PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think of magnaflow?

riced
07-20-2006, 05:22 PM
I need some input and opinions on this before I go on to doing it. I got an 06 civic (yeah, i know) and I want it to sound a bit more aggressive in conjunction with an Injen CAI or Fujita SRI, i havent made up my mind yet.

So i was taking a look at the universal magnaflow mufflers and I wanted to know what you guys think about it. I'm looking for the G35 or Z sound but that will probably near impossible to get, but close and not loud at idle or below the 3k RPM range. Would a universal magnaflow muffler suffice? I don't want it disturbing the peace or anything, just something that can create a good sound aggressive sound.

btw, I'm on a tight budget if any of you care to flame haha... anyways thanks!

zain123
07-22-2006, 12:40 AM
i have magnaflow cat back
its awesome
but i think its a bit loud for NA ... wait for some N/A ppl to post here with their experiences..
it looks a lil big and doesnt suit the car THAT much and there are other alternatives too .. but for the price u pay its awesome

mo_money2supe
07-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Personally, I can't stand how loud magnaflow mufflers are, especially when you're in it driving around. Mind you, I find my so-called quiet Mugen Twin Loop loud too! So maybe it's just me.

Oh, and isn't the sound the G35 and/or 350Z that you hear coming from the engine itself, not the exhaust? Good luck trying to replicate that without using that speaker projection system in one of the Ask Leo threads months ago.

EDIT: Re-read the post above me and noticed you may want examples from N/A cars. I was driving a N/A DC2 around town for a couple days about a year and a half ago. That's when I realized how loud magnaflow mufflers really are. But like I said, I may just have sensitive ears...

tapout
07-22-2006, 12:49 AM
i got 1 on a honda 98 si left the cat on & it sounds osome best bang for your buck

Tha VZA
07-22-2006, 06:18 AM
i have a 2.5" turbo back exhaust with a magnaflow universal on the end...sounds like a bunch or wind getting pushed out due to the turbo...not too loud at all...but then again this is a turbo application and i have no experience with them regarding an NA application

but i like them!

ciao

riced
07-22-2006, 09:03 AM
hmm... now this is making me think about my decision some more.
And if its too loud, theres no going back lol...
but thanks for all your input guys
but then again, i guess it doesn't hurt to try..

oh one more thing... im noob at this so... does having it with a SRI make a difference in sound? like louder? Im guessing it would because the SRI alone would make noise correct?

crxcel
07-24-2006, 09:34 PM
I have 2.25 on my Vortech B18C..it is loud as hell..No Cat though

hondafetish
07-24-2006, 10:01 PM
I bought my EM1 used from a guy in Calgary, and he had a Magnaflow installed when he had it.

My previous car was a CRX with a DC Sports system.

I found the Magnaflow a lot quieter in the cabin than the DC, a little too quiet IMO, but people on the outside said it sounded very nice.

I think you'd be happy with it.

riced
07-24-2006, 10:09 PM
thanks again guys
those of you with a universal muffler... is it really ricey? cause if it is, that would be such a waste of money
and would it wake neighbours at night?

90Tegra
07-24-2006, 10:23 PM
magnaflow is good only when its new and after a year it just gets loud as hell.

jsn
08-02-2006, 11:12 PM
i have a magnaflow on my 86 NA mr2. I like the sound but it is abit too loud for my taste. I wish it was slightly quieter. ALthough this may be because I also had larger diameter piping put in. Also my car was loud to begin with even with the stock exhuast, so it may not be the mufler. :dunno:

elementB16a
08-10-2006, 02:28 AM
im not a big fan of magnaflow, i always saw magnaflow as muscle car exaust dunno lol

aram1000
08-11-2006, 09:34 AM
they are not bad, tho i think with these you would want a muffler shop to do your piping as well, if u are really concerned about sound get a larger resonator put in, should quiet things down, if u are looking for something universaland quiet might wanna look into a mugen twin loop style exhaust, they sound pretty good in my opinion, or a tanabe tuner medallion muffler, they sound really good, a bit more money then a magnaflow, but definately worth it

legendboy
08-11-2006, 09:42 AM
i think they sound like ass

civicrider
08-11-2006, 10:00 AM
IMO they sounds brutal on 4 banger hondas, but my buddy has it on a 2.8 v6 audi and it sounds nice and low not loud at all, but for a honda id never put any exhaust on they all sound bad

Ben
08-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
IMO they sounds brutal on 4 banger hondas, but my buddy has it on a 2.8 v6 audi and it sounds nice and low not loud at all, but for a honda id never put any exhaust on they all sound bad

I have Magnaflow on my Audi (same motor) and it sounds ok. It would sound better without my dying cats for sure, but it's a little raspy (good tone, deep and proper, but raspy, if anyone has heard ScCabs SC M3 then you know the noise I'm referring too, except his is a Supersprint)

Overall I'm happy, but I'll have to see after I replace both cats and both mid mufflers.

My intake however is still louder than the exhaust.

Ekliptix
08-15-2006, 09:30 PM
I don't know about on a 4 cyc, but they sound great on a V8. If your car is too loud I'd consider changing/installing the resonator too.

Carl2tan
08-17-2006, 05:15 PM
just got a brand new cat-back for mazda3. I love it on my car, but havent heard others. (not quite as loud as I would like, but still pretty loud)