PDA

View Full Version : Who Makes the Most Reliable Asian Automaker?

Weapon_R
04-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Not a flame war. I couldn't care less if Kia came out on top.

Does anyone have any reputable links or info to a study that has been done. I'm pretty sure that it's pretty close between Honda, Nissan, and Toyota, but I want to know who makes the more reliable car.

girlRACER
04-13-2003, 10:35 PM
The title doesn't really make sense.

"Who Makes the Most Reliable Asian Automaker?"

Are you trying to say, Which Asian 'Car Manufacturer' makes the most reliable car??

Weapon_R
04-13-2003, 10:36 PM
LOL yeah thats what I meant...title is messed, im almost asleep right now :).

Glowrider
04-13-2003, 10:41 PM
I think Toyota and Honda are pretty evenly matched when it comes to reliability.

Ekliptix
04-13-2003, 10:41 PM
I've only had experience with Honda, and it has proven to be very reliable imo.

Ajay
04-13-2003, 10:47 PM
I drive a Honda but I'm not hugely biased.

Honda and Toyota are the BEST Japanese car makers!

GTS Jeff
04-13-2003, 10:47 PM
toyota
honda
mazda
nissan
kia/hyundai (same company yo)
bing-chow auto

James
04-13-2003, 10:49 PM
Id Say Toyota, but i have nothing against the relaibility of Honda.....I like one of Toyota's new commercials, has a guy with an '89 Corrola that has something like 953,xxx km and says something like "Toyota overlooked something, they only put 6 digits on the odometer"

D'z Nutz
04-13-2003, 10:51 PM
I read in the Sun a few years ago that Toyota had surpassed some standard that the automotive industry set for a number of years.

It was a few years ago that I read this, so I don't remember the exact details, but they had some way of statistically analyzing how many cars are expected to have defects by the down time that happens during the assembly line process. If something wrong happens to a car while it's being made on the assembly line by the mechanized tools, the entire line has to be stopped and the problem has to be manually fixed by human workers before it can resume. I think they had some way of calculating an average using the amount of downtime with the amount of total assembly time or something like that. Toyota came out with some high number like 96%-98% year after year consistantly.

Again this was a few years ago, so I'm not sure how accurate this information is or if Toyota is still at the top.

GTS Jeff
04-13-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by James
Id Say Toyota, but i have nothing against the relaibility of Honda.....I like one of Toyota's new commercials, has a guy with an '89 Corrola that has something like 953,xxx km and says something like "Toyota overlooked something, they only put 6 digits on the odometer" fuck that shit...my toyota is barely making its way past 207xxx km!

gpomp
04-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
fuck that shit...my toyota is barely making its way past 207xxx km!

Yeah, but your car is a POS.

calarina
04-13-2003, 10:56 PM
I'd say Honda/Acura. My car is a prime example. Not to brag about my car, like I always do :D, but I have 330,000 km on my odometer, and I bag on my baby a lot. She still runs, quite well, and even better than some newer integras.

I still think Honda/Acura makes the best, longest lasting vehicles, but then all Asian Car Manufacturers make cars that last a long time.

There's a REALLY old Civic just down the road from me, I don't know what year or generation. It looks like to be early 80's, and it still runs!

It's great to see older asian cars driving around, because it tells you that your asian product just might last as long! :D

air_mikey
04-13-2003, 10:57 PM
i think it woudl have to be honda.

EstoMax
04-13-2003, 11:00 PM
i think who makes the most reliable asian automaker is japans mom's. yeah. khm.

subaru w00t

max

Weapon_R
04-13-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Lt. Max
i think who makes the most reliable asian automaker is japans mom's. yeah. khm.

subaru w00t

max

Isn't Subaru made by GM?

EstoMax
04-13-2003, 11:09 PM
subaru is japan im quite sure

szw
04-13-2003, 11:11 PM
subaru may be partly owned by gm or something..but its still made by subaru. in japan.

Ven
04-13-2003, 11:17 PM
Maybe this will help.

Weapon_R
04-13-2003, 11:22 PM
Thanks Ven,

Thats exactly what I was looking for.

GM lists Subaru as one of it's companies, so even if it's made in Japan, i've always considered it GM made...

Talon007
04-13-2003, 11:41 PM
Look at the manufacturers that were below the average

Weapon_R
04-13-2003, 11:52 PM
lol a few companies I didn't expect to be "below avg"

Mercedes Benz
Audi
Land Rover

max_boost
04-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Yup!
LEXUS ROCKS! haha aka. toyota! Same thing.....

My Camry has 240XXX kms and is still running strong! Beater for life! My very first car to call my own haha

hjr
04-14-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Thanks Ven,

Thats exactly what I was looking for.

GM lists Subaru as one of it's companies, so even if it's made in Japan, i've always considered it GM made...

its not GM made. its not even close to the situation with dodge and mitsubishi (sharing platforms and even cars), and you probably dont consider Mitsubishi to be a Daimler-Chrysler made do you?

hjr
04-14-2003, 12:03 AM
Also, where is VW on that study??? was it that bad??? ;)

Superesc
04-14-2003, 12:04 AM
I am happy to see Toyota up on the list!!! ... where's FORD (...reference to my windstar...)???? :rofl:

szw
04-14-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by hjr
Also, where is VW on that study??? was it that bad??? ;)

vw is listed below as being underaverage

bksze
04-14-2003, 12:19 AM
i dont' really understand this chart,

for Lexus it shows 159

right above it says problems per 100 cars . . . so does that mean there are 159 problems for every 100 cars sold?

that's a crazy percentage of defects . . . that means ever car sold by lexus has an average of 1.59 problems . . . that's not a good statistic and the industry average is even worse . . . why would you want to buy a car if on average, you're going to get 3.55 problems with it???

someone help me out with the interpretation cuz maybe i'm just an idiot

5.9 R/T
04-14-2003, 12:19 AM
They must not have included all the infinity bose stereo problems in that survey. Going on our 7th system...

hjr
04-14-2003, 12:26 AM
a problem might be a simple as bad connectors on the turn signals, or a door sill that has bad rivets (or whatever). Just look at all the recalls any vehicle gets. there are quite a few.

D'z Nutz
04-14-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by bksze

for Lexus it shows 159

right above it says problems per 100 cars . . . so does that mean there are 159 problems for every 100 cars sold?

that's a crazy percentage of defects . . . that means ever car sold by lexus has an average of 1.59 problems . . . that's not a good statistic and the industry average is even worse . . . why would you want to buy a car if on average, you're going to get 3.55 problems with it???

Well, it would probably be a little more clearer if they gave some examples of "problems". Perhaps they included stuff that many would consider insignificant as a problem?

5.9 R/T
04-14-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by vsmSIR

i ca only imagin where ford, pontiac, gmc, and chevrolet sit lol....iam thinking there worse then industry standard.

Read the fine print in the chart.

hjr
04-14-2003, 12:35 AM
it lists the cars below the industry average on the bottom. I think that how many problems the car has from factory doesnt really mean that it will be un-reliable. the reliability is also heavily affected by the design and engineering of the vehicle (engine, suspension, drivetrain, brakes, electrics)

Fuji
04-14-2003, 01:10 AM

Isn't Subaru made by GM?

No... Subaru is a subsidiary made up by 7 companies... Fuji Heavy industries in Japan. They also R&D in areospace technology etc..

Toyota is the highest in manufaturer's quality from what I remember.

They have implemented a number of process standars such as sigma7 where only a fraction of a percent of their products are defective, plus they use a number of production controls like kanban etc. This is from a strictly process mgmt standpoint

SpoonEK9@STRD
04-14-2003, 01:13 AM
toyota
honda
mazda
nissan
kia/hyundai (same company yo)
bing-chow auto

mazda, nissan, kia... really bad for reliablity.

girlRACER
04-14-2003, 01:35 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Infiniti. I've had my 2000 Infiniti (G20) for 3 years and I haven't had a single problem with it since the day I picked it up. Infiniti makes really reliable cars with some exceptions. ie. QX4

sexualbanana
04-14-2003, 01:43 AM
fuck that shit...my toyota is barely making its way past 207xxx km!

don't forget who's driving it. remember the way u treated the beastmobile? i seem to remember an incident in the sait lot involving a parking block. . . . :rofl:

girlRACER
04-14-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

don't forget who's driving it. remember the way u treated the beastmobile? i seem to remember an incident in the sait lot involving a parking block. . . . :rofl:

haha...I remember that. Caravans rock!

Altezza
04-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Go Lexus! :clap: :clap:

three.eighteen.
04-14-2003, 11:38 AM
wow, im amazed at the difference in build quality between the 'regular' asian makes and their 'premium' counterparts...gj acura, lexus and infiniti

Wildcat
04-14-2003, 12:43 PM
Id have to say Toyota, perfect example the newer Supras; These things are freak cars, they were over enginerd, toyota spent more money designing the car than they made in profit (which explains why they stop making them) like the factory rear end for exapmle can take 900-1000whp before destroying itself

Im pretty sure this doesnt apply to all toyotas, but its a good example, all i know is that its not a chevy.. trust me i own one (but i love it :nut: )

KoukiS14
04-14-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9

mazda, nissan, kia... really bad for reliablity.

I beg to differ on the Nissan comment!!

Speed_Dreams
04-14-2003, 07:53 PM
I work in the parts Department at a Chev dealer and I know for a fact that there are som really shitty designs....American Cars aren't even in the same class as Japanese cars. the fit and Finish of the japanese cars is far better then American Cars. but All of you saying that Subaru is owned by GM well so is Isuzu and GM owns 1/3rd of toyota. but its just like Mazda and ford and Benz and mopar. I would say toyota...even tho i broke the crank in my supra....but Toyota and honda are the most reliable

SpoonEK9@STRD
04-14-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by NismoS14

I beg to differ on the Nissan comment!!

been through a lot to know if there reliable or not... and look at the post, some one posted... NISSAN AND MAZDA ARE AT THE BOTTOM...

stuborn coz you own a nissan... my familys got 3 at the moment, and they are not good for reliablity, they always get fucked up some way or another, and they cost a fuck load to fix

SpoonEK9@STRD
04-14-2003, 08:56 PM
beg to differ on this lol :banghead: :banghead:

Wildcat
04-14-2003, 09:02 PM
that chart looks pretty accurate, notice that all the above manufactures problem rate is less than the industry average (sadly u can thank domestics for that :nut: )

Aleks
04-14-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9

been through a lot to know if there reliable or not... and look at the post, some one posted... NISSAN AND MAZDA ARE AT THE BOTTOM...

stuborn coz you own a nissan... my familys got 3 at the moment, and they are not good for reliablity, they always get fucked up some way or another, and they cost a fuck load to fix

Looks like you had bad luck with Nissans. I've had my Altima for 2 yrs now and nothing's gone wrong with it. My friend drives a 98 Altima and he's only had routine maintenace done. Another friend drives a Stanza with 260,000 + kms on the odo and it's still going strong. So either you've had bad luck or my friends and I have had very good luck with Nissans. :dunno:

FiveFreshFish
04-15-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by bksze

for Lexus it shows 159

Depends on how the manufacturer tracks a defect, and how they define it.

For example, say if the wipers on your C320 start streaking within the warranty period, the dealership might replace them for free and counts it as a warranty repair. They would consider it a defect in order to be able to charge back M-B Canada for the parts & labour.

Now say if the same thing happened to your Accord, and the dealership says it's a wear & tear. Now you have to pay for the wiper blades and there's no defect charged to Honda Canada.

These are hypothetical examples for illustration only.

J.D. McNugent
04-15-2003, 01:27 AM
buy a german car man .....forget about the hondas!!......and while you are at it learn some grammer!

SpoonEK9@STRD
04-15-2003, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by altima

Looks like you had bad luck with Nissans. I've had my Altima for 2 yrs now and nothing's gone wrong with it. My friend drives a 98 Altima and he's only had routine maintenace done. Another friend drives a Stanza with 260,000 + kms on the odo and it's still going strong. So either you've had bad luck or my friends and I have had very good luck with Nissans. :dunno:

nope thats just nissan in general, its not the motor, but parts that are defective that you have to replace, coz they broke prematurely or wore to quik..

like for all the nissans, its usually electrical, on the 240, it was electrical and mechanical...

nissans or any car can run for ever, if you keep on fixing it.

*addition...
you guys gotta stop thinking so highly of the car you drive, most of the guys on nissan forums can admit nissans arnt very reliable, and so can the mazda guys

Altezza
04-15-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by J.D. McNugent

and while you are at it learn some grammer!

:rofl: I find this statement so ironic...

ZorroAMG
04-15-2003, 11:11 AM
buy a german car man .....forget about the hondas!!......and while you are at it learn some grammer!

Yeah Altezza, isn't it spelled GRAMMAR? I also think he is in dire need of a lesson in comma use...

Those that post stupid sh!t like this should really double check their own spelling and grammAr before hitting the "submit reply" button.

We are discussing car reliability here, NOT grade school lessons:banghead:

Weapon_R
04-15-2003, 11:13 AM

look at where your car ranks...

RiceCake
04-15-2003, 12:00 PM
I'd still have to vouch for toyota as my family has owned a lot of cars now and toyota keeps bringing us back...

Best way to keep a car reliable though, is through regular maintenance though. :)

2000impreza
04-15-2003, 04:42 PM

Isn't Subaru made by GM?

Yeah... its a GM duh!!!

Originally posted by Fuji

No... Subaru is a subsidiary made up by 7 companies... Fuji Heavy industries in Japan. They also R&D in areospace technology etc..

Toyota is the highest in manufaturer's quality from what I remember.

They have implemented a number of process standars such as sigma7 where only a fraction of a percent of their products are defective, plus they use a number of production controls like kanban etc. This is from a strictly process mgmt standpoint

to add IIRC GM owns ~10% non controlling shares of FHI - fuji heavy industries which subaru is part of. so i don't know where the brainless thought of GM building subaru's came from... its sort of how renault has nissan shares... but nissan is still nissan. plus there is a sticker on my car that says "made in japan - Fuji heavy industries"... so i guess that equals GM. fuck.. i feel more stupid reading posts here by the day.

Weapon_R
04-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
so i guess that equals GM. fuck.. i feel more stupid reading posts here by the day.

Wow, did you take a "lets be a fucking dick" pill today?

I asked a fucking question, and I got the fucking response way before you had to add your input. It's nothing you need to cry about...

max_boost
04-15-2003, 06:09 PM

I asked a fucking question, and I got the fucking response way before you had to add your input. It's nothing you need to cry about... Here comes the net wangsta or whatever you call them:rofl: Why don't YOU chill

Fuji
04-15-2003, 11:37 PM

I asked a fucking question, and I got the fucking response way before you had to add your input. It's nothing you need to cry about...

You need a timeout... :rofl:

Hollywood
04-15-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza

Yeah... its a GM duh!!!

but nissan is still nissan. plus there is a sticker on my car that says "made in japan - Fuji heavy industries"... so i guess that equals GM. fuck.. i feel more stupid reading posts here by the day.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK im the only basterd around here, so swearing and being a dick is my job, so quit stealing my glory hehe FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

:eek: :D :rofl:

max_boost
04-15-2003, 11:53 PM
This thread should die.....there is nothing else to say! :D