nice in Northern Ontario along Lake Superior, but there is always Construction so its a bit of a pain......Normally we Drove to Winnipeg the First Day ( apx. 15 hours) Then To Thunder Bay the Next,( 12-15 i think, maybe less) then its another 10 hours or so to Sault Ste. Marie...then Toronto is another 8, the whole drive could be made in less time, but this was my Mom/Dad Driving with 2 kids.

tjtd00
07-18-2006, 05:41 AM
i just did the drive to ontario and back in june. coming back the fastest way is through the states. stay on the I 90 and set your speed at 9 miles over the limit the cops will leave you alone. Just remeber that the I90 is a toll highway from buffalo till just past chicago so you will spend about 25 buxs if you go that route. and chicago right now is a nightmare for construction so get there mid day if you can

Fcuk
07-18-2006, 05:53 AM
the states is the fastest its true, ive driven to toronto and back at least 50 times ( family in toronto )

I prefer the canadian way beacuse once your on transcanada its just a really easy but boring drive. Toronto to thunder bay is probably the most annoying.

Me my brother and friend recently drove from there about a month ago we made it in 1 day flat. We only stopped once for subway and the rest for gasstations however we drove overnight too so that helped alot.

Theres also some shortcuts in brandon i think it is that saves you about 30 KM