PDA

View Full Version : JL Audio - Who sells their products?

modded46
07-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi there, looking at building up my car with a new system and i'm heavily leaning towards JL audio for the speakers & amp. Wondering who in the city sells these products namely looking at the difference between the XR570-CXi & TR570-CXi because they are a major jump in cash and want to know if they are worth it.

Thanks!

DeeK
07-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Soundsaround has always been my JL hookup. Specially when they do the big clearance event at the round-up center.

e_luded
07-20-2006, 10:17 AM
if you want some serious JL audio stuff look at the W7's a little pricy but well worth it. Check out Audio concepts

modded46
07-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Yah the W7's are sick speakers.. It's only a focus so I don't think I really need to go that high end.. If it was for competition or a larger vehicle then I would definitely go that route..

I think the TR line looks really good for the money, just wondering how much better they are than the TR's. Seperate programmable crossover would certainly be nice.. and I like the fact they have a tweeter which is movable.

DeeK
07-20-2006, 10:41 AM
I would definently recommend going up to the TR's. I had 6 Tr's in my car, along with the W6 they sound amazing.

I would highly recommend spendig the extra for the TR series.

modded46
07-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the advice.. What kinda AMP were you pushing those with?

core_upt
07-20-2006, 10:49 AM
TRs are entry level. Not worth amping TR's IMO.

VR's are nice to run off deck power, but even nicer off a smaller 4 channel

XR's MUST be amped, no question. fully programmable x-over is nice too if you big into audio tuning.

My suggestion if you want to go big - XR up front, VR in the back. A cheaper version - VR up front, TR in the rear.

Go talk to Adrian at A&B in Shawnessy - he runs an XR/VR combo in his car and it sounds great!

modded46
07-20-2006, 11:00 AM
VR up front as opposed to vise versa.. That's interesting, but I guess it makes sense that you want the best sound in front of you rather than behind.

I have a fairly good amp already for these it's a Alpine MRP-F250 which is rated at 4x40wRMS@4 ohm

That should be enough for the XR's and definitely enough for the TR's

Thanks again this is very helpful.

rc2002
07-20-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm pretty sure A&B Sound sells JL Audio as well. Other than them and Soundsaround, there's not a lot of suppliers here in town.

DeeK
07-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Er.. Sorry I got the TR and VR mixed up.. I meant to say go up to the VR line, I got 6 Vr's in my car, running off the deck, they sound great.

modded46
07-20-2006, 11:17 AM
So you're running the ones with or without the crossovers? The TR's are the ones without the crossovers.

DeeK
07-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Yea the TR's are the basic ones.. I was running the VR's (with the crossover) off the deck. worked fine. Not very bassy without an amp, but didnt need anymore bass than the W6.

SI_futbol
07-20-2006, 11:23 AM
best buy sells their speakers.

DeeK
07-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by SI_futbol
best buy sells their speakers.
best buy only carries their bottom line stuff.

modded46
07-20-2006, 11:29 AM
I went to best buy in northland and they didn't have any of the 5x7

GTS Jeff
07-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Here is some unconventional, yet probably the best advice you'll hear.

Don't bother with rear speakers. Then with the money you save on not buying rears, you can get wayyyy nicer fronts and maybe a more powerful amp for them too. To put things in perspective, I'd use that exact Alpine amp of yours to power my 4" speakers. :)

I'm telling you to do this because rear speakers do nothing but fuck shit up. That's right, they fuck shit up. I'm working on like 2 hours of sleep over the past 3 days right now, so that's as technical as I'm going to get at this point. In all competition setups, the rears are removed, and even if you insist on some rear fill, use keep the stock speakers and just fade forward until you can't actually hear the rears at all anymore. If you set up time correction properly on your deck, assuming it has it, then it'll actually sound like you have rear fill even when you don't. :)

Also just noticed you're looking for oval speakers. Well don't. Figure out a way to get circular speakers in your car. Trust me.

DeeK
07-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Here is some unconventional, yet probably the best advice you'll hear.

Don't bother with rear speakers. Then with the money you save on not buying rears, you can get wayyyy nicer fronts and maybe a more powerful amp for them too. To put things in perspective, I'd use that exact Alpine amp of yours to power my 4" speakers. :)

I'm telling you to do this because rear speakers do nothing but fuck shit up. That's right, they fuck shit up. I'm working on like 2 hours of sleep over the past 3 days right now, so that's as technical as I'm going to get at this point. In all competition setups, the rears are removed, and even if you insist on some rear fill, use keep the stock speakers and just fade forward until you can't actually hear the rears at all anymore. If you set up time correction properly on your deck, assuming it has it, then it'll actually sound like you have rear fill even when you don't. :)
Well I dunno about that I have 6 speakers in my car, and yes it is important to have front, as I have 4 speakers up front, but in my opinion the rear is neccescary to provide optimum sounds. For example, especially with the music I listen to, different sounds come from different speakers. Some music types do this but anything set up in "stereo surround mode" will always have different pitches coming out of different speakers including the rear. without the rear speakers you are only hearing some of the actual music. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that each speaker is playing something completely different, all I'm saying is that each speaker is putting out a slightly different sound that when all speakers are firing you get the full sound of the music. It's cleaner and crisper.

Also just noticed you're looking for oval speakers. Well don't. Figure out a way to get circular speakers in your car. Trust me.
I would agree with this, oval speakers give a distorted sound. Anytime you are going with something other than circle, you are distorting the soundwaves produced. I especially dont like the sound of the square subs. Mind you its a little harder to notice as it bass. However different cars have different acoustics and square does sound like complete crap in some cars.

GTS Jeff
07-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by DeeK

Well I dunno about that I have 6 speakers in my car, and yes it is important to have front, as I have 4 speakers up front, but in my opinion the rear is neccescary to provide optimum sounds. For example, especially with the music I listen to, different sounds come from different speakers. Some music types do this but anything set up in "stereo surround mode" will always have different pitches coming out of different speakers including the rear. without the rear speakers you are only hearing some of the actual music. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that each speaker is playing something completely different, all I'm saying is that each speaker is putting out a slightly different sound that when all speakers are firing you get the full sound of the music. It's cleaner and crisper. Ok first off, music comes encoded in 2 channels. Left and Right. Just 2. Not 4, not 6..just 2. The exception is a surround format like AC3 if you happen to watch movies in your car. More importantly, the 2 channels are 2 front channels...so that the singer or band or rapfag or what have you is in front of you, not surrounding you. You want lil jon or whatever to be standing in front of you, not in between your ears somewhere.

The WORST thing about having more than 2 speakers reproducing 2 channel stereo is that it messes with imaging. If the trumpet is meant to be 45 degrees to the right...with rear speakers, you're placing that trumpet at 90 degrees. FUCKED UP! it also creates problems with having unnecessary sound waves bouncing around the car, causing constructive interference in some cases and destructive interference in other cases. It is possible to tune out some of these effects with time correction, but it's still shitty at best.

And finally, having different pitches coming from each speaker does not create a fuller sound. It causes unpredictable interference, distorting the music from the way the studio meant for the music to be played. If you feel that your front speakers are only playing some of the music, then you need better speakers with a flatter frequency response curve, or maybe you need to spend a bit of time EQing them.

Really, what I'm saying here is pretty basic stuff and I hope I'm explaining it in a way that makes sense to you...If not, go check out any SQ competitions and ask around. Or even do some googling. You'll find that the only people who recommend rear fill have bad spelling and grammar. ;)

DeeK
07-20-2006, 12:29 PM
That makes perfect sense Jeff. I was referring to AC3, movie surround sound. Not that I watch any movies in my car, but its the same principle. I guess what makes a difference is how each person appreciates their music, you like it as if it were a concert setup, everything in the front. Whereas I appreciate sound filling up the car, providing different variances. Nine times out of ten, I like music that doesn't sound like it would in a studio as if it was an informal jam session or something of the like. Most studio producers change the music more than it should be. But again, thats just my opinion.

But your write up makes perfect sense. Thank you.