PDA

View Full Version : Question about RHD...?????

the_new_santa1
07-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Hey, I have been inquiring into importing a "mitsubishi gto" as they call it in Japan very similar to the mitsubishi 300GT, I was wondering is it difficult to drive RHD, I think turning left would be a pain in the ass on a busy intersection...and I will have to have a passenger to go through the mcdonalds drive thru...:( Or go through in reverse...:poosie: Any ways any information anyone has about these Gto's or RHD would be greatly appreciated, and I did a search never found anything but if there is something, PLEASE DONT FLAME ME JUST GIVE ME THE THREAD URL...because I cant find anything...Thanks in advance...:bigpimp:

Mikey_008
07-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Well i tried it and in my opinion...it's too strange! Wasn't really hard....took some time to get use to though! But I personally wouldn't want RHD!

the_new_santa1
07-21-2006, 03:26 PM
you wouldnt want it...?I am getting it kind of to save money twin turbo Awd 3000gt 20 grand, import for about 10....

the_new_santa1
07-21-2006, 03:56 PM
I had nothing better to do so I found a sexy pic....

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/assets/gto.jpg

ZMan2k2
07-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Would it be possible to do a LHD conversion on one of those?? Or import the front clip and put the engine and trans into one here??

A790
07-21-2006, 04:13 PM
This has been beaten to death a thousand and one times.

Find someone with a RHD car and ask if you can go with them for a ride and see for yourself. It's not that big of an adjustment to be completely honest.

- Cam

k98303
07-21-2006, 05:02 PM
i owned a RHD b4. it is actually ok to me. nth strange.

Sorath
07-21-2006, 05:08 PM
buy it, if u crash more parts for people here

the_new_santa1
07-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
Would it be possible to do a LHD conversion on one of those?? Or import the front clip and put the engine and trans into one here??

well I dont know, But I do know that almost anything can be done to almost any car it is just how much time/money/modification it is going to take...wouldnt be worth it....

retro-steve
07-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by the_new_santa1

well I dont know, But I do know that almost anything can be done to almost any car it is just how much time/money/modification it is going to take...wouldnt be worth it....

since it has a LHD counterpart a LHD conversion is quite simple and would take a good shop a weekend to do.

Penguin_Racecar
07-21-2006, 05:23 PM
It's not too bad to drive. I'd recommend driving someone else's RHD car on back roads first so you get used to:
a) shifting with your left hand
b) signalling with your right hand
c) staying in the middle of the road

C I found the hardest. Then again, I had to drive in Vancouver in traffic right away in a new car. You'll be fine if you can get some practice in a RHD car beforehand though.

fordo_11
07-21-2006, 05:24 PM
I drove my dad's RHD in St. Lucia (so it is the normal way there), in terms of getting used to it I don't think it is that bad just takes some time really just like anything else. I think the biggest issue is things like passing on the highway. Don't go through drivethru's except the one at Peter's and that solves that problem, and as for the turning thing I can't help you there because I don't have the experience. I say do it if you really want the car. :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
07-21-2006, 05:27 PM
the hardest part for me when I gave it a go was wipers/signals...other than that...you just have to lean for left turns and its coolio after that...

Penguin_Racecar
07-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by fordo_11
I drove my dad's RHD in St. Lucia (so it is the normal way there)

In St Lucia you can drive on the left side of the road and still not stand out. Wow do they ever drive like maniacs there :)

the_new_santa1
07-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Well I am calling around right now..hopefully By tomorrow I can get a deposit inand everything set up...I also was thinking I see alot of cars in calgary...never seen a 3000gt I dont think.....

Penguin_Racecar
07-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Well I am calling around right now..hopefully By tomorrow I can get a deposit inand everything set up...I also was thinking I see alot of cars in calgary...never seen a 3000gt I dont think.....

You can find both Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT's in Calgary.

the_new_santa1
07-21-2006, 07:03 PM
yeah but the twin turbo all wheel drive ones are not cheap...alot cheaper to import....

Oldskool
07-21-2006, 07:50 PM
RHD is a peice of cake.

For the first little bit, you just have to concentrate on being on the other side of the lane while you drive, other than that its all clockwork, only thing that took me a while to get used to was the blinker light on the right side of the steering wheel, and now when I drive LHD cars i always hit the windshield whipers when im about to change lanes:nut:

EK 2.0
07-21-2006, 07:52 PM
yeah but the twin turbo all wheel drive ones are not cheap...alot cheaper to import....

I THINK there is one for sale on beyond right now...just too lazy to actually search haha...

the_new_santa1
07-22-2006, 04:15 PM
^I saw that he wants way to much...I drove my friends skyline today, it was allright, but came up to a busy intersection, and it was nuts I had to get him to tell me when I could turn left because i couldnt see....I have decided to maybe go with a 240sx with, a sr20 and rd20 or rb25 instead, then at least I know what i am getting, no gambles associated with it.

acura_el
07-22-2006, 04:58 PM
dude, i lived in south africa for a loooong time and when i moved here, LHD really didn't make a big difference

therefore, driving RHD shouldn't make a big difference for u, the only trouble would be that you'd have to be more careful on left turns and not confusing the blinker and wipers...definitely recommended tho cuz u can mack on broads at traffic lights without yelling :thumbsup:

there's a guy around my area who drives a red 3000GT but i think it's a LHD, not 100% sure tho, never really paid much attention to it.

andres_mt
07-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Oldskool
RHD is a peice of cake.

For the first little bit, you just have to concentrate on being on the other side of the lane while you drive, other than that its all clockwork, only thing that took me a while to get used to was the blinker light on the right side of the steering wheel, and now when I drive LHD cars i always hit the windshield whipers when im about to change lanes:nut:

That's exactly the same story I was gonna give.

the_new_santa1
07-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by acura_el
dude, i lived in south africa for a loooong time and when i moved here, LHD really didn't make a big difference

therefore, driving RHD shouldn't make a big difference for u, the only trouble would be that you'd have to be more careful on left turns and not confusing the blinker and wipers...definitely recommended tho cuz u can mack on broads at traffic lights without yelling :thumbsup:

there's a guy around my area who drives a red 3000GT but i think it's a LHD, not 100% sure tho, never really paid much attention to it.

lol, I guess that is true, I have decided to import, the only thing is What company to do it through, I have been refered to relline imports out of edmonton...They sound good I think i might go through them....anyone know of better companys????Or dealt with this company...

schurchill39
07-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Before you started this thread did you search at all. So far every question has been asked a million times.

importconcern.ca is the big one around these parts
jdmconnection.ca is another one I have haerd good things about.
jns-imports.com

But please please please search.

RHD:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121136&highlight=RHD
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118541
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117661
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102755
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99948
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97219

Import Places:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116412
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137058
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128419&highlight=import+concern

This was all from a quick 5min search

the_new_santa1
07-23-2006, 02:02 PM
^Thanks for the help dude, and i did search, Searching would of been a whole lot easier for you, U know what type f bullshit pops up if u type in import.....But thankyou for the links I appreciate it....

schurchill39
07-23-2006, 02:49 PM
no problem
:thumbsup:

paulm
07-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Forget about importing RHD !! Get a 500sl from the Jap auctions these are usualy driven by middle aged gentlemen and are in pristine condition .I have one with 44000 klicks and it is LHD You cant beat the germans for engineering !! No need for Turbos with their engines .
I also have an BMW 850i a/c Schnitzer A super cruiser !!
Have a look at terra2imports.ca and tell them that Paul sent you there !! Two good guys .
Dont use Searail to ship it down though!! These guys will destroy your car ...Trust me !

air_mikey
07-24-2006, 11:00 AM
...never seen a 3000gt I dont think.....

Ive seen a couple 3000gt's in calgary but I have only seen 2 GTO's. One white and one Purplish... damn nice cars. :drool:

takeshi
07-27-2006, 09:14 AM
i like how paul m things haha. that beamer sure looks nice you could even get a porche!
although i do think italians beat germans haha
ferrari anyone?(i think they are italian)

Ben
07-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by takeshi
i like how paul m things haha. that beamer sure looks nice you could even get a porche!
although i do think italians beat germans haha
ferrari anyone?(i think they are italian)

[Ferrari is Russian, a subsidiary of Lada]

A790
07-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Ben

[Ferrari is Russian, a subsidiary of Lada]

I always heard that. Never thought it was true :)

IhateDomestic
07-27-2006, 05:38 PM
It's a bitch driving and the passenger next to you is 6 foot 2 and you gotta take a left on a busy road.

Rollin'
07-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by IhateDomestic
It's a bitch driving and the passenger next to you is 6 foot 2 and you gotta take a left on a busy road.

kinda like taking a right on in a LHD vehicle with a passenger?

Mitsu3000gt
07-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by air_mikey

Ive seen a couple 3000gt's in calgary but I have only seen 2 GTO's. One white and one Purplish... damn nice cars. :drool:

I had a 3000Gt for a couple years - I think there is about 10 in calgary, probably a few more. There are alot more stealths though. You get alot of attention, but that can be a bad thing - Where I used to work, we have to park pretty far away from the building, so later on in the day when there are fewer customers, the cars really thin out between where I am parked and the building. My car got keyed pretty bad down both sides - I think what happened is that my car stands out so someone walked by, thinking I parked so far away because he thought I thought I was too good to park by everyone else. That is my guess anyways.

Also, some people just badge their 3000GT to say GTO, so I dont know how many actual GTO's are in town.

Mark

k98303
07-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by air_mikey

i love that purple gto...dam sexy

these cars are so expensive to maintain..