PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell the tread left on tires...

RCBVtec
07-14-2002, 04:29 PM
When someone says there is 70%-80% tread left, how do they come up with that number??? :dunno:

I've heard of the penny test, where you put the penny in between the tread and if it goes up past the queens head it's legal if it's under it's illegal...

mischief
07-14-2002, 04:40 PM
There is a gauge that measures tire tread depth. They have this at all service garages. I'm sure you can buy this too.

rage2
07-14-2002, 05:17 PM
There's wear bars on the tire inside the tread. When you wear to the wear bar point, it's time for a replacement.

4wheeldrift
07-14-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by rage2
There's wear bars on the tire inside the tread. When you wear to the wear bar point, it's time for a replacement.

For the tire clueless, the wear bars run perpendicular to the tread, almost all the way to the casing. Usually once you are on the wear bars you have about 2/32 of tread left or so.

RCBVtec
07-14-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

For the tire clueless, the wear bars run perpendicular to the tread, almost all the way to the casing. Usually once you are on the wear bars you have about 2/32 of tread left or so.

OK bare with me here 4wheel as I am "tire clueless"... the wear bars are on the outside of the wheel right? i.e on the same side where the name of the tire is (i.e bridgestone), max psi, rating ie-205/17/40... :confused: thanks man...

speedracer
07-14-2002, 05:53 PM
No, look on the tread - You will see a bar located in different sections of the tire (in the groove of the design).

Once you tire tread has worn to the same level then it 2/32.

RCBVtec
07-14-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by speedracer
No, look on the tread - You will see a bar located in different sections of the tire (in the groove of the design).

Once you tire tread has worn to the same level then it 2/32.

:clap: :clap: I get it!! Thanks man :thumbsup:

Mortimer Schnur
07-14-2002, 07:27 PM
Just pick up a tire tread gauge from Wal Mart. They are about $4. It will give you accurate readings in 1/32" increments or millimeters. You can measure your tread depth with one of those across your tires and if you make notes, you can track how evenly they are wearing.

RCBVtec
07-15-2002, 10:29 AM
Cool, thanks man... I'll have to get one :thumbsup:

Dyinghere
07-15-2002, 11:30 AM
I will too :D where in wal mart is it under?

Mortimer Schnur
07-15-2002, 10:06 PM
In the automotive department inside the store, roughly around the air fresheners.

4wheeldrift
07-15-2002, 10:07 PM
When they're bald, they're just about right for track use :D

Mortimer Schnur
07-15-2002, 10:14 PM
Haha! You are retarded!! :rofl:

4wheeldrift
07-15-2002, 10:19 PM
Obviously haven't ever heard of "street shaved" tires before :D

And as for being retarded, that was only a rumor :) At least i went to school on the long bus (actually, I was a walker but that is neither here nor there) :burnout:

Mortimer Schnur
07-15-2002, 10:30 PM
No, no, man. On this board "retarded" means you are the $h!t!

The short bus I rode had baldies! :rofl:

Stratus_Power
07-20-2002, 11:21 AM
ok i went to walmart and bought one of those.. but how do i use it? just shove it in the tire? which part of the tire? and what number means i need new tires?

Mortimer Schnur
07-20-2002, 11:50 AM
It's a T-shaped thing. Push the flattened nail looking end all the way in to the gauge. The white end with the markings should be all the way out. Now set it so the base is perpendicular to (across) the tread. I use a middle tread for general measurements. Push the white end with the markings down so the flattened nail end goes as far into the tread as it can and stops.

Now remove it and get your reading. I always use the 32nds (black numbers) rather than the mms (red numbers). It's a finer reading for one thing. You have three flat sides to read 32nds off of. Say the steel body is covering the 6 on one flat but you can see the 7 but not the 7's line on the next flat over. You should be able to see the 8 and the 8 line on the next one. So you have just under 8/32" tread remaining.

Now if you want to keep records, measure and record the far outside and inside treads as well and see if they are wearing evenly over a period of time.

What number tells you you need new tires depends on your tire type. Some new tires come with such a shallow tread that that depth would be a worn out depth on another tire.

Hope this helps. :)

VWhooligan
10-02-2002, 12:50 AM
If you are under 5/32's you are recommended to replace the tire. This was the deal when I worked at Walmart Tire and lube.

Also, you can't pass inspection with tires under 5/32's.