PDA

View Full Version : TBE questions

Aleks
07-20-2006, 11:06 AM
What's everyone's experience with this. I have looked on nasioc etc already. Just want local thoughts, this is why we have a subaru section right? :)

Anyways, Cobb AP price is pretty similar everywhere. For a TBE I found Cobb TBE is pretty expensive. I want something that is not too loud and a tip that is small 3.5" at most.
What others would you recommend?

Is it better to mix and match catback + downpipes? TIA

Fuji
07-20-2006, 01:12 PM
mix and match I think is the only way to go.

Getting a quiet subaru with no cats is damn near impossible.

I'd say pick a downpipe you want then go witht he greddy evo2... benyl has one and its teh quietest i have heard in real life.... sadly mine is play rude and loud and there is not much i can do without buying the greddy exaust system or running some cats

Aleks
07-20-2006, 01:30 PM
So a catted DP with Greddy Evo 2 catback should work well then.

Cobb, Helix, Perrin, APS? Are they all pretty equal in terms of quality?

Fuji
07-20-2006, 01:54 PM
i have helix, which is invidia... its gorgeous, but REALLY loud... my sound almost tripled after i installed it on the same exahust.. i really hate the loudness...

the TXS stealth back is supposed to be quite quiet too

rip
07-20-2006, 02:03 PM
I"m planning on going COBB all the way on mine. It is a little pricey but it is apparently awesome quality, and the muffler looks somewhat stockish. Apparently the noise levels are fairly quiet, and COBB's STG II map was done using this Setup (Catless).

Fuji
07-20-2006, 02:10 PM
^^ I can't say anything about cobb... the helix is the nicest looking DP i have ever seen. I have never liked thier products and I find they overinflate thier claims... I've had close friends not have good dealings with them either, but a lot of other ppl would swear by them so who knows

rip
07-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Fuji
i have helix, which is invidia... its gorgeous, but REALLY loud... my sound almost tripled after i installed it on the same exahust.. i really hate the loudness...

the TXS stealth back is supposed to be quite quiet too

Do you need a CEL fix with the helix?

Fuji
07-20-2006, 02:30 PM
I run a standalone so i dont need anytype of CEL fixes :P

rip
07-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Would you recommend a catted or uncatted and why?

xrayvsn
07-20-2006, 02:50 PM
I am also interested in this, and probably have the same goals as Aleks: Not too loud and a stockish looking tip. I have read that the Prodrive axle back is also quiet, but Prodrive is $$$, and you only get the muffler.

Originally posted by rip
Would you recommend a catted or uncatted and why?

I've read that the DP without the cat can run into problems with boost creep. Anyone going catless have any problems with this?

benyl
07-20-2006, 03:05 PM
The Evo2 is nice. It is quiet at moderate throttle, but can get louder when you floor it.

You will need a CEL fix with ANY catless dp.

It will cost you $3 for the mechanical fix. No hacking required.

I would recommend a catted downpipe. 1. it is quieter. 2. You aren't polluting.

If you go catless and keep the stock can, it is basically like stock. Just a little raspier.

benyl
07-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

I've read that the DP without the cat can run into problems with boost creep. Anyone going catless have any problems with this?

You will not have boost creep issues at our altitude. The VF39 falls on its face. You might see it if it is -30 and you are doing a 4th or 5th gear pull.

rip
07-20-2006, 03:30 PM
^^^Yeah and I've heard that with catless it will stain your bumper as well.

Pee_Sack
07-20-2006, 03:45 PM
I've got perrin up pipe and down pipe going in next week, gonna flash to stage 1

will be ordering the Hayward and Scott (scooby sport) catback sometime in the near future. Should be nice and loud and get some good boxer rumble.

Fuji
07-20-2006, 04:10 PM
catless will burn your bumper!!! mine is partially melted from a bit of flame action lol

BTW catless DP will make your car way louder than a catted one.

Aleks
07-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all the info.

I am definatelly planing on getting a catted DP. I want to keep it as quiet as possible. I hear the greddy Evo catback is nice but the tip is pretty big.

CRXguy
07-20-2006, 05:51 PM
What about the TXS stealthback plus Prodrive oval tip axle-back? It sounds almost stock-ish at idle, but you get the distinctive boxer rumble at WOT. :bigpimp:

I have the HKS dp and Tanabe exhaust. It's pretty loud, but no obnoxious.

+1 for catless from me! :thumbsup: :rofl:

benyl
07-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Thanks for all the info.

I am definatelly planing on getting a catted DP. I want to keep it as quiet as possible. I hear the greddy Evo catback is nice but the tip is pretty big.

Evo tip is large, but I have yet to get hassled.

I think the borla hush is a twin tip... is the 2006 wrx a twin tip still?

Aleks
07-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by benyl

2006 is single tip. I think 2.5" tip

mac_82
07-20-2006, 08:04 PM
I am going with a catted Cobb DP + STi uppipe. As for my axle-back, that is still undecided, but I got a good idea what I am replacing my STi axle-back with :devil:

mac_82
07-21-2006, 03:24 PM
FWIW I had always thought that the Cobb catted DP > Helix catted DP because of the position of the cats. I had always thought that the further back the cat the better.

COBB
http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/images/downpipe-med.jpg

HELIX:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h195/honda3410/import-store_1900_124952052.jpg

benyl
07-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Not for the environment.

Cats need to be hot to work properly. not too hot mind you. The old WRX has a cat before the turbo... but you know that.

xrayvsn
07-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Anyone using a divorced wastegate downpipe design like Worx Tuning has? I can understand the theory behind why a divorced wastegate may be beneficial, but is it really just hype to justify a higher price than a similar bellmouth DP?

If you don't mind me asking, are you running an aftermarket DP, benyl?

benyl
07-21-2006, 11:39 PM
maybe ;)

I dunno. Personally, I can't see it making that much of a difference. Some people swear by them. I would just go rotated and external if you really want to make a difference.

xrayvsn
07-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Does the Greddy drone on the highway at part throttle? Much of my commute is on the highway and I would hate for my exhaust to irritate me for the majority of my drive.

Also, does the DP contribute much to the cabin noise, or is that mostly a function of the cats and axle back?

Aleks
07-24-2006, 07:13 AM
Just looking at some dyno results from the dyno day in edm. These are both 06 wrx cars. I was really really going to try and resist modding another car :( When guys get number like this on stage3 the temptation might be too much.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
270 whp
301 lb/ft

Configuration:
WRX 2006 TR
Cobb Accessport.
VF39 turbo. Black Xtreme(TM) coating-turbine housing, Monster Port(TM) by Deadbolt Enterprises.
STi TMIC.
STi splitter.
ScoobySport 2.5" turboback exhaust.
Forge BOV.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06 WRX

Big 16G turbo (ported)
STi TMIC
Walbro 255 fuel pump
3" catless exhaust
tuned on 91 oct

270hp/318tq

benyl
07-24-2006, 08:43 AM
^^ those numbers aint bad.

Why would anyone bother with a 16G?

The greddy doesn't drone and echo in the cabin, but you can hear it.

I have driven to Golden many many times and have never been annoyed. I get annoyed easily.

In cars with a catless downpipe, you will hear the Turbo spool. You exhaust will be louder as the cats do muffle sound.

With the stock cat back and a catless dp, you exhaust won't be louder, simply "raspier" at full throttle.

mac_82
07-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Even a 06 WRX with a Cat-less Cobb stage 2 put down 226hp/270tq. And that torque came on at 2600 rpm.

I wish my car was 2.5L :(.

With Cobb releasing AP maps for the FP16G (02 WRX), FP18G (06 WRX) these turbos are starting to see a "boost" in popularity.

Plus the tuners from PDX are recommending them over the VF30 / VF34. From what I have read so far the FP16G has better spool up and better top end that the VF34. But I guess it comes down to personal preference in the end, and how much you want to push your car.

Aleks
07-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by mac_82
Even a 06 WRX with a Cat-less Cobb stage 2 put down 226hp/270tq. And that torque came on at 2600 rpm.

I wish my car was 2.5L :(.

With Cobb releasing AP maps for the FP16G (02 WRX), FP18G (06 WRX) these turbos are starting to see a "boost" in popularity.

Plus the tuners from PDX are recommending them over the VF30 / VF34. From what I have read so far the FP16G has better spool up and better top end that the VF34. But I guess it comes down to personal preference in the end, and how much you want to push your car.

What about the STi turbo Looking at those results it seems pretty similar in numbers to the 16G?

Pee_Sack
07-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by benyl

The 05 and 06 are single tips

mac_82
08-06-2006, 07:45 PM

What about the STi turbo Looking at those results it seems pretty similar in numbers to the 16G?

Which STi turbo?

Aleks
08-07-2006, 12:08 PM

Which STi turbo?

vf39

anyways i ordered Cobb Stg2. catted dp. hope to get it within a couple of weeks.

JAYMEZ
08-07-2006, 01:45 PM
^^ Nice :thumbsup:

xrayvsn
08-07-2006, 05:12 PM
anyways i ordered Cobb Stg2. catted dp. hope to get it within a couple of weeks.

I definitely want a ride. :thumbsup:

mac_82
08-07-2006, 11:56 PM
where did you order the cobb dp? i am hoping to pick this up in the next month or so, was probably gonna go with Rally...

mac_82
08-08-2006, 12:01 AM

vf39

16g > vf39

doing a quick search on NASIOC will reveal numerous threads discussing the differences between the 2.

Aleks
08-08-2006, 07:08 AM
where did you order the cobb dp? i am hoping to pick this up in the next month or so, was probably gonna go with Rally...

I ordered everything at tunerworks. I talked to Bobby. He took the time to talk/show me his car etc. Figured I go local since Cobb has pretty tight price controls and buying online would not really save me all that much.

rip
08-08-2006, 08:47 AM

I ordered everything at tunerworks. I talked to Bobby. He took the time to talk/show me his car etc. Figured I go local since Cobb has pretty tight price controls and buying online would not really save me all that much.

How long do you have to wait to get it in?

I ended up buying it used on NASIOC, but I'm still waiting on delivery.

Aleks
08-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by rip

How long do you have to wait to get it in?

I ended up buying it used on NASIOC, but I'm still waiting on delivery.

He said about a week. But I know it all depends on when Cobb ships it. I think they had 06 Acessports on backorder so I might have to wait a little while.

theostubbs
08-11-2006, 10:57 PM
one of you has to show me what a stg 2 WRX is like. I think this calls for a meet.