PDA

View Full Version : question: New car purchase. (problems w/ dealership)

vincent-h
07-21-2006, 02:25 PM
so my buddy recently went to the dealership and is trying to get a car. he is trading in his older vehicle for a brandnew one.

problem is, he isn't employed right now. so him and his girlfriend are buying it together. they don't make enough money together because he mostly plays poker for money and its not really 'income' according to the dealership.

when he asked the salesperson if he would be the sole owner/registrant of the vehicle the salesperson said yes. so thats the only reason why he went through with the deal. he didn't want to have no one elses name on it. so again the sales person said yes, you don't have to worry just your name will be on the registration/title, ect.

so all the paper work is done, but he needed a co-signer.
the other day he called the dealership to find out how the co-signer is going on and if everyhting is allright, the financial dept. of the dealership was being VERY rude. *He flipped it onto speaker phone after the finance guy started to raise his voice* so I heard most of the convo. now he doesn't want to purchase the vehicle from this peticular dealership now.

today I am thinking of going in with him to cancel the purchase..

so here is our question.

If we get our friend to pull out as the co-signer, is that a legal way to break a contract w/ the dealership? (Co-signer hasn't signed any papers that involve purchasing, he just filled out a credit check and signed it to give them the okay to run a background/credit check on him)

and if we pull out of the contract, they cannot keep our deposit right? when we went in last week, we ASKED them if we should leave the car there and the money for the deposit, they said no. keep the car and cash until all the paper work is done. so I'm kind of believing that if we get the co-signer to pull out we can get this bill of sale contract ripped up.

I am not happy with the way they treated my friend. and my friend is also not impressed with the way he was handled.

thanks all.

lint
07-21-2006, 02:49 PM
you'd think that without a co-signer financing would be rejected. Without financing, how would the dealer expect your friend to pay for the car? And since you haven't put any money down, I don't think there should be any problems.

If they ask just say "financial situation has changed, I can't get a co-signer, can't afford the car. Sorry"

A790
07-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Or disappear.

Or, let them know that the rude customer service you've recieved has caused you to look to other dealerships that are more accomodating and understanding of your needs.

CCM Pro
07-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Legally according to AMVIC they CANNOT keep a deposit especially if co-signor says no go...what dealership anyway??