PDA

View Full Version : 06 Corolla LE, Civic EX or Impreza 2.5i??

Boostn
07-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Looking to get a good, reliable daily driver and spend around $25K. Fuel economy, practicality, and 4 doors top the priority list. So far I've narrowed the list to these three cars, FWD vs AWD. Which one of these would you recommend and why? Any firsthand experiences you could share would be great. I plan to wait until they clear out the '06 models in a few months time. I was also considering the Fit Sport and Yaris RS but checked them out and they're way too small. Besides the price differential isn't that huge between them and the Corolla/Civic anyway, may as well take a step up. I heard about a new Sentra coming in '07, I wonder if it'll be worth waiting for? The alleged spy shots I've seen so far are a major departure from the current series.

That.Guy.S30
07-18-2006, 05:39 PM
you cant go wrong with any of those cars.

i honestly would go for the subaru. it has decent power 170something, a/c, pw, heated mirrors, and has awd for winter.

i have the 2.5i wagon and i got it for a really good price. mixed driving i get 600ish km before the light comes on. maintaince is abit more on the subaru as well.

if you end up choosing the subaru, there are some owners on here who want to get rid of their 06 2.5i's and give them a pm. save some money

Weapon_R
07-18-2006, 05:58 PM
The new civic is a very nice car, even in EX trim. The resale value on the civic is always going to be great, they are solid cars and the new styling looks great.

riced
07-18-2006, 06:39 PM
I have the 06 Civic, and I agree.. you can't really go wrong with any of the cars. The new 8th gen is so different it doesn't really feel like a civic.
there is really no use in going to the EX model except for the cruise control, intermittent wipers, alloy rims and all the extra things. I own the DX-G model and it has everything you need; AC, power everything, CD player and all the things to keep you entertained. It has tire covers, but that doesn't bother me cause they're going to be winter tires for me anyway. cruise control is something I wouldn't bother using... its too fun to drive.
and for fuel consumption... you could get 600km on one tank ($40-regular), I drive a manual so I dunno if its diff for automatic.

theres tons of other things about the car... but thast my input about the civic, so you can consider it... i'm sure there are others that can input about the corolla and imprezza.

van
07-18-2006, 11:01 PM
2006 Honda Civic EX is super! I've had my car for about 2 weeks and it runs great and it's such a fun car to drive now that I'm done with the break-in period. I might not know too much about cars or had a car that has had over 108hp but for a car that has 140hp it's definitely good. It has all the spurt needed for daily driving and spirited driving. The handling on the car is very good as well.

What I like most about the new civics are the 2-tier system for your rpm gauge and your speedo. The blue lights that light up the rpm gauge and the speedo gauge as well as the stereo display is awesome. It's glows up so bright it's really nice.

There's HUGE room in the car, even if the seats all the way back people in the back of your car STILL sit comfortably. The arm rest is also very nice to have in the car for long and short trips on the road, it's also nice that you can extend the arm rest closer to the front of the car.

The cup holders are killer too, not just those cheap ones that only fit one sized cups, you can fit all sorts of sizes in those cup holders and they keep the cups in their very snug, whether it be your mcdonalds cup or a coffee mug. There's also a cover that slides across your cup holders to hide it when it's not in use.

Having the two accessory outlets is dandy too, one to charge up your ipod and the other to charge up your phone. or if you have another passenger you both can charge up your phones. Or whatever use you have for the outlets.

I really like the position of the new ebrake, its out of the way of the way of everything and it just sits there nicely by itself. A good thing about the civic too is the 4 wheel ebs and abs. This car stops on a dime.

Also nice is the 60/40 flip down back seats for easy storage of larger objects. The trunk has tons of space, I'm about 5'5" and if I crouch down a little I could probably fit two of me in there.

Your flat tire kit comes in a handy dandy compartment that fits all the tools that you need and it fits right ontop of your spare tire and hidden away under neath the fold up door to the spare.

The lines on the new civic are incredible, they look nothing like the previous generations of civics. The car itself is a lot bigger, the civic is about I'd say 8 inches longer than the 2000 rav4 in comparison. Also the way the new civic is designed is very aerodynamic. When you are driving against the wind the wind just passes by the car, it's quiet and i never hear the gusts of wind.

This line of civic is so much more luxury, it's good on gas and it's super fun to drive. I'd totally recommend it to anyone else as well. I like the civic's headlights a lot more than its sister car the acura csx. I just find that side by side with a saturn it actually does resemble saturn headlights. however, i do like the csx tail lights more than the civic although the civic tailights are pretty nice itself.

on the EX, the steering wheel mounted stereo controls is definitely great! Don't need to reach over to hit the stereo when all the controls are right there by your left hand. Same with the cruise control for your right hand.

Another neat thing about the civic's stereo and I am not sure if most cars have this now or not. But there's a setting that you can change and the faster your car is going (or the point of vtec kicking in) your stereo will know to turn the volume up automatically louder to compensate, when you slow down then the stereo will automatically lower as well to compensate. although I don't use this feature I think it's really neat to have.

According to the guy in the service bay, the headlights on the civic (not sure if this applies to all new cars) but the material used is very very hard. He said it's highly unlikely that driving on the highway that rocks will crack the headlight. Score!

As for underspray and that stuff, according to my uncle a lot of the pieces underneath the car are covered by plastic panels and there's only a small space where the driver side is where there's metal showing that needs to be sprayed. underneath the wheel wells they spray it for you right from the factory as well. so all the underbody spraying is for your precaution if you feel its necessary.

What else to say about this awesome car? Not sure, if you need to know anything more I think there is a guy on beyond that works at Honda. You could probably shoot him more questions about anything you need to know.

azian8704
07-18-2006, 11:13 PM
2.5rs all da way

JeremyD
07-19-2006, 09:16 AM
I prefer AWD in the winter time but with good tires you shouldn't have a problem with the civic either.

I would check with your insurance company as well. Get quotes for both cars. I know when I was looking the civic was considerably more due to higher theft rating.

Otherwise either one would be good.

Mitsu3000gt
07-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Go for the boxer motor and AWD. Not bad power either, 165 or 170 I believe.

Mark

spyce
07-19-2006, 09:33 AM
I would definitely not go for the corolla. I just dont really like the looks of the car.

If you can live with the front end of the subaru, I would go for that. AWD is a big plus!

bspot
07-19-2006, 09:40 AM
FWD vs AWD

Why to get FWD:

Better on gas

Why to get AWD:

Better handling
Better winter traction
Better launches
Better everything

2.5i, hands down, easy choice. 170 hp with an awesome AWD system. Good car.

4doorj
07-19-2006, 09:47 AM
get the awd:thumbsup:

Aleks
07-19-2006, 10:03 AM
No one really needs AWD in the city. But if you like driving (not just to get from A to B) you'll notice it for sure around town.

I would go Impreza or Civic.

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-19-2006, 11:40 AM
As a Honda fanboy... you probably know my answer... Civic FTW even the EX is nice... but if you can afford the Subaru, i would go for it... I think the wagons are ugly, but still nice in their own way... sedans are much nicer :D decent power, nice options, and AWD for those Calgary winters.

Civic = great reliability, decent price, nice mileage
Subaru = good power, lots of fun.
Corolla = ... not a big fan of the newer corolla's...

Boostn
07-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Appreciate all the great info! Those long writeups really had some great detail so thanks for that. It'll be a tough choice between the three, I might even take a closer look at that wagon version of the Subaru Impreza as well. Although you don't really need AWD the majority of the time, it's nice to have just in case. Even so, our winters and snow dumps seem to be getting milder and milder as the years pass so FWD may be more than enough. I've owned many FWD vehicles, just swap on some snow tires in the winter and I've never had a problem. Every car has it's pros and cons, with the Sub I presume fuel consumption will be higher than the Civic or Corolla due to the AWD and bigger engine? I've never owned an AWD before but will maintenance cost more? How are Subarus with their reliability? Honda/Toyota have a great rep for that so I'm not concerned with them. The new Civic does look nice though, one thing I dislike is that little triangular window located just above the rearview mirrors. The coupe doesn't seem to have that but the sedan does, I wonder why? Another beef is that two tier dash configuration, it's probably something you'll have to get used to. The Corolla has a very functional and decent interior but the exterior is just plain jane and looks like grannies car. At least it won't attract any attention though, which I'm sure the Civic will. Keep the suggestions coming!

SunniSunShine
07-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by spyce
I would definitely not go for the corolla. I just dont really like the looks of the car.

If you can live with the front end of the subaru, I would go for that. AWD is a big plus!

dont you drive an IS250, isnt that the same thing as a camry but with less HP?

Mitsu3000gt
07-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by SunniSunShine

dont you drive an IS250, isnt that the same thing as a camry but with less HP?

The IS is a totally different car than the camry.

Mark

Fuji
07-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by bspot
FWD vs AWD

Why to get FWD:

Better on gas

Why to get AWD:

Better handling
Better winter traction
Better launches
Better everything

2.5i, hands down, easy choice. 170 hp with an awesome AWD system. Good car.

Subaru is higher maintenance and gas mileage is shitty compared to the other two cars. I think reliability is also better on Hondas.

Those reasons for AWD are misleading
Better everything - Untrue
Better Handling - true
Better winter traction - true, but stopping is the key thing and AWD doesn't help you stop.
Better Launches - Try it and see how long your transmission lasts

AWD is nice, but you pay the price for it. higher maintenance, parts are expensive, and there are more things to break

Fuji
07-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

The IS is a totally different car than the camry.

Mark

It's a blinged out camry. To me they look the same, but it has a lexus badge a few more amenities and awd.

Mitsu3000gt
07-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Boostn
Appreciate all the great info! Those long writeups really had some great detail so thanks for that. It'll be a tough choice between the three, I might even take a closer look at that wagon version of the Subaru Impreza as well. Although you don't really need AWD the majority of the time, it's nice to have just in case. Even so, our winters and snow dumps seem to be getting milder and milder as the years pass so FWD may be more than enough. I've owned many FWD vehicles, just swap on some snow tires in the winter and I've never had a problem. Every car has it's pros and cons, with the Sub I presume fuel consumption will be higher than the Civic or Corolla due to the AWD and bigger engine? I've never owned an AWD before but will maintenance cost more? How are Subarus with their reliability? Honda/Toyota have a great rep for that so I'm not concerned with them. The new Civic does look nice though, one thing I dislike is that little triangular window located just above the rearview mirrors. The coupe doesn't seem to have that but the sedan does, I wonder why? Another beef is that two tier dash configuration, it's probably something you'll have to get used to. The Corolla has a very functional and decent interior but the exterior is just plain jane and looks like grannies car. At least it won't attract any attention though, which I'm sure the Civic will. Keep the suggestions coming!

Subaru's AWD system is rock solid. Not that it's really relevant but my brother has a 1992 Subaru SVX and not a single problem from the AWD in 14 years. The AWD system would be the least of my concerns. The subaru has a slightly larger engine, and considerably more HP. I would think, depending on how you drive, the subaru would get better mileage than the other 2 choices because they are so gutless that to keep up in traffic, merge, etc. you will be driving it alot harder than you would the subaru. As for the AWD system takining up gas consumption, the difference would be negligable if the car were FWD. Also, I don't believe in how it works, but for those who like JD power and associates, I believe subaru ranked above Honda last year. Also Im a fan of the boxer motor you get in the subaru. Its horizontally opposed so you get a lower center of gravity and if you ever decide to put an exhaust on it, it sounds like a V8 or a v twin motorcycle instead of the most terrible noise in the world which IMO comes from civics or equivellent cars with I4 engines and huge exhausts.

I went from a FWD car to an AWD car, and FWD never stopped me from getting where I needed to go in winter, even with all seasons, but AWD is like a night and day difference in the winter. An AWD car with winter tires is absolutely outstanding. That being said if you drive on the gas all the time in the winter it doesn't matter what you have you'll slide all over the place. Turning and starting from a stop, you will not know you're not on pavement unless your gassing it. Thats how it is with my car anyways, I'd imagine the subaru is the same.

Mark

bspot
07-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Fuji

Subaru is higher maintenance and gas mileage is shitty compared to the other two cars. I think reliability is also better on Hondas.

Better Handling - true
Better winter traction - true, but stopping is the key thing and AWD doesn't help you stop.

AWD is nice, but you pay the price for it. higher maintenance, parts are expensive, and there are more things to break

Reliability is best on Toyotas. Subaru is up there now, not sure how close they are to Honda.

You are correct that AWD doesn't help you stop, but neither does FWD. Its not like AWD stops any worse. It will keep you out of a ditch if you hit a patch of ice mid corner.

As for launches, any FWD car with an open differential and a little bit of power loses traction VERY easily, especially when accelerating around a curve. This is gone with AWD and makes for a lot more fun of a driving experience. If you drive like a grandma and obey all recommended off ramp speeds, then fine, get your FWD.

I own a FWD and get the opportunity to drive an '06 2.5i quite often and its a totally different experience. Its a lot more fun!

With the 2.5i expect about 9-10L/100Km. Not terrible, but definitely not great.

Boostn
07-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah I'm not too sure how legit those JD power surveys are but while doing some research I found the 2006 scores on their website.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pdf/2006082.pdf

Xtrema
07-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Fuel Economy, Impreza is out. It sucks more gas than my 3.5L V6.

Corolla, I think they should have some good deals on it if you don't mind it being a bit boring. And sounds like new Corolla won't be here til Fall 07.

Civic would be your best choice for $25K. A performer it isn't but a very good all around econo car.

Mazda 3 is probably another good choice. Styling is better than Civic IMO but tranny, engine and interier space is average.

bspot
07-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Corolla, I think they should have some good deals on it if you don't mind it being a bit boring. And sounds like new Corolla won't be here til Fall 07.

Civic would be your best choice for $25K. A performer it isn't but a very good all around econo car.

Mazda 3 is probably another good choice. Styling is better than Civic IMO but tranny, engine and interier space is average.

You're pulling lower than 10L/100K?

That.Guy.S30
07-19-2006, 07:15 PM

You're pulling lower than 10L/100K?

its actually less than that. i get around over 600ish kms on a 50l tank. mind you i dont shift at 4000 or anything.

i dont know how he gets less than that in his SUV.

Aleks
07-19-2006, 07:29 PM
The altima is rated at something like 11.5L/100kms in the city.
My WRX gets about that roughly. the N/A impreza has to be better than that.

alloroc
07-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

We are averaging 9L/100K in our Legacy in the city.

The Impreza has to do better than that

Truthfully ...

Test drive them.

and for some fun find a rocky alley with each car ... stop then step on it <G>

Subaru all the way - I am a convert.
Another option is the Saab 9-3X ... it is the subaru rebadged.

( This is coming from a former lifetime Toyota nut )

Check out the 'import car thread' you should be able to import a Legacy GT for about the same price. ... screw the gas milage AWD turbo FTW .. haha

redblack
07-19-2006, 10:41 PM
My GF 05 impreza rs gets about 9-10L/100k driving in the city
but its an auto. I think if you were to get a 5 speed you may get a little better milage

AE92_TreunoSC
07-19-2006, 10:55 PM
I borrowed my moms matrix (a corolla wagon) for a week, I got 650 km on 43$ of gas.

I work at a import shop, and I would say that the civic and corolla are matched for durability and reliabilty now. The corolla is more simple then ever and will last for ever! But the civic is a lot more edgy and better looking.

As for the subaru, I dont care for them (this is from a mechanics\car entusiasts perspective) I dont like the way they look, sound or anything for that matter they just rub me wrong.

Fuji
07-20-2006, 08:48 AM

Reliability is best on Toyotas. Subaru is up there now, not sure how close they are to Honda.

You are correct that AWD doesn't help you stop, but neither does FWD. Its not like AWD stops any worse. It will keep you out of a ditch if you hit a patch of ice mid corner.

As for launches, any FWD car with an open differential and a little bit of power loses traction VERY easily, especially when accelerating around a curve. This is gone with AWD and makes for a lot more fun of a driving experience. If you drive like a grandma and obey all recommended off ramp speeds, then fine, get your FWD.

I own a FWD and get the opportunity to drive an '06 2.5i quite often and its a totally different experience. Its a lot more fun!

With the 2.5i expect about 9-10L/100Km. Not terrible, but definitely not great.

well if you dont need AWD why pay the extra premium and maintenance. AWD will NOT keep you out of a ditch if you hit ice in the corner. I have owned subies for 7 years now. The traction from stop to start is great and dry/wet traction is pretty good. Ice will own you.

I have an impreza and I have an IS. I drive them back to back and hey both drive the same in any weather and in corners unless you are at the limit. Day to day driving the subie feels a bit better cuz its lighter and it has better stop to start traction in the snow. Overall grip is comparable in the corners. It's all dependant on the tires.

All I am saying is don't pay for something you dont need. Also look at service. There have been many complaints about subaru customer service and warranties as well.

Mitsu3000gt
07-20-2006, 08:51 AM

It's a blinged out camry. To me they look the same, but it has a lexus badge a few more amenities and awd.

No, the ES is a blinged out camry. The IS is a totally different car than the camry.

Mark

joegrang
07-20-2006, 09:01 AM

Better Handling - true

Actually AWD does help you to stop... Usually in winter I use engine braking because it seems to generate the most stopping power without sliding. Now think about it if you use engine braking with a fwd you have all the engine stopping power on 2 wheels. The 2 front ones which is the worse scenario even engine braking with a rwd will give you more predictable braking. Now engine braking with with AWD.. double the contact points... of a FWD or RWD.. you distrigute the force around more area it will stop you a hell lot faster. I have tried engine braking in an awd car and it feels like slamming on the brakes except you don't slide... awsome feeling... I'm actually scared that I might get rearended by someone else...

CKY
07-20-2006, 09:02 AM
If looks are not of any concern, Subaru should if immediatly out of that competition. Reliability and fuel economy wise Corolla tops the charts here. Everyone will think a civic should be just as good but it is the first year of the new model so some kinks are bound to happen. For that kind of price why not consider a Mazda 3 also?

Fuji
07-20-2006, 01:34 PM

No, the ES is a blinged out camry. The IS is a totally different car than the camry.

Mark

No the IS is as well. Trust me I own one :)

Fuji
07-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by joegrang

Actually AWD does help you to stop... Usually in winter I use engine braking because it seems to generate the most stopping power without sliding. Now think about it if you use engine braking with a fwd you have all the engine stopping power on 2 wheels. The 2 front ones which is the worse scenario even engine braking with a rwd will give you more predictable braking. Now engine braking with with AWD.. double the contact points... of a FWD or RWD.. you distrigute the force around more area it will stop you a hell lot faster. I have tried engine braking in an awd car and it feels like slamming on the brakes except you don't slide... awsome feeling... I'm actually scared that I might get rearended by someone else...

The difference is like 2 feet stopping distance for engine braking. If it is that slippery out and you have to rely only on engine braking, you are screwed anyways lol. I'm not saying AWD isn't good, ppl are just over inflating what it can do for a person

Mitsu3000gt
07-20-2006, 02:09 PM

To list just a few of the non-bling differences:

The IS is rear or AWD, you can't get an AWD or RWD camry. The motors are different, the HP ratings are different, the IS250 is direct injection also. The IS is available with a 6spd manual, the camry isnt. The IS is rear or AWD, the camry is FWD only. Just to list a few of the non-bling differences.

Mark

Fuji
07-20-2006, 02:19 PM

Why would lexus make 2 cars that are blinged camrys? I really doubt there is much in common with the camry in the new IS. If there is alot in common, I'd honestly be interested to read about it if you have a link or anything - do you have a link to somewhere that says the suspension is the same, the chassis, the interior, the motor, etc?

Mark

Well here's a test. Go buy a IS drive it and then go drive a camry if you cant afford the first one buy the camry then and then drive the lexus. They feel pretty similar with the exception that one is more luxurious.

They don't have to be the same identical parts etc. What I'm saying it is a variant of it. If you want to get techincal about it go for it. I dont really care about that lol, I just go by look and feel. I don't really care about the gearhead type stuff. yes they will hadle differently to a certain degree cuz of FF FR but all in all it feels pretty damn close and looks pretty close imo.. hence it is an opinion

Mitsu3000gt
07-20-2006, 02:20 PM

Well here's a test. Go buy a IS drive it and then go drive a camry if you cant afford the first one buy the camry then and then drive the lexus. They feel pretty similar with the exception that one is more luxurious.

They don't have to be the same identical parts etc. What I'm saying it is a variant of it. If you want to get techincal about it go for it. I dont really care about that lol, I just go by look and feel

Fair enough, skin deep I guess you sould say their similar.

Mark

Fuji
07-20-2006, 02:22 PM
^^agreed lol

Altezza
07-20-2006, 04:24 PM

So do I :P There is nothing similar between how the IS drives/feels and the numerous Camrys that my family have owned in the past. The IS isn't a blinged out Camry; it's a blinged out Altezza...worse than a Camry, LOL. In fact, new Camrys have more luxury than the old IS. There is nothing luxurious about an IS300. The new generation IS250/350 has nothing to do with the Camry platform. It's based on the new GS platform whereas the IS300 is Altezza-based.

Even then, if you drive a new '07 Camry back to back with a new '07 ES350, there is a world of difference between the two in fit/finish/materials/luxury/feel. Those who disagree obviously haven't driven both back to back. I've also driven the IS350 not long before driving the '07 Camry and '07 ES350. I can't possibly see how they feel similar??