PDA

View Full Version : garage floor

Fred
07-18-2006, 06:44 PM
has anyone painted/sealed their garage floor? I was looking at Concrete Floor sealer at Canadian Tire anyone have any positive or negative reviews on it?

Lex350
07-18-2006, 10:22 PM
I re-seal my driveway and garage floor once a year. It's nice because if any oil gets on it, I just use a bit of sunlight dish soap and the oil comes off because it hasn't penetrated the concrete. It also gives the concrete a slightly darker color.

Fred
07-19-2006, 07:11 AM
does the sealer fill in cracks? The stuff I was looking is almost like an apoxy that would stretch if cracks did form.

GoChris
07-19-2006, 08:11 AM
ohh, good topic, i'm moving into a house for the first time that has a garage and driveway so I want to at least seal my garage to prevent oil stains etc since i plan on doing work on the vehicles

EnRich
07-19-2006, 08:49 AM
let me know if you guys need garage heaters... heh even though its +30 outside. :rolleyes:

Lex350
07-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Fred
does the sealer fill in cracks? The stuff I was looking is almost like an apoxy that would stretch if cracks did form.

a filler for cracks is different than a sealer. In Calgary, cracks are just a way of life in concrete. A sealer is not going to prevent cracks per say. The biggest problem for developing cracks is a combination of how the garage floor was prepped including what kind of back-fill was used after the excavation on the moisture levels under the pad. Sealer can control the moisture from the top side and reduce the effects of salt and oil on the concrete but it won't do a think for the moisture under the pad and frost heave.

When I did my pad I had the area back filled with uncrushed rock - prepped the pad with three 4.5 foot deep trenches full of rebar - 18" centers for rebar and had my dad up the strength of concrete used. I sealed the pad within two hours of finishing the pad.....and I still got a crack.

Lex350
07-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by GoChris
ohh, good topic, i'm moving into a house for the first time that has a garage and driveway so I want to at least seal my garage to prevent oil stains etc since i plan on doing work on the vehicles

If you can be there right after they pour it, put the sealer on right after it's ok to walk on it. It will give you a black mirror finish. It almost looks like black ice in a way.

Iqoair
07-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

If you can be there right after they pour it, put the sealer on right after it's ok to walk on it. It will give you a black mirror finish. It almost looks like black ice in a way.

You're not supposed to seal concrete right after it's poured. It has to "cure" properly. Most concrete companys will tell you 3-6 months until you seal it. Concrete will cure up to 1 year after poured. Properly cured concrete is the strongest.

CasperWho
07-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Iqoair

Your not supposed to seal concrete right after it's poured. It has to "cure" properly. Most concrete companys will tell you 3-6 months until you seal it. Concrete will cure up to 1 year after poured. Properly cured concrete is the strongest.

:werd:

01RedDX
07-19-2006, 05:44 PM

Lex350
07-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Iqoair

You're not supposed to seal concrete right after it's poured. It has to "cure" properly. Most concrete companys will tell you 3-6 months until you seal it. Concrete will cure up to 1 year after poured. Properly cured concrete is the strongest.

completly wrong...This advice came from my Dad....over 50 years in the concrete business..we also own a concrete company. I think I'll stick with his advice.

Concrete does not take that long to cure.

barbarian
07-19-2006, 09:40 PM
For garage slabs, dig a trench in the middle before you pour it, only a couple inches. When the concrete expands and contracts with the heat and cold, it will rock slightly side-to-side instead of cracking.