PDA

View Full Version : Vw Rant!

teggypimp95
07-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Well i just wanted to share with you all my store of what happened in the last couple days.

So i took my car into vw south center fine cars becuase my manual GTI seem to be sticking when going into third and slightly un smooth when changing into other gears. So i took it in and 7 hours later they call me saying that i need a new clutch. Im trying to figure out how they came to that assumption, but the lady on the phone assured me thats what needed doing.
So i ask her how much it will cost to get my clutch done. She Says 2100:eek: I nearly shit myself. So i said to her i would come grab the car and take it some where else. When i arrive to pick up the car. I look on the work order and it says they spend .5 hours on my car. This cost me 80 bucks to have them tell me this problem. While i was there i asked how much it would cost for the tranny fuild to be replaced ( i thought for sure this was all that needed doing) she quotes me 280 bucks:thumbsdow .

So i ring up national transmission and tell them that i will be needed a new clutch put in my car right away. They said sure no problem, bring it by right now and we will have it done for you in a day or 2. They quote me 1000-1100 for a new clutch. This was much better:)

The next morning i get a call from national transmission. One of there mechanics explains to me that he has been driving the car around all morning trying to find a problem, but he cant. He said the clutch feels perfect and very smooth. He dident give up there, he said he would do some poking around and give me a call back in a couple hours.

A few hours gone by and they tell me my car is ready for pick up. :) i go to national to see what exactly they have done. They checked and lubed all the shift linkages and changed the tranny oil with new synthetic oil. I took it for a spin and it felt perfect. Shifting was smooth, clutch was smooth, everything was great. The best part was. National charged me 50 bucks :thumbsup: Problem solved by changing the oil.

I would never take my car to south center fine cars again. They were dishonest, lazy, and national and myself are still trying to figure out how they thought it was the clutch. I feel sorry for any one who has gotten suckered into 2100 bucks by them. Not to mention they wanted 280 to change the tranny oil!

A big thumbs up to national transmission in crowfoot for their friendly service and honestly. I would be broke right now if it wasent for them.

Just wanted to share my story with you boys. Thanks!

codetrap
07-21-2006, 09:13 AM

HRD2PLZ
07-21-2006, 09:33 AM
When my mom had her Passat 4Motion, South Centre had bent her over a couple times too. Kind of makes me wonder if the car really needed all of the repairs that South Centre had assured her it was in need of. And all this time I have been thinking that the VW was the most unreliable vehicle we have ever had :thumbsdow

teggypimp95
07-21-2006, 09:36 AM
I think the cars are reliable, its the dealership thats not.

HRD2PLZ
07-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
I think the cars are reliable, its the dealership thats not.

Could be... we'll see. I think that car is a lemon, we have had countless problems with it, both mechanically and electrically. It's at their house in Scottsdale so we'll see how the dealerships are are down there.

heavyD
07-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Always get a second opinion when it comes to transmissions. Many places will diagnose the clutch as needing replacement when it doesn't.

teggypimp95
07-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Yeah im glad i got a second opinion. But how do they justifly there prices?

2100 for a clutch?
280 for tranny fuild?

EK 2.0
07-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Yeah im glad i got a second opinion. But how do they justifly there prices?

2100 for a clutch?
280 for tranny fuild?

labour rates, and the sheer price you pay for parts at dealerships are greatly inflated when compared to those of smaller shops...

teggypimp95
07-21-2006, 09:52 AM
I know that dealership prices will always be higher, but a 1000 more for a clutch? 230 more for tranny oil change, thats just stupid.

SilverBoost
07-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Shops will charge whatever they want as long as there are enough suckers out there to pay it.

$280 for a tranny fluid change BWAH HAA HAAA HA HA....

$2100 for a clutch... HOLY FUCK, not only would I never pay it, but they'd owe me $24.99 for the T-shirt I ruined when I fell on the floor laughing.

Fucking scam artists.

DeeK
07-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Thats too bad, I've never had any major problems with any of my VW's, they are by far the most reliable cars I have driven/owned.

nonsane
07-21-2006, 12:18 PM
btw most fast lube places will replace your manual transmission fluid for 70$ AT MOST.

230$ they are crazy.

Lex350
07-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Well i just wanted to share with you all my store of what happened in the last couple days.

So i took my car into vw south center fine cars becuase my manual GTI seem to be sticking when going into third and slightly un smooth when changing into other gears. So i took it in and 7 hours later they call me saying that i need a new clutch. Im trying to figure out how they came to that assumption, but the lady on the phone assured me thats what needed doing.
So i ask her how much it will cost to get my clutch done. She Says 2100:eek: I nearly shit myself. So i said to her i would come grab the car and take it some where else. When i arrive to pick up the car. I look on the work order and it says they spend .5 hours on my car. This cost me 80 bucks to have them tell me this problem. While i was there i asked how much it would cost for the tranny fuild to be replaced ( i thought for sure this was all that needed doing) she quotes me 280 bucks:thumbsdow .

So i ring up national transmission and tell them that i will be needed a new clutch put in my car right away. They said sure no problem, bring it by right now and we will have it done for you in a day or 2. They quote me 1000-1100 for a new clutch. This was much better:)

The next morning i get a call from national transmission. One of there mechanics explains to me that he has been driving the car around all morning trying to find a problem, but he cant. He said the clutch feels perfect and very smooth. He dident give up there, he said he would do some poking around and give me a call back in a couple hours.

A few hours gone by and they tell me my car is ready for pick up. :) i go to national to see what exactly they have done. They checked and lubed all the shift linkages and changed the tranny oil with new synthetic oil. I took it for a spin and it felt perfect. Shifting was smooth, clutch was smooth, everything was great. The best part was. National charged me 50 bucks :thumbsup: Problem solved by changing the oil.

I would never take my car to south center fine cars again. They were dishonest, lazy, and national and myself are still trying to figure out how they thought it was the clutch. I feel sorry for any one who has gotten suckered into 2100 bucks by them. Not to mention they wanted 280 to change the tranny oil!

A big thumbs up to national transmission in crowfoot for their friendly service and honestly. I would be broke right now if it wasent for them.

I hope you went back there to try and talk to the servie manager or dealership manager. If I was in your shoes I would contact VW Canada and let them know.

CalgaryB5
07-22-2006, 12:17 AM

You should post up your horrifying experience in here: http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/

AFAIK. SFC have rep visits this local forum.

teggypimp95
07-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah i will be speaking with vw on monday about all this garbage. and i also want my 50 bucks back too! I am a member on eurodrivers so i will post this on there also.Thanks guys.

95golf
07-22-2006, 11:22 AM
wow good thing I read this my golf is going in on tuesday to get my signals working again I guess it wont be going to them anymore

Impreza
07-22-2006, 11:33 AM
What national transmission location did you take your car to?

ZedMan
07-22-2006, 12:31 PM

Rat Fink
07-22-2006, 03:05 PM

scat19
07-22-2006, 04:33 PM
What did we learn from this thread?

ALWAYS get a second opinion.

Toms-SC
07-23-2006, 12:41 AM
Wheres that euro sack rider mark....

pressure_ratio
07-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by scat19
What did we learn from this thread?

ALWAYS get a second opinion.

1- It pays to be mechanically inclined.
2- Just because it's a dealership doesnt mean you can trust them or their work.

R-Audi
07-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Clutch for 2100 is believable.. my clutch was 1200usd including the flywheel which most reccomend replacing.. then labour varies greatly per car.
The service manager of SCFC post and reads Eurodrivers.. so post there. He has been quite helpful thus far.

Graham_A_M
07-24-2006, 07:06 PM
you should go to Aamvic & the BBB about that

Khyron
08-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Northland VW replaced my manual box fluid for 15 mins labour (I already had the syncromesh fluid). That way I didn't have to buy the special adapter nut thing.

And OEM parts are always brutal from the dealer. I find the shop rate isn't any worse than other places though - My NW Toyota dealer was cheaper than the local Certiguards. And so are all the VW dealers (80/hr I believe vs 110).

Concept 1 will put in a VR6 clutch, lightened flywheel, installed for around 1K. Of course, that's assuming you know you need one.

Khyron

RXsevenmonk
08-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Besides concept one who is a good volkswagen mechanic in calgary

Khyron
08-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Tune Dub is a new guy that's been getting good reviews so far. He's over on Macleod by Automotion. His shop often looks closed but it's not.

403.23TUNED

Not sure of anyone else.

Khyron

tapout
08-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Tune Dub is a new guy that's been getting good reviews so far. He's over on Macleod by Automotion. His shop often looks closed but it's not.

403.23TUNED

Not sure of anyone else.

Khyron :werd: george is a good guy:thumbsup:

adidas
08-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Ive had the same problem with my mk4 golf...im just glad that i wont have to get the clutch replaced. :D