PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Wheel - July 19, 2006: Backing in Parking Lots

skidmark
07-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Backing in Parking Lots

Whose fault is it if I back out of a parking space and hit someone driving by?

The Motor Vehicle Act places the responsibility squarely on the driver who is backing up. It says that a driver must not in any event or at any place cause a vehicle to move backwards unless the movement can be made in safety.

A check of ICBC's web site finds a page where liability for a crash caused by a driver backing up is discussed. The page says that the courts generally rule that a reversing vehicle is 100 per cent at fault for any resulting accident. ICBC will assess your fault based on court decisions, so expect to be at fault both from the point of view of a traffic ticket and insurance liability.

Here are a number of suggestions to help you avoid problems:

Back into the parking space. The vehicles around it are not moving.
Choose a parking space that you can drive through and face outward on the other side.
Have a passenger guide you and stop traffic.
Circle check your vehicle before entering and scan constantly while backing.
Back up slowly.
Never back up further than absolutely necessary.
Turn toward the driver's side if possible for better visibility.
Install a backup alarm to warn others.

Many luxury vehicles have a backup warning system as optional equipment. The system warns a driver of objects it senses behind the vehicle when they are near enough to be a hazard. You may choose to install an aftermarket kit if it was not available as a factory accessory for your vehicle.

Reference Links (http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/current.htm)

adam c
07-19-2006, 10:30 PM
its still ur fault

Strider
07-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by skidmark

Choose a parking space that you can drive through and face outward on the other side.

I fvcking hate when people do that. One time I was backing into a parking spot only to have some crazy woman swoop in from the other side before I was all the way in... then SHE gave ME the WTF look :nut:

JeremyD
07-20-2006, 02:22 PM
^^^

Whose fault would it be in that situation?

snowboard
07-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by JeremyD
^^^

She rear ended you :rofl:
persay :poosie:

eljefe
07-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by JeremyD
^^^

His because he was reversing of course

nadroj23
07-21-2006, 10:43 AM
i thought 50/50 in parking lots?

Tyler883
07-25-2006, 01:00 AM
This law still bugs me a little.

In a coal mine, when two roads merge, the right of way belongs to the vehicle whose blind spot is facing the other vehicle. Makes alot more sense than this law, right?

You know those little pricks that like to go racing by when you're already half way backed out? I'd like to hit them with the full force of my truck bumper but 'thars a law against it'