PDA

View Full Version : Critic Storms Out of "Clerks 2" Screening; Kevin Smith Fires Back

Xaroxantu Zero
07-19-2006, 10:19 PM
DON'T joke about women, donkeys and bestiality if you expect Joel Siegel to watch your movie. That's what director Kevin Smith found out when the pun-loving "Good Morning America" film critic stormed out of a press screening of Smith's "Clerks II," which opens Friday - an act that's sparked a vicious war of words between the two.

"Time to go!" roared Siegel to his fellow critics. "First movie I've walked out of in 30 [bleeping] years!" His tirade came 40 minutes into the long-awaited Weinstein Company sequel to Smith's 1994 cult classic about two foul-mouthed Long Island convenience store clerks who razz customers and goof off.

In the scene that sent Siegel to the exit, the characters graphically discuss hiring a woman to perform sexual favors on a donkey. Siegel told Page Six: "It was so foul and mean and repulsive. I finally realized I could not say anything positive . . . I wasn't ready for this kind of smut . . . I hope he doesn't make any more movies."

An apoplectic Smith fired back on his MySpace blog: "Getting a bad review from Siegel is like a badge of honor. This is the guy who stole his mustachioed-critic shtick from Gene Shalit years ago, and still refuses to give it back. This is a guy who seemingly prides himself on his own nyuk-nyuk wordplay. For 'Pirates 2,' he made us all titter with 'Yo, Ho, Ho and a Bottle of Fun' . . . He made us squeal with delight when he wrote, 'Wheelie Good Time for "Cars." ' I mean, Fozzy [bleeping] Bear laughs at this guy."

And there's more: "I don't need Joel Siegel to [bleep] my [bleep] the way he apparently [bleeps] M. Night Shyamalan's, gushing over his flick ['The Lady in the Water'] before he's even seen it, but [bleep] man, man - how about a little common [bleeping] courtesy? You never, never disrupt a movie, simply because you don't like it. Cardinal rule of moviegoing: Shut your [bleeping] mouth while the movie's playing.

"I don't come down to your job and slap the taste out of your mouth for coming up with a line like, ' "Shark Tale" Is a Halibut Good Time' - so don't [bleep] with my stuff while it's still screening . . . What are you, a 12-year-old boy cutting loose with your pals at a Friday night screening of 'Scary Movie' 4' while your parents are in a theater down the hall watching 'The Devil Wears Prada'? Leave the diva-like behavior and drama-queen antics to the movie stars, not the movie reviewer, ya' rude-ass [bleep]."
Source: NY Post (http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix/pagesix.htm)

I'm not sure where his original blog is, but I think it'll be a good read. :D

KuruptEX
07-19-2006, 10:27 PM
wow:eek:
must be a really good movie then:drool:

MudCrawler
07-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Ive been stoked to see this movie since i saw the first ad.:thumbsup:

ZedMan
07-20-2006, 12:21 AM
smith's blog:
http://www.silentbobspeaks.com/

BerserkerCatSplat
07-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Awesome, Kevin Smith strikes back! :D Siegel sure is a cheesy basterd...

l8braker
07-20-2006, 07:01 AM
Sounds even better than before. Kevin Smith rules.

3g4me
07-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Kevin Smith is the shit. All his movies are awesome.:thumbsup:

SunniSunShine
07-20-2006, 11:13 AM
eww donkeys are dirty

Pihsiak
07-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Kevin Smith is Awsome.

who's Joel Siegel? :dunno:

01RedDX
07-20-2006, 12:23 PM

BigDannyCool
07-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
Kevin Smith is Awsome.

who's Joel Siegel? :dunno:

This guy
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/JoelSiegel/

eb0i
07-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by 3g4me
Kevin Smith is the shit. All his movies are awesome.:thumbsup:

You obviously haven't watched Jersey Girl and Chasing Amy:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

I don't have high expectations for Clerks II either I can't see the magic of the first one being reincarnated and made better in the second one. Definitely a cheap theater movie for me.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-21-2006, 12:14 AM
^I haven't seen Jersey, Girl, but Chasing Amy was excellent. :dunno:

3g4me
07-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by eb0i

You obviously haven't watched Jersey Girl and Chasing Amy:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

I don't have high expectations for Clerks II either I can't see the magic of the first one being reincarnated and made better in the second one. Definitely a cheap theater movie for me.

Jersey girl wasnt that good i guess, but i love and own chasing amy. But if he came out with a million shitty movies its all good cauz he made mallrats and that movie is the shit.:thumbsup: