PDA

View Full Version : Good car?

MarX
07-20-2006, 12:42 AM
I'm looking to get some peoples opinions on a car I am looking at purchasing.
It is a 1984 Buick Lesabre Limited.
81xxx mi
Some rust- bubbling under paint on the edges of the roof and a couple other spots, couple small holes nothing major.
Has the Oldsmobile 307ci V8 engine and 4spd auto trans.
Seems like an overall good car and looks to be used lightly.
The reason I'm apprehensive is because of where I found it. It's at a scrapyard/junkers and it's $300
I will post some pics when I go take some. Overall the car looks to be in good shape. It has a newer exhaust and seems to have been oilsprayed over the years as there's little to no underbody rust.
Just looking to get some peoples opinions on these cars and the likes.

Thanks in advance.

nonsane
07-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Correct me if i am wrong, but isn't the odometer on GM's of those years 5 digits?

If it is it is probably alot more than 81,000 and if it does say 81,000 the old cars are easy to roll back.

Keep fuel in mind, cause that'll definately be a gas pig.

P.S. Demolition derby.

MarX
07-20-2006, 07:51 AM
It is 5 digits but judging on the interior and overall appearance it seems to be correct. I'm going to check the VIN and see what the true mileage is though. It shouldn't be TOO bad so long as I drive sensibly but if I open it up I may as well have the gas gauge keep time with the speedometer:banghead:

And yeah These are great cars for demos although it sucks that the last of the big cars end up there or cubed :(

rc2002
07-20-2006, 08:32 AM
You usually get what you pay for. It might seem like low mileage for cars of today's standards, but 81,000mi for a car of that year is a lot of mileage. It would be good for a beater, but I would junk it the minute it breaks down on me.

nonsane
07-20-2006, 12:05 PM
the interior on my car is almost mint and it has over 160,000mi.

Can't really tell like that.

rc2002
07-20-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm talking mechanically and structurally. After that many years, the motor could be tired (even if it is lower mileage), and the body/frame/suspension could have some good wear on it. There's probably a reason it's at the junkers in the first place so it might need some work.

But if you plan on restoring it and going that route, it might be a good original example to start with. It's definitely a rarer car that you don't see many of on the roads.